VOG Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did the Timing wheel install on my 2012 CCT back in 2013, NO ISSUES. I'm now trying to do it on my newly aquired 2011 Vision. I have removed the 6 bolts from the cover, BUT, the cover will not come off, it doesn't wiggle, rock or budge at all. I've tapped areas where reachable with a rubber mallet, but still nothing? I also tried a hooked pick on edges I could grab, this too failed. I know there is a slim possibility the PO may have been in there and used a adhesive when closing it up, but this is as I said slim. Any ideas would be helpful. P.S. I'm not weak.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Just asking... You did get all 6 bolts out correct?

Being it's a bit older it's likely that the gasket is holding it on. Try running a razor blade between the cover and block. Then gently tap a thin blade between the two.

Good luck

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitely removed the 6 bolts, I'll try heat gun first, then the blade, thanks guys.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Don't pry or do anything to F up the gasket surface. Once you booger up the case, that's it done. You can't un-do it. Oil leak...

The previous owner was probably too cheap to spring for a reusable gasket and used some kind of pookie on it... A new cover is a lot easier and cheaper than new cases. If you have to beat up on something, make it the cover, not the engine case.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all, got it off today without f#cken it up. Took her for a 200 plus ride today (we were lucky to hit 60 degrees), got her home, she was hot and initially cover still didnt want to come off. I was able to catch enough of the cover edge at the 10 and 2 o'clock bolt holes with a small wonder bar (just pulled, no prying) and work it off. Previous owner put something on cover pins to keep gasket from falling off during cover install, Unlike my 2012 CCT, these pins are on the cover, this was definitely the culprit. Thanks again all.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Jeeeeeez what a saga, glad you got it off, why would someone take off a timing wheel cover without replacing that cheap chineese polanis gasket they suck on there ...

Good job @Half_Crazy For calling the sealant posibility

Ha ha ha

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.