VOG Forum banner

PROBLEM 2006 KINGPIN (Yellow)

3740 Views 136 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  MagVic CCT
Yesterday after a short 5 mile ride I stopped at my destination, got off, was talking to someone as bike idled and it just died.
I restarted it ok but it didn't like to idle.

Brought revs up to 1200 on tach and it faltered almost died then kept jumping up to 1300 1400 and dropping to 800 tach needle bouncing around low.
Gave it a rev , dropped it into first and it stalled.
Ok fired it up again a rode to get fuel, tried to buy injector cleaner there but only had expensive stuff for diesels,
So I just filled with the usual highest octane Premium no corn.
Bike ran ok on way home, its ok once running and over 2K all the way to 6K no problem.

Got home and undid battery terminals and thoroughly cleaned terminals and connections with 120 grit sandpaper.
Put battery on my tender charge but it read FULL after 5 minutes ,so I reconnected everything.
Added a good dash of methylated spirit (alcohol 96%) to soak up any water that may be in the fuel tank, ya never know.......
Started it up and idle was still inconsistent....would be ok for a while but then falter and fluctuate....
Left it overnight,

Today, got up and made phone calls for spark plugs, they're not same as a 106 they're NGK CPR6EB-9, physically smaller than the
DCPR6E that go in the 106 in the 2010 XC.
Had tough time finding a pair on Xmas Eve day.
Repco, Bursons, Autobarn, in my town and the next had none rang Super cheap Auto they had none but suggested the MX Superstore.
I rang there and Rose looked in their system...none..
BUT their sister online ATV World showed 5 in stock.
Catch was they only operate online but Rose sent me a link I bought 2 online $18
and at cart checkout ticked Pick up in-store, and yeah ride over there.
Well after I pulled the existing plugs and gave them a clean and tapped the gap a bit tighter to .028"

Ok rode to pick up the plugs, bike still behaving wierd at idle...pull like a freight train on speed all the way to 6K
but idle inconsistent....OK then not ok....
Bought the correct plugs, rode to Super cheap Auto and got a bottle of Fuel Doctor and dosed the full tank with 100mls.
Then rode home in the rain.

Pulled up at my front door and left it idling while I went into open the garage door
Was idling ok 900rpm.
Door open I sat back on bike , turned it off then restarted and held revs on 1000 rpm it was ok....but then it faltered picked up faltered picked up and when I clunked into 1st gear it died.....restarted and rode inside.
Just letting it cool before I gap the new plugs and fit them..
What might it be???
Got a feeling new plugs won't fix it but it's a good place to start.
Plugs have done....
let's have a look at the log book......10,000miles...
Should be ok still.
But I'll fit em anyway.....
Got a feeling it's electrical....
Thought this post went up yesterday but it didn't...

So gonna add I've read of similar problems //symptoms on here and the answer seems to be the TPS Throttle Position Sensor which according to Polaris is only sold as part of the complete throttle body(ripoff carnts they are!)
Anyway found a used one here in Oz on ebay for $35 and bought it, should be here next week....
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Yesterday after a short 5 mile ride I stopped at my destination, got off, was talking to someone as bike idled and it just died.
I restarted it ok but it didn't like to idle.

Brought revs up to 1200 on tach and it faltered almost died then kept jumping up to 1300 1400 and dropping to 800 tach needle bouncing around low.
Gave it a rev , dropped it into first and it stalled.
Ok fired it up again a rode to get fuel, tried to buy injector cleaner there but only had expensive stuff for diesels,
So I just filled with the usual highest octane Premium no corn.
Bike ran ok on way home, its ok once running and over 2K all the way to 6K no problem.

