VOG Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't want to bury this question in the Key West thread, but wanted to ask some of you for some good roads to take through your respective states. If we did nothing but slab, We'd be coming down I-65 until we hit Nashville and then onto I-75 all the way down....obviously that route needs to get more creative!
One of the routes I was looking at was getting off of I-65 right aroung the Tennessee line, hoping onto Rt. 109 through Gallatin, then picking up 840 until we pick back up on I-75 just north of Murfreesboro.
I'm open to any suggestions that would give us some nice scenery, keep us fairly close to our route and, just as imoprtantly, keep us out of suburban traffic hell......these roads can look good on a map, but I never know when I'm gonna get on that one road with 75 stop lights and 100 outlet malls.
Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Mark, I took I-24 one time and it was pretty nice (Nashville - Chattanooga). Allot of elevation changes. If you have the added time turn off on route 2 near Kimball then get back on I-24 to I-75

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
dsjr70 said:
Mark, I took I-24 one time and it was pretty nice (Nashville - Chattanooga). Allot of elevation changes. If you have the added time turn off on route 2 near Kimball then get back on I-24 to I-75
Having "grown-up" in that neck of the woods, I'll agree, that I-24 between Nashville and Chattanooga is a great ride. Monteagle Mountain is designed for a touring bike.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Another option is to take I 74 from Indianapolis to Cincinnati and then I 75 South through Knoxville and Chattanooga. Driving through Indianapolis, Louisville, and Nashville is no treat. Hit it wrong and Louisville and Nashville traffic can be bad. Take 465 around Indianapolis and 275 around Cincinnati. There is a nice shortcut to 275. It's Indiana 1 near St Leon about 10 miles from the Ohio line. It's a nice two lane that get you off the interstate for a while and can save a few minutes.

I use to drive from Indy to Atlanta several times a year and found the route above to be less tiresome. However, Andy is correct, Monteagle is a cool ride.

Good luck.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If your looking to get off the slab and see some scenery, get of I 40 @ Hwy111 I believe it is exit288 and head south then get off 111 @hwy127/8 in Dunlap to the right, 111 will bring you thru the mountains and then you have a few choices to get back on I 24 to I 75 . 127 changes to hwy 28 and will bring you thru the valley to I 24, or you can get turn left on 27 and ride our version of the Dragon across Suck Creek Mtn and stay on 27 back to I 24

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.