VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Jackpot. Which calls for a 250/40R18 rear tire. My question is would a car tire with either size of 245/40R18 or 255/40R18 fit my wheel?

I was at Sam's club today and seen Pirelli had a car tire that was fairly rounded and I thought it might make a good bike tire. And I see they don't sell tires exactly the size I need of 250.

Any advice/help would be appreciated...thank you

·
Registered
444 Posts
The "darksiders" will tell you to go for it. Everyone else will advise against it.

The wider the read tire, the less the front end will handle...thats shy the JP doesn't handle very well as is...wide rear and narrow front. Add a car tire to the rear and you'll likely lose all control over 70 mph - speculation but probably accurate.

My 2 cent:

Motorcycle rims and car tires have different mounting surfaces and the bead doesn't match.

Car tires are designed to handle lateral loads, motorcycle tires are designed to handle vertical loads.

Sidewalls are designed completely different between the two.

Compounds are completely different. Motorcycle tires are softer for better traction.

Why don't car tire manufacturers make motorcycle tires?

Check with your insurance company to see if your motorcycle will be covered in the event of a mishap with a tire that doesn't meet manufacturer recommendations.

I would never use a car tire on my bike...ever. but, that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Tire Size Comparison
Well we have heard fromsome that don,t but here is a sight that gives pretty good comparative info!
I personally use MT but I know several who choose C/T ,Oi also follow a Dardside forum,and have read tons on dark sideing along with a member of this sights experience on iron butt rides ,
Rollin!
Tottally agreed on the further effects a car tire will likely have on the tiny front agianst the fat back,hut im not you!
Im going to sugest care be taken when you compare wieght as well as rotation numbers per mile!
Also remember if gou choose to go C/T tires that have lower millage expectations or rateing are generally softer compounds ,also the flex of sidewall will be an issue if you enjoy the fast get aways but also rotational force with the wieght issue may in fact slow you!
Many many things to consider!
Enjoy the learning curve!
Im just beginning!

Reactions: KeepRidin!

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Look up the Darkside list online --tons of real world info.
I have used car tires for at leaat 40,000 miles. Tons of heavy cornering and 2up.
Better in rain. Better on dirt. Increased rear braking.

No, it's not the same as a bike tire.
No, it is not dangerous and All the naysayers have never tried it.

Give it a try and post your results. The dealer I had was happy to mount them.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
First thing is you need to completely ignore any of the naysayers. They don't know what they are talking about; it's pure speculation with no real world experience.

Now for some real world facts I verified. I've run two different CT's on my XC with fantastic results and will continue to indefinitely. I also ran a CT on a 2007 Softail. The bike will handle the tire just fine at any speed the stock MT will but, and here is the caveat, if the tire isn't rounded enough on a light bike like that Softail or your Jackpot, you're not gonna like the way it handles in the twisties. It will also catch ridges in the road very easily. A lower air pressure of around 25 psi will help but the tire design is critical on lighter bikes.

My personal experience is that I have learned CT's are great on touring or heavy bagger bikes but aren't a great idea on lighter bikes like the JP, KP, Vegas, etc. simply because the CT needs the weight of the heavier bike to handle the way we want them to. Otherwise there's no reason not to.

Take this as you will but don't listen to the naysayers. They always say things like insurance won't cover a bike with a CT which is a bald-faced lie. The tire is rated and approved for a car so it's approved for the road. If it isn't okay for a bike; it isn't okay for a car. Another stupid thing they say is you don't see MT's on cars like they are the same. Major DUH! I've done battle with these naysayers for 8 years now with them saying the same things over and over even though they have been educated many times; some by me.

Check out the Darksider forum on the Goldwing forum for lots of good info. Think for yourself and don't listen to those who know nothing.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
First thing is you need to completely ignore any of the naysayers. They don't know what they are talking about; it's pure speculation with no real world experience.

Now for some real world facts I verified. I've run two different CT's on my XC with fantastic results and will continue to indefinitely. I also ran a CT on a 2007 Softail. The bike will handle the tire just fine at any speed the stock MT will but, and here is the caveat, if the tire isn't rounded enough on a light bike like that Softail or your Jackpot, you're not gonna like the way it handles in the twisties. It will also catch ridges in the road very easily. A lower air pressure of around 25 psi will help but the tire design is critical on lighter bikes.

My personal experience is that I have learned CT's are great on touring or heavy bagger bikes but aren't a great idea on lighter bikes like the JP, KP, Vegas, etc. simply because the CT needs the weight of the heavier bike to handle the way we want them to. Otherwise there's no reason not to.

Take this as you will but don't listen to the naysayers. They always say things like insurance won't cover a bike with a CT which is a bald-faced lie. The tire is rated and approved for a car so it's approved for the road. If it isn't okay for a bike; it isn't okay for a car. Another stupid thing they say is you don't see MT's on cars like they are the same. Major DUH! I've done battle with these naysayers for 8 years now with them saying the same things over and over even though they have been educated many times; some by me.