Got home and undid battery terminals and thoroughly cleaned terminals and connections with 120 grit sandpaper.
Put battery on my tender charge but it read FULL after 5 minutes ,so I reconnected everything.
Added a good dash of methylated spirit (alcohol 96%) to soak up any water that may be in the fuel tank, ya never know.......
Started it up and idle was still inconsistent....would be ok for a while but then falter and fluctuate....
Left it overnight,

Today, got up and made phone calls for spark plugs, they're not same as a 106 they're NGK CPR6EB-9, physically smaller than the
DCPR6E that go in the 106 in the 2010 XC.
Had tough time finding a pair on Xmas Eve day.
Repco, Bursons, Autobarn, in my town and the next had none rang Super cheap Auto they had none but suggested the MX Superstore.
I rang there and Rose looked in their system...none..
BUT their sister online ATV World showed 5 in stock.
Catch was they only operate online but Rose sent me a link I bought 2 online $18
and at cart checkout ticked Pick up in-store, and yeah ride over there.
Well after I pulled the existing plugs and gave them a clean and tapped the gap a bit tighter to .028"

Ok rode to pick up the plugs, bike still behaving wierd at idle...pull like a freight train on speed all the way to 6K
but idle inconsistent....OK then not ok....
Bought the correct plugs, rode to Super cheap Auto and got a bottle of Fuel Doctor and dosed the full tank with 100mls.
Then rode home in the rain.

Pulled up at my front door and left it idling while I went into open the garage door
Was idling ok 900rpm.
Door open I sat back on bike , turned it off then restarted and held revs on 1000 rpm it was ok....but then it faltered picked up faltered picked up and when I clunked into 1st gear it died.....restarted and rode inside.
Just letting it cool before I gap the new plugs and fit them..
What might it be???
Got a feeling new plugs won't fix it but it's a good place to start.
Plugs have done....
let's have a look at the log book......10,000miles...
Should be ok still.
But I'll fit em anyway.....
Got a feeling it's electrical....
Thought this post went up yesterday but it didn't...

So gonna add I've read of similar problems //symptoms on here and the answer seems to be the TPS Throttle Position Sensor which according to Polaris is only sold as part of the complete throttle body(ripoff carnts they are!)
Anyway found a used one here in Oz on ebay for $35 and bought it, should be here next week....
See if there's a number on the TPS and do a search for it. The one on my bike is from a GM car. Was able to readily find and purchase a new one.
You can also try resetting the TPS by turning on the key switch and rotate the throttle to full open and back to closed within 10 seconds, then turn off the key switch. Especially if the battery has been disconnected for a length of time.

· Registered
7,056 Posts
Probably a dumb question but have you checked the throttle body lately? They need to be cleaned every 5-8k miles and the throttle body boots inspected for cracks. You can delay cleaning the TB's for a little while by adjust the throttle with the Phillips screw under the left side of the gas tank.

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, yes I've tried the TPS reset several times as well as the IAC reset.
This engine has Torque Tubes and the crankcase vents into atmosphere via a small filter,
So there's no oily gunk recirculating into an airbox as would occur on a stock intake.
So I would daresay this would obviate the need for regular throttle body cleaning.

The GM AC Delco part no is quotes in an old thread that I dug up and commented on a couple of days ago.
A search on the net of part no. and description from here only brought up AC DELCO batteries as well as other stuff not related .
But the used low miles one at the Dunno wreckers came up when I did another search on eBay.
I've purchased it , and am gonna wait a few days till it arrives before removing the fuel tank and digging any deeper.
It only affects idle quality and I'm rarely idling on that bike.
It runs perfectly well past 1500 so I'm not in a hurry to disable my best bike till the part arrives.
Once the Xmas shutdown here passes and people get back to work I can try to get a brand new TPS through my normal local channels.
I daresay the 2012 low kms part from Dubbo Wreckers(Breakers)
Will do the job.
I rode the XC yesterday as my Xmas reindeer 🦌🎄🎅🏜

· Registered
10 Posts
This engine has Torque Tubes and the crankcase vents into atmosphere via a small filter,
So there's no oily gunk recirculating into an airbox as would occur on a stock intake.
So I would daresay this would obviate the need for regular throttle body cleaning.

