VOG Forum banner
81 - 100 of 137 Posts

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Rang my old school Carby man today to see if he had a lead on GM parts, worth a try, he didn't,
He's old school, Holley's Rochester's Webers SUs .
BUT he did suggest I look at the spark plugs.
Back to Basics!
Remembered I sprayed lots of throttle body cleaner down on top of the valves and gave the intake ports a good clean with a toothbrush...
All that crap would've entered the cylinders on the first intake stroke and wound up ejected out the exhaust...But some residue would've wound up on the spark plugs!.....yeah!
Pulled em today sprayed em with carb cleaner and gave em a good going over with a clean rag soaked in it
Ohms tested them then stuck em back in...Running a LOT BETTER now...
Gonna go for another ride tonight for full confirmation..
I reckon a good Dyno tune is in order though as it's getting too much fuel on decel and sounds like a gun club when I back off.

· Registered
7,056 Posts
Maybe this will help.

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Still running like crap occasionally and sounding like artillery on decel, it'll idle fine for a while then suddenly start dying and jumping up revs , dropping and jumping and stall if I don't goose the throttle....then it'll be fine again🤔

• Informative
Reactions: Bikesofbrads

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
OK followed @BBob link and got some part no's
NAPA 2-19187
ECHLIN CRB 219187
Put them in an ebay search and it came up as CHEV LS1/2/3/6/7 part....sound right?
If so plenty of GMHoldens here ran LS engines

· Registered
7,056 Posts
OK followed @BBob link and got some part no's
NAPA 2-19187
ECHLIN CRB 219187
Put them in an ebay search and it came up as CHEV LS1/2/3/6/7 part....sound right?
If so plenty of GMHoldens here ran LS engines
Is that for a TPS? It would be very cool if it was a readily available part through other sources.

Another thing I was thinking was your injectors. I know it's a huge pain to remove and clean them but sometimes they do get clogged up. Just a thought. Have you run any injector cleaner through a tank of gas lately? Sometimes we get lucky if that's the issue.

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Yeah Bob I've run a good fuel system cleaner though it.
Plenty of LS engines DownUnder, they're a very popular transplant into other vehicles too.
Rode it some distance late last night at a speed that would burn fuel off quicker, to lighten the load when I remove the fuel tank for easier access.
Gonna see if I can get an assistant to help test the existing one with an Ohm-meter laster today, so I can delve deeper into the problem, and maybe her too.
Is that for a TPS? It would be very cool if it was a readily available part through other sources.

Another thing I was thinking was your injectors. I know it's a huge pain to remove and clean them but sometimes they do get clogged up. Just a thought. Have you run any injector cleaner through a tank of gas lately? Sometimes we get lucky if that's the issue.
Already replied to this but looks like it never came through.
Yes I've run injector/fuel system cleaner though it.
My guess is the TPS is faulty and the boot was also cracked, I've replaced the boot but the TPS is still faulty.
Hopefully the GM LS1 unit will fix it.

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Can you copy the tune file from the Power Commander and store the copy? Just in case you do get a dyno tune, but afterwards go back and cross connect the intake runners.
Yeah Steve that is a good idea, I have the Power Commander site still installed on my old laptop,
It was for my PCV thing it'll work for a PCIII ?

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Posted elsewhere about Tryna locate MAP sensor on '06 Kingpin with Torque Tubes....

• Informative

· Registered
4,503 Posts
Yeah mate probably blew $30 on a little used site,
$hit, I spend way more than that on a very used slut but she’s had my 3 kids plus I’ve been married to her for almost 23 years so I’d loose 1/2 my stuff if I’d give up & quit meow

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Okaaaay!...TPS arrived today!
to fit LS1 Chev V8 in Holden Commodore...and it's exactly the same as the one I just removed.
Fiddly bloody job with the throttle body still in place, but doable!
Had to cut down an Allen wrench and tape it into the jaws of pointy nose pliers,
TPS is now in place and tightened up, I put a very light smear of
di-electric grease on the o-ring on the TPS just for good measure .
Now to refit the fuel tank, air filters and do a TPS reset.
It's raining outside now so the test ride may have to wait.

Blue Natural material Electric blue Metal Feather
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Rim Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Steering wheel

· Registered
6,852 Posts
Great news all around! Taping a ‘modified’ Allen wrench to needle nose pliers is what I call some good ‘red neck engineering’. Hopefully the TPS reset will complete the job and return your yellow beast to its smooth running natural state.

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Great news all around! Taping a ‘modified’ Allen wrench to needle nose pliers is what I call some good ‘*** engineering’. Hopefully the TPS reset will complete the job and return your yellow beast to its smooth running natural state.
NO...Sadly it's running like absolute crap.
Midnight here and drizzling rain but had to take it for a test ride.
Gutless as all f#&k, stuttering badly, banging out the exhaust, shaking rattling popping and farting, bordering on unrideable, took it for a couple of miles down the road but it didn't clear.
Could be the $15 Chinese TPS.
Tried running it through the TPS reset procedure a few times to no avail...
What started out as a faltering idle led to a replacement of the rotten throttle body boot.
Now you'd think it'd run a lot better after that but things are getting worse.....

81 - 100 of 137 Posts