Check out the Darksider forum on the Goldwing forum for lots of good info. Think for yourself and don't listen to those who know nothing.
View attachment 459961
K
I have both the Kingpin at right around 700 lbs and the vegas aprox 50 lbs lighter!
Other then the fact that Im haveing a difficult time locateing a very very sclose match C/T
Im going to go that way myself!
The problem is where in the hell do I find a 185 /55 / 18 C/T or who makes it!
Will only do the Kingpin first as when I go to rideing and mileing that old geezer glide pin has some wieght stacked on it

Reactions: Rollin

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
K
I have both the Kingpin at right around 700 lbs and the vegas aprox 50 lbs lighter!
Other then the fact that Im haveing a difficult time locateing a very very sclose match C/T
Will only do the Kingpin first as when I go to rideing and mileing that old geezer glide pin has some wieght stacked on it
I use Tirerack.com

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
K
The first Victory that I saw with a car tire was a Kingpin, he was using a Vision wheel.
I was at the 2011 Victory Rally and was telling a Victory rider that I was planning a trip to Deadhorse, Alaska and that I was concerned about tire choices. He says "use a car tire".
I replied "what!!!, people are using a car tire on Victory's?" He says "come with me". He showed me his Kingpin and another Victory at the rally that was using a car tire.
I smiled and said "thank you!, you just made this ride possible!" When I got home I ordered a car tire and the rest is history. :)

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
K
I have never had any luck locating a tire to fit the stock size KP rear wheel. What has been done is retrofitting a Cross bike rear wheel. I believe a spacer had to be made to fit to put the pulley and rotor in alignment.

You sure have your KP set up kinda heavy. If it wasn't for that level of weight I don't think you would like a CT on it.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
The first Victory that I saw with a car tire was a Kingpin, he was using a Vision wheel.
I was at the 2011 Victory Rally and was telling a Victory rider that I was planning a trip to Deadhorse, Alaska and that I was concerned about tire choices. He says "use a car tire".
I replied "what!!!, people are using a car tire on Victory's?" He says "come with me". He showed me his Kingpin and another Victory at the rally that was using a car tire.
I smiled and said "thank you!, you just made this ride possible!" When I got home I ordered a car tire and the rest is history. :)
Thanks for the correction. It was from you I heard someone retrofitting a Vision wheel (not Cross bike). They are the same size though. If memory serves; you also mentioned a custom spacer. Correct?

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread
I run a car tire and its fine. Draw back you can lean as far over as with a MC tire. Second it takes more effort in corners and clover leafs.
So if you like to lean hard into the canon curves I wouldn't advise it. 26 thousand on that one

·
Registered
865 Posts

View attachment 459961
Don't want to start an argument, but you put the ct in this lean angle you might have problems.
I get it. I have ridden ct. It works. But no way I'm gonna get this out of that. So it's preference. Im not a naysayers that speaks from no experience. But the attitude that all that choose not to use it and give their thoughts are simply naysayers speaks volumes.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Don't want to start an argument, but you put the ct in this lean angle you might have problems.
I get it. I have ridden ct. It works. But no way I'm gonna get this out of that. So it's preference. Im not a naysayers that speaks from no experience. But the attitude that all that choose not to use it and give their thoughts are simply naysayers speaks volumes.
I would concede if someone spends more time in the twisties than on the straights; they would be better off with a MT. Those who benefit most from CT's are those who live in places like AZ where the roads are flat and straight. Gently curving mountain roads are fine too. If you live for rides like on The Dragon; probably best to stick with a MT.

I personally scrape my floorboards all the time so lean angle is not an issue with a CT. The issue is wearing out the corners of the tire negating one of the best features of a CT; longevity.

In fairness there are now MT's that get some dang good mileage as well. Some claim up to 20k. I expect to get between 25k and 30k on the one on my XC. Coupled with it being a runflat tire; it's pretty much a set it and forget it (other than psi checks) tire. I also use the balancing beads so it stays balanced for the life of the tire and gets even more mileage. Rear braking is better with a CT as well but that's a minor issue since motorcycles get most of its stopping power from the front brakes/wheel/tire.

OP: My point is don't listen to those who think they know what they are talking about; including me. Do your research and make an informed decision for yourself. The info is out there for anyone who cares to do a bit of reading. CT's aren't for everyone and there is an adjustment to make in the ride. Most can do it by the time the tire is broken in and has all the oils and stuff wore off it.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I would concede if someone spends more time in the twisties than on the straights; they would be better off with a MT. Those who benefit most from CT's are those who live in places like AZ where the roads are flat and straight. Gently curving mountain roads are fine too. If you live for rides like on The Dragon; probably best to stick with a MT.

I personally scrape my floorboards all the time so lean angle is not an issue with a CT. The issue is wearing out the corners of the tire negating one of the best features of a CT; longevity.

In fairness there are now MT's that get some dang good mileage as well. Some claim up to 20k. I expect to get between 25k and 30k on the one on my XC. Coupled with it being a runflat tire; it's pretty much a set it and forget it (other than psi checks) tire. I also use the balancing beads so it stays balanced for the life of the tire and gets even more mileage. Rear braking is better with a CT as well but that's a minor issue since motorcycles get most of its stopping power from the front brakes/wheel/tire.

OP: My point is don't listen to those who think they know what they are talking about; including me. Do your research and make an informed decision for yourself. The info is out there for anyone who cares to do a bit of reading. CT's aren't for everyone and there is an adjustment to make in the ride. Most can do it by the time the tire is broken in and has all the oils and stuff wore off it.
That's pretty much where I was going too and I appreciate your insight on understanding that. It's personal choice. I don't see anything wrong with it but there are differences in it's handling characteristics and abilities that should be presented.

Reactions: BBob
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.