VOG Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - yesterday I bought a new bike (w/ my son). Scheduled to arrive in 3 weeks. I really bought it w/ my son (he could not afford it on his own - he's going into the Air Force in March). We ordered a 2010 Harley Street Glide. That's what he wanted. I tried to steer him to a X-Country. He looked & looked - but the old Harley appeal kept pulling him back.

I really thought a combo of price, the 106 cu. in. motor - and maintenance would convince him. Ah well ...... not to be. He ordered it in "Red Hot Sun Glo." Sigh .....

·
Registered
1,054 Posts

O'Well, Mongo can lead horse to water, but no can mak'em drink!!
At least he got the new (09-10) frame which handles way better than the previous ones, and he'll still have a bunch of fun wid it.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
well know you need to go buy a Cross bike. That way when you're riding together and you're outrunning him in the straights, out manuvering him in the turns and when you stop more people question you about your bike you'll teach him a valuable lesson.

Name recognition is a nice thing but but being the best you can be is where it's really at.

Not a bad choice by any means, but may not have been the most bang for the buck.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Congrats to you and the son!!

The Street Glide is an AWESOME bike.... ;)
Nothing wrong with that bike!!!

personally, I think they are apples and oranges ...HDs and Vics..
not bad or better, just really different...depends on what you like.
I loved my HD, but the Vic is a different story all together.

Good luck with it! I hope he gets to enjoy it before taking off!

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
redpin04 said:
well know you need to go buy a Cross bike. That way when you're riding together and you're outrunning him in the straights, out manuvering him in the turns and when you stop more people question you about your bike you'll teach him a valuable lesson.

Name recognition is a nice thing but but being the best you can be is where it's really at.

Not a bad choice by any means, but may not have been the most bang for the buck.
I agree. Lots of factors - value, performance, maintenance, handling.
It's a terrible thing to waste youth on the young eh??
It is a beautiful bike - a real good looker. But ..... the cover isn't everything.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dsjr70 said:
Congrats on the HD, never had a problem with the bikes, just the arrogant dealers. They make a really good bike(just not as god...lol)
I understand. That also was one of the selling points. The owner & I have been buddies for 25 yrs. We still go dirt riding together out in the Ca. desert. The dealer support is more like family - real close. My son felt comfortable there - loved the look - and we got a little discount. In my opinion - I think the "brand name" & the mystique had some heavy influence. You know - that peer "cool factor."

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
advntrus said:
My Son turned 17 last month. Still has his learners permit though. Probably get the licence in the summer. My wife will scream when she reads this, but I can't wait to buy him his first bike. I'm thinking Jackpot or Kingpin, but honestly, I am envious of you. It hardly matters to me what bike he's on, I'm after those father-son moments that come with the road trips.
Congrads on your sons bike!
Shawn
Personally being a father of 3 sons ages 19,23, and 24 I wouldn't rush it. These boys have way more testosterone than sense, lots of car accidents. My 24 year old is finally maturing(after damn near killing himself in a high speed car accident a couple of years back) and not driving like a fool, give it some time.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Personally being a father of 3 sons ages 19,23, and 24 I wouldn't rush it. These boys have way more testosterone than sense, lots of car accidents. My 24 year old is finally maturing(after damn near killing himself in a high speed car accident a couple of years back) and not driving like a fool, give it some time.
[/quote]

Amen. I have two sons, now about 30. Have grown to be good men but would have hated to see them ride as teenagers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.