VOG Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i have seen this discussed in another thread but i am curious how many have a problem with backfiring on these closed loop 08/09 vics.? I have owned 4 victorys and my 2006 Cory ness was by far the best running. Some guys dont think is a big deal and others like me are DISGUSTED and embarrased by this backfiring. I have the Lloyds box and it doesnt help. I have talked to Adam at Lloyds and he says a fix is being developed?? According to him 99% of these newer bikes backfire. I cant believe they dont fix this NOW- how silly do we look when we ride up to some Harley and as our bikes RPM comes down we get this sometimes loud backfiring (usually when i pick the throttle back up orshift gears).
I alo have a more dangerous problem that I have read on here that others have to. My bike will sometimes almost stall as you take off!!! Its not every time and it always seems to happen after bike is at running temps. At idle or with clutch pulled in if you gas it a little the bike will sometimes stumble or hesitate for a second (like a misfire)??? This BS and I am looking for any help that may be out there. The bike runs great on the highway and accelerates hard etc. just these two issues are a HUGE deal to me. My bike has only 800 miles on it and from what I have read isnt that different then others??? I bought this from a Honda dealer and we didnt notice any problems cause the bike has to be warm to show these signs ( it was raining when we went out of state to pick up).
I am going to call LLodz and see how much it would be to convert this back to and older fueling system or if he has ANY fix for both problems if not I will be looking for a dealer or individual to trade a my 2008 jackpot extreme for an 2006 or 2007 ness bike or extreme???
I have owned 4 vics and am very dissapointed that the newer bikes have such a lousy designed fueling system. My early vics couldnt keep plugs in them cause the dealer had us trying to run straight pipes. I was lucky to get 1000 miles out of a set. I thought the fuel issues were over after the 06 ness ran so good??? Anyone who has cured this problem PLEASE cooment on your fix. THANKS

·
Registered
234 Posts
That sucks.. It has to be a poorly tuned fuel system.

I have a 2004 KP with S&S and Stage One pipes and never have these problems.

However, I used to have a problem with steady riding around 2,000 RPM before the S&S upgrade. The bike would backfire and sputter if I rode at a steady 2,000 RPM. It always did this worst when I used certain types of gasoline (all premium, I do not run anything less unless no choice). I tried Chevron premium and it was much better, but still there.

However, once I switched to S&S filter and the S&S map, I do not have this problem, period. However, I am still using Chevron premium.

Try Chevron premium and see if it is better. Gasoline can make a difference.

One other option, try cleaning the Throttle bodies with a carb spray on a Q-tip. DO NOT SPRAY the carb cleaner into the throttle bodies. Cleaning throttle bodies will improve performance and can take care of minor fuel delivery problems. You should clean them at least every 5,000 miles under normal riding conditions and 2500 under severe dusty or when using less than premium gas. Although this is not in the maitenance guide, it is necessary to keep the Vic running at optimum. Also check your plugs.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
609 Posts

Wow... this should be called the "Can of Worms" thread. I think almost everyone's pops and farts to some degree. I dunno, closed loop issue or not, mine doesn't do it any worse than a carbed bike with opened up pipes. I've had a bunch of bikes and so have my friends and once the pipes were changed they did this. (Hondas, Suzukis, Harleys and Vics)
As for the clutch-in stall, mine did it a couple times during my 1st week back in Canada after being in Texas. Not sure if it was moisture in the fuel or what, but it hasn't done it since. All my buddies had their bikes run like ass down there too. I think we all got bad gas.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Sorry monkey666 this is not normal- I had an 06 jackpot ness which NEVER backfired with santa rosa pipes. I know i am not the only one with this issue cause on the tech Q & A section theres a 3 page long post on these same issues, just no answer how to fix. I thought more would see it on the main page and maybe someone would have an answer. My father has an 2004 harley heritage with short shots and NO backfires(fuel injected) and had a similar 2002 carb model with no backfires. I am surrounded bu harleys and NEVER hear backfire. I am a VICTORY man and am baffled by this. I spoke with Randys cycle (a victory dealer) in Huntly IL yesterday and Ralph said he couldnt gaurentee he could eliminate the problem on an 2008 or 09??? I also spoke with INDY victory and their tech said all the 08 09 bike have this issue. He also agreed he could tune the older bike and get rid of this problem.
I am thinking of switching to an s&s intake and their fuel map to see if this makes it better???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.