The GM AC Delco part no is quotes in an old thread that I dug up and commented on a couple of days ago.
A search on the net of part no. and description from here only brought up AC DELCO batteries as well as other stuff not related .
But the used low miles one at the Dunno wreckers came up when I did another search on eBay.
I've purchased it , and am gonna wait a few days till it arrives before removing the fuel tank and digging any deeper.
It runs perfectly well past 1500 so I'm not in a hurry to disable my best bike till the part arrives.
Once the Xmas shutdown here passes and people get back to work I can try to get a brand new TPS through my normal local channels.
Will do the job.
The old SC used to idle poorly and would sometimes stall on a quick stop. The last time the throttle body was off I removed the air mixture plugs and screws and installed a set of air mixture screws off a quadrajet carb. Completely solved the idle issues.

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like it involves a slight inlet vacuum leak to me. Not enough to affect it at high airflow rates, but does it when the throttle butterflies are closed and manifold vacuum is high.
It's intermittent though, inconsistent, I'm betting the TPS.
should know this week.

· Registered
2,294 Posts

Will do the job.
The '06 doesn't have an IAC.
Have you checked the fuel pressure?
Have you checked the injectors to make sure the "O" rings are okay and the injector is seated?

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The '06 doesn't have an IAC.
Have you checked the fuel pressure?
Have you checked the injectors to make sure the "O" rings are okay and the injector is seated?
No....cos it's the TPS..

Ahhh so that IAC thing explains the lack of clicking when I cycle the fuel pump switch doing a TPS reset,,..did notice that!
My bikes does have a TPS and thats the problem.(at idle)
It'll be fixed when the part arrives and I fit it .

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good luck with finding it. Dubbo seems to have a few Vic parts in stock.
Yes they do and I've bought stuff off them before.
Keep having the change spellchecks "Dunno" back to Dubbo though (sheet just did it again!!!)
Dubbo Dubbo Dubbo (ahh it's working proper now🙂
Parts ordered and on its way, well it should be unless they're having an extra public holiday ....which they probably are...
Bikes still riding fine it's not idling much anyway.

· Registered
6,852 Posts
@Motorbikerx, you’ve allowed us all to get quite an education by posting about the few issues you’ve had with your KP. Thank you for sharing your experiences! I know we all look forward to the replacement TPS curing this idle stumble. If not, the other suggestions will give you a head start.

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@Motorbikerx, you’ve allowed us all to get quite an education by posting about the few issues you’ve had with your KP. Thank you for sharing your experiences! I know we all look forward to the replacement TPS curing this idle stumble. If not, the other suggestions will give you a head start.
It was a couple of old threads I stumbled on while doing a search that described my problem,
But not till I'd exhausted the usual basic stuff.
Battery connections, spark plugs, dirty fuel/injectors, TPS reset,
Then I started searching deeper.
Posting and talking about it helps my head get stuff lined up too as well as getting suggestions and possibilities from others.
A few years down the track someone may dig this thread up and hopefully find their answer.
It's how things work around here.

· Registered
648 Posts
Yes they do and I've bought stuff off them before.
Keep having the change spellchecks "Dunno" back to Dubbo though (sheet just did it again!!!)
Dubbo Dubbo Dubbo (ahh it's working proper now🙂
Parts ordered and on its way, well it should be unless they're having an extra public holiday ....which they probably are...
Bikes still riding fine it's not idling much anyway.
And for our international friends, Dubbo is big regional town in central west New South Wales, not an Oz joke.

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I read through all your old posts both here and the other place while trying to get the Progressive shock adjusted right. Got there in the end.
Well that must've been entertaining.
Glad you've got it sorted:)

• Agree
Reactions: Obi Steve

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

· Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'll tell you when the replacement arrived and I fit it
Also waiting on a Regulator Rectifier for the Yamaha TX650.
it's daytime only.
Kingpin just has dodgy idle.
XC is fine , day or night.
Life is Good...

1 - 20 of 137 Posts