VOG Forum banner
101 - 120 of 137 Posts

· Registered
418 Posts
If TPS is removed or replaced it must be recalibrated using Digital Wrench. Rylan Voss might have a home shop work around. [email protected]

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Could the internal potentiometer of the TPS be different even though the exterior is the same?
Dunno...what's a potentiometer..

But, my local auto parts store wants $270 for a part of the same description.
Look on eBay and prices vary from hundreds right down to $15 with many and varied prices for what's supposed to be the same item.

• Informative
Reactions: Bikesofbrads

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
If TPS is removed or replaced it must be recalibrated using Digital Wrench. Rylan Voss might have a home shop work around. [email protected]
I'm in Australia, where'd you get that info from...I don't like the sound of that

• Agree
Reactions: MagVic CCT

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Today I tested the $15 TPS as per many YouTube vids.
3 wires 5 volts in
Ground
Signal
Cut a bit of migwire and used it as a needle probe up the signal wire, grounded the multimeter black and put the red probe on the wire and slowly rotated the throttle.
Numbers rose from .66 to 4.30v
Gradual increase as throttle slowly rotated, did it a few times looking for breaks or fall backs or jumps and none were evident..
So it tests ok.
Next thing to try is swapping back the old one and running the same test noting results .
And then riding the bike to see how it performs.
I've ordered a $60 TPS that is said to be OEM Quality Guaranteed...
Hopefully it'll arrive before the Australia Day Poker Run organised by the Vietnam Veterans and Veterans MC,
On January 26th, a great old school Poker Run then back to their clubhouse and property for bands , burnouts, etc.
Just like the good old days!
Prefer to take the Kingpin but if it's not running and I take a lady then the XC is the logical choice.
If I'm riding solo then the XS650 could be the bike I ride.
First choice is the yellow Kingpin but 💛.

Reactions: MagVic CCT

· Registered
3,658 Posts
@Motorbikerx this is for diff year bike, but should cover the calibration. Start at the 30min mark

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Reactions: md2420

· Registered
418 Posts
I'm in Australia, where'd you get that info from...I don't like the sound of that
2007 service manual goes thru procedure using Digital Wrench. Saw md2420 info from Vic Shop hope it helps.

· Registered
3,658 Posts
Thanks so much! @md2420
You are welcome. There could be a diff with your bike vs the V92s, but this is the only one I could find right off. I do recall another one where Rylan walked through measuring the clocking of the TPS on the throttle body, but couldn’t find that vid again. I do recall him saying that you need to mark exactly where it aligned when you took it off vs putting it back on as they are sensitive to the nth degree.

I’ll keep looking and see if I run across that vid.

· Registered
3,658 Posts
@Motorbikerx check this one out at the 10min mark. Talks about the engine oil temp sensor and if corroded, broken, etc could also cause rough running.

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Just woke up, I emailed Kev at Arrow Motorcycles, last night, he's out local Victory tech, told him story so far and included the first link, soon as my head's clear I'll call him and see what he reckons👍
Thanks everyone 🙏
🇦🇺🌄🦘

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Ok, I've just refitted the original TPS and tested it with multimeter onto the piece of MIGwire that's shoved up the Signal wire on the connector.
It's tests as good , no big jumps or dropbacks in volt numbers, nice smooth progression from
.55v closed to 4.27 wide open.
Tested twice, then did the key on count to five while opening throttle thing, won't go into that in detail...Retested and readings on multimeter are exactly the same.
I'm gonna refit the tank and see how she runs.
Found that oil temp sender location that's on Rylans last vid but I won't mess with it till I've tried running it how it is now.
The old "don't change more than one thing at a time" trick...

