VOG Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bad starter, and I want to be able to ride the bike to where I'm gonna fix it.. but I haven't tried push starting one of these (successfully anyways). Anyone had to do it and have it work? It'd be nice to ride it instead of having to load it. I did try to push start an old 01 V92C but it had electrical issues so maybe that's why it wouldn't work. I have a LOT of experience push starting big bikes... I had a Harley that had a lot of electrical problems and I got to where I could push start that big bastard by myself on the flat. I have a big hill here at my house, just didn't wanna have to push the big bastard back UP the hill if it didn't work. :)

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
What about raising the rear end and using a new buffer wheel on a drill to get that rear wheel up to speed? It was always easy for me with the GW on a center stand. Also had electrical issues with it and idiot issues because I'd leave the key on after killing it and go for lunch.

Reactions: Yago20

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
As above was my almost exact thoughts of putting up rear on a stand of sorts and using the third or even 4th gear and do it that way.....

·
Registered
600 Posts
I had to push start my 2011 CC one time down a hill. I used 2nd and then 3rd and that was too much drag. 4th did the trick and off I went. Good luck.

Reactions: mister-g

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Once i rolled down a steep hill at a hotel on a mountain at 5 in the morning so we didnt wake up other guests and i tried to pop the clutch of the jackpot .... Didnt work, just locked the rear up, but the CC has more weight ....

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
What about pulling the starter out at the house? And then installing a new one. With where they're located it will be easier than trying to push start it, rasing the wheel up, or having to load it.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
You HAVE to jump down on the seat the same exact time you pop the clutch lever for the rear tire to BITE!

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Problem solved:

·
Registered
474 Posts
What a stupid and dangerous thing to do, especially with two big heavy bikes and being so close. In addition, some bikes only get proper lubrication of the output shaft with the engine running. Don't ever do this.

I'm 65 now, but back when I was a teenager my 2-stroke bike craped out about 10 miles from home. My dad towed me home using his car with a rope that I held with my left hand. Arrived home without crashing, but it was an adventure that I never wanted to repeat.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
What a stupid and dangerous thing to do, especially with two big heavy bikes and being so close. In addition, some bikes only get proper lubrication of the output shaft with the engine running. Don't ever do this.
Yep. I posted it as sarcasm.

·
Registered
865 Posts

I'm 65 now, but back when I was a teenager my 2-stroke bike craped out about 10 miles from home. My dad towed me home using his car with a rope that I held with my left hand. Arrived home without crashing, but it was an adventure that I never wanted to repeat.
Never said it was smart but I ride dirt bikes in the desert. Have competed doing that as well. There have been a couple times where all else failed.
But I'm not dumb enough to get towed for 10 miles regardless of how old I am. Its out of necessity, never dumb enough to try that on cruiser, but to imply I'm stupid, fox smells his own hole.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
I over-analyze. I had a 1985 Honda Goldwing Aspencade. Left the lights on, battery died... never push started a bike, let alone a "touring" bike. 1st gear got that front wheel about 6" higher than my scrotum, which turtled.

• Haha
Reactions: FoFo and bikendad

·
Registered
299 Posts
You HAVE to jump down on the seat the same exact time you pop the clutch lever for the rear tire to BITE!
Yep, I've been using the same technique for 55 years on all kinds of bikes: get it in a gear you can handle, ignition on, clutch handle pulled, push it and then jump on the bike side saddle, while simultaneously releasing the clutch lever. If you don't provide a bit of weight, the back wheel will just skid.

Cheers
John

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Buy one on eBay and change it under the shade tree. It's not that hard.

Reactions: FoFo
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.