Question about the Scout Bobber | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Question about the Scout Bobber

Discussion in 'Indian Scout' started by Jbook815, May 29, 2019.

1. Jbook815

Jbook815 New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2016 Victory Vegas
    Hello everyone, I am thinking about moving to a scout bobber from my 2016 Victory Vegas. A few days ago my bike was tipped over on an incline and sustained massive damage...bad enough where it warped my bars. The likelihood of finding both a tank and front end are pretty poor in addition to everything else which sustained damage. I am anticipating a write off and am ready to move on. I love the Scout Bobber but might be a bit tall for it. I am 6' 1 , 230 with a 32 inch inseam. Is there a way to set these up with forward controls from the factory or is it an add on? Hoping the insurance issue is remediated soon so I can get back on the road again, hopefully on a Scout Bobber...maybe even just a normal scout.

2. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

'14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    Frankly I wouldn't give you a plugged nickel for a Scout. They are small, cramped, cheap, the suspension sucks and it provides very limited range because of the tiny tank. But then, that is just me. If range or ride quality isn't an issue for you it just might work. Notice I didn't say it was ugly. I actually think they look pretty good. But I can't even sit on one, let alone try and ride the damned thing.

You might want to look into the Triumph Bobber or Bobber Black. Or better yet the Speedmaster. The Speedmaster is a great bike. I rode the Speedmaster and almost bought it right there on the spot! But I could not justify having to move one of my other bikes to accommodate that one. And it didn't have a big enough tank for me. Seriously, if you can get a test ride, definitely check them out. Chances are you will like them better, but you might come back to the Scout as well. At least you did your due diligence.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Known1

Known1 Well-Known Member

2013 Cross Country Tour
    Are you 100+ miles from an Indian dealer or something? Why not just go test ride one?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. lou8700

lou8700 Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads, 2014 Honda Valkyrie
    If you want to buy American made than Indian is your best option. As long as you're test riding them check out the Chief Dark Horse or Springfield. Might be much more comfortable for you.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. bikendad

bikendad Well-Known Member

2010 Victory Cross Country
    The Scout is a nice "little" bike, you're a very big guy.......why not get a big boy bike?

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    I’m 5’8 and felt the Scout was too small. The Triumph bikes are too for a fellow your size. Only a test ride will do it for you. Personally I would fix the Vegas.

If your thinking a new cruiser then I would look at a Chief. Ride a Springfield while your there. Amazing ride. Twice the price though. Ever ride a bagger ?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Teflon Mike

Teflon Mike Well-Known Member

2014 Vegas 8 Ball & 2017 chieftain
    Scouts are pretty small. Scout bobbers are even smaller. It sounds like you have your next bike picked out though. If I were you and it had to be a scout/bobber, I'd buy a scout and "bob" it. Scouts have a more forgiving suspension than the bobber and sit slightly higher.

IMG_0973.JPG

There are still better options out there for someone your height though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. kaitiff

kaitiff Well-Known Member

14 XC/07 KPT
    I"d have to say the same.. I took a Scout (regular) and an Octane out for some hooligan test riding and it was a total blast.. but the idea of that being my only bike? NOPE. I felt like a bear on a tricycle at the circus.. I'm 6'2" and 250. For something that would be equivalent I second the Triumph offerings. The Speedmaster is all that and a bag of chips if you're wanting a capable machine that is smaller than a Vegas. Just my 2 red cents.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ampdreamer

Ampdreamer Well-Known Member

2004 victory vegas
    I rode the scout and i just thought it was to light. A brisk wind will make you fight to stay in your lane. Plus doesn't handle the bumps like the Vegas with it's shorter wheel base. I rode the cheiftain dark horse and loved it, but if you liked your vegas why not just look for a garage queen. I've seen many used vegases with approx 20,000 miles on them between $3400- $6000. I'd buy that and save some money. The only reason I'd buy something else would be as a 2nd bike to my Vegas or if I wanted a bike with a fairing.

10. Jbook815

Jbook815 New Member

2016 Victory Vegas
    Thanks for the insight everyone, I am getting a better idea of how small these scouts are. I should probably stick with a larger framed bike, I will also be taking a ride up to my local Triumph (which also happens to be an Indian dealer) and check out some of what they have to offer. I don't think I'm necessarily partial to owning only American, but I might feel a little weird if I go with a foreign bike. In any case, if I do, Triumph is probably the way to go. Here's to hoping that my bike isnt a total loss, but I have the feeling this is going to be a difficult fix. It took me 3 months to get passenger pegs...I dont even want to know what the hunt for main OEM parts is going to be like.

• Like Like x 1
  11. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    I too really like the Triumphs, and if you can get to a Ducati dealer check out their Scrambler line for another nice option for this style of bike.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. 53canuck

53canuck Well-Known Member

2011 KP
    If it's a write-off take the cash and look for another Vic. You already know they're the right size and good performers. There's some great deals on low mileage units to be had if you're willing to travel a bit. Maybe even try a different model.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. DBbear127

DBbear127 Active Member

2009 Victory Vision Tour Premium
    Bars and tanks are easily sourced and available... are you just done with the Vegas and looking through move on? As others have mentioned, a garage queen with goodies already installed can be had for around $5000. Couldn’t walk away from the style, performance and reliability for an Indian... just my input... take it as you wish.

14. Jbook815

Jbook815 New Member

2016 Victory Vegas
    Just saw the Scrambler 1100 sport...beautiful bike and it looks like a blast to ride.

15. Jbook815

Jbook815 New Member

2016 Victory Vegas
    I am just thinking worst case scenario right now, I would absolutely consider another Vic if a new bike is in order. I love my Vegas, but I would likely look for a Cross Country if I were to stay in the brand.