VOG Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to have a problem whenever I try to send a pm and/or often when I try to access message boards and vote on polls. I click to submit my pm message or reply and the site hangs up to the point where my browser gives me a message that the website is not responding. In order to get the site to load again I usually reset (empty cache) Safari. I'm on a Mac. Is this something weird on my browser settings, or is this happening to others? I'm not running any antivirus software or firewall. All other functions on tis site work great like posting, gallery, videos, etc...

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
I constantly am testing this site with various browsers including Safari (I'm on a Mac with Safari as I write this reply) and have not experienced this.

Is anyone else experiencing this delay? Please post comments here and we'll jump on it. Thanks for the heads-up.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For example Andy I just tried to vote on a poll and the site hung up and failed to open eventually. I'm able open other windows and access other web sites while its hung up, but not theVog. Strange. I suppose it will turn out to be pilot error, again:)

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Im on a pc so i cant answer for the mac part The polls work ok for me. It is my understanding that the PM aspect is not up and running and as it was explained to me by Andy when i asked him the same question, it is the intention of this site to encourage topics to be for everyone to see and possibly help everyone. The message area is up and working fine for any "E-mail" type of notes.
Hope that helps, And Andy i hope i didnt overstep by answering.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I have such a terrible upload speed. I just did a speakeasy speed test and my download speed is 7600 kbps which is fine, but the upload speed is 489 kbps. Maybe some of the functions that are slow are dependent somewhat upon upload speed? I'm just guessing of course.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Clubford00 said:
It is my understanding that the PM aspect is not up and running and as it was explained to me by Andy when i asked him the same question, it is the intention of this site to encourage topics to be for everyone to see and possibly help everyone.

The PMs are working. I think Clubford is referring to IMs (Instant Messages)...which we don't have. We have PMs (Private Messages) which are the same as internal emails. This feature allows you to send a message (ie Email) to another Member and that Member will receive a notification they have a message to their registered email address. There is a reason behind this...It keeps Member's email addresses private...and that's a good thing!

The reason that we don't have IMs on this site is that it can be distracting when you're reading a post and get berated with IM windows opening on your desktop. Remember when we were all (or at least some) of us used AOL and were constantly receiving IMs? What a pain!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I'm on my PC now and I can pm vote on polls and do all that stuff with lightning fast reliability. Not sure why my trusty Mac is being such a pain. I did the speed test with this computer and it also logs crappy upload speeds. It does not effect navigation though, so that was an unfounded long shot.

Thank you Andy for trying to help me out. Jeez I hope I didn't cause too much stress. I think either I better ride to Florida so I can buy you a beer or you'll have to ride up to Iowa so I can buy you one. Sorry for the hassle.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
bernomad said:
Oops!!

Problem is mine everybody. Sorry! The site continues to rock solidly as usual. Now back to regular programming.
Must be Mac related, I have had problems with the site since day one. Deleting all my cookies makes the site stable, but only for a while, then I'm back to deleting cookies.

Your upload/download speed in fine, expect the upload to be about 10% of the download.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Candubrain said:
bernomad said:
Oops!!

Problem is mine everybody. Sorry! The site continues to rock solidly as usual. Now back to regular programming.
Must be Mac related, I have had problems with the site since day one. Deleting all my cookies makes the site stable, but only for a while, then I'm back to deleting cookies.

Your upload/download speed in fine, expect the upload to be about 10% of the download.
I wonder what the cause is. Yeah the upload speed is pathetic. It used to be much better, but I suppose the internet provider is cutting corners now. Not sure why it dropped off.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Are you using wireless or an ethernet cable?
Wifi will also slow your speed. Plug er in if you havent. I use a wireless laptop, but when i plugged it in i was amazed at the speed difference. It stays plugged in all the time at home.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
My Mac was the top of the line when I purchased it in Dec 08, the operating system and all software is up to date, and I connect via an ethernet cable, and my service provider is with high speed cable.
This is the result from today's speed test at
http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Last Result:
Download Speed:
4757kbps (594.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed:
474kbps (59.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

On a side note the hyper link function does not work for me either.
I have tried both FireFox and Safari, and experience the same issues with both.
I subscribe to 3 HD forums and 4 Vic forums, this is the only site that gives me issues, which are:
-time outs on private messages
-time outs on uploading images
-time outs if I reply to more than 2 or 3 posts during a visit
-time out if I log on, but if I go directly to a recent post, the site automatically recognizes me without log on and I can go to my profile or post a message.
-clearing my cookies allows me to stay active longer, but eventually I get the time out and have to clear cookies to continue
-when I do time out, I close the tab in the browser and wait about 15 minutes before the site begins to work again, if I do it sooner, the site times out again.
I have corresponded with Andy regarding these issues for about a month now. There was a short period of time the system work, but it has reverted back to having issues.
Logging on from work (pc's) the site is fine.

This is one of the best sites I visit, so I tolerate the frustration.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
I dont know if a mac works with this , because i know nothing about macs, but i use Google Chrome, and for me its lightning fast. Im also using comcast high speed and an Acer notebook PC. No complaints for me.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Can't figure it out from this end either Andy.
I have learned to live with it, and limit my activity
thanks for investigating, I still say this is the best site out there

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.