Now Kev (Arrow) probably the best Vic tech in Australia hasn't got the old shops digital wrench, he suggested I call the Polaris Indian shop at Southport here and get them to plug it in and do a reset...I'll try that on Monday.
Right now it's Sat lunchtime and I'm gonna do as much as possible before sending it to someone else(and there's the matter of getting it there if it's still unrideable as it was last time I rode it..
Updating on here may help someone else, it's also definitely helping me, with the input I'm getting from members on here.
Also it helps me get stuff out of my head and written down so I have a clear head and some record of what I'm doing.
For those that like pix here's one of my MIGwire piggyback onto the Signal wire, it can stay put till this fiasco is resolved🙂
Automotive tire Automotive design Tints and shades Human leg Auto part

· Registered
648 Posts
Ok, I've just refitted the original TPS and tested it with multimeter onto the piece of MIGwire that's shoved up the Signal wire on the connector.
It's tests as good , no big jumps or dropbacks in volt numbers, nice smooth progression from
.55v closed to 4.27 wide open.
Tested twice, then did the key on count to five while opening throttle thing, won't go into that in detail...Retested and readings on multimeter are exactly the same.
I'm gonna refit the tank and see how she runs.
Found that oil temp sender location that's on Rylans last vid but I won't mess with it till I've tried running it how it is now.
The old "don't change more than one thing at a time" trick...

Now Kev (Arrow) probably the best Vic tech in Australia hasn't got the old shops digital wrench, he suggested I call the Polaris Indian shop at Southport here and get them to plug it in and do a reset...I'll try that on Monday.
Right now it's Sat lunchtime and I'm gonna do as much as possible before sending it to someone else(and there's the matter of getting it there if it's still unrideable as it was last time I rode it..
Updating on here may help someone else, it's also definitely helping me, with the input I'm getting from members on here.
Also it helps me get stuff out of my head and written down so I have a clear head and some record of what I'm doing.
For those that like pix here's one of my MIGwire piggyback onto the Signal wire, it can stay put till this fiasco is resolved🙂 View attachment 639330
So both TPS are good, but the variable resistors are slightly different in value. It's starting to sound like an electronic recalibration is necessary, with the Digital Wrench.
I spoke to a Polaris ATV dealer in Gympie, he said their Dig Wrench set up doesn't give them access to Victory data.
The ratio of the closed throttle values between the 2 TPS is different to the ratios of the WFO values, so it can't be compensated for with an extra resistor inline.

· Registered
6,852 Posts
Sounds like a former Victory dealer with an active Digital Wrench is going to be needed here. The bigger issue may be finding a technician with the knowledge and experience to get the TPS back to its factory setting. The original and the replacement TPS seems to function correctly. Therefore the cause of the original running issue may not have been identified yet.

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Well I cleaned the oil temp sensor and a short ride revealed that it didn't get any better.
I rang Indian/KTM dealer at Southport and ask to speak to Mark, but he's not well and has finished up, retired early.
The Service dept was shut so they suggested I call Monday..
I'll be in the poo if I can't get this Yella bike performing properly again....
Cross that bridge when I get to it.
Oh yeah got another TPS on its way this time a $70 unit but from what I'm hearing the TPS units are okay..
Makes me wonder just what the original problem was, for it still persists..
My mate here sitting next to me reckons the Power Commander could be the problem???

· Registered
6,852 Posts
But the rubber throttle body piece was bad and it had that hole drilled into it. It is possible the Power Commander map somehow got corrupted. I have no idea if HC has or had a copy of that map or if you do.
Getting the TPS set correctly with Digital Wrench seems to be either step one or very close to it.

· Registered
418 Posts
Since throttle body boot was rotted and replaced but without the connecting port maybe that is problem. Read @Half_Crazy throttle body debacle and thought he stated it was a job to get it retuned. Surely there is a way to disconnect Power Commander without removing to test.

Reactions: Motorbikerx

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Yeah well without the Holy Throttle Body Boot the tune on the PC111 is useless anyway isn't it?
It's possibly very close and may make the job easier for Fred from ProCycle when he tunes it.
Probably the first thing to do is ascertain if Indian at Southport can tune the TPS with their Digital Wrench....Kev at Arrow seems to think they can.
Wouldn't Digital Wrench point out any other faults in the system too?
Ive been thinking of removing the throttle body boot to recheck my work in fitting it.
The O-rings had to be physically held in their grooves with RTV Silicon, it's possible something's amiss in the mating surfaces I guess.
If there's nothing wrong with the TPS, and with the damaged boot, one would think that replacing the boot should fix the problem.
Logically .
Kev thought maybe the Holy Boot was masking the fact the boot was torn where it mates to the rear cylinders intake ports.
Sounds feasible.

• Informative
Reactions: Chattanooga_Mark
101 - 120 of 137 Posts