VOG Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle
Good evenin' y'all. Been a long while since I've been on here. Life happens. Glad to be back, tho. Now to my dilemma. I have a nearly mint '04 KP. I'm a metal guy at work, USCG aviator, gettin' close to retirement, & recently done a mod on my bike that I've wanted to do for over 2yrs now. I cut my long shot exhaust & modded them into shorties. Shortened the baffles as well. Just took a hose clamp to mark my cut, cut with a wiz wheel down to clamp, filed, n' burnished the circumference edge. Turned out nicely. Some how, tho, returnin' home from work a few days ago, I noticed the bottom pipe's baffle was missin'. I'm surprised cuz I'm anal on any work I do, recheckin' torques n' all. Well, the retain' bolt must've loosened n' out slipped the baffle on the highway. Haven't had any poppin' or loss of performance, in fact, she runs like a new bike now, since the back pressure has less travel now to return n' be used. But, I prefer to have that missin' baffle replaced. Here's the scoop. I'm the 2nd owner. Bought off a retired Coast Guardsmen. I've tried doin' research on what manufacturer of exhaust I have, but to no avail. No stampage, nada. Closest thing I could compare is D&D, which I believe a member on here awhile back by the nic of Half_Crazy, told me they are no longer made. The OD of baffles measure 2-5/16in, same as ID of pipe. I've tried all online, HD, etc, but cannot find a baffle with that measurement. Even google images shows nothin'. I may have to try to fabricate one myself. The end is that measurement that bolts to exhaust, while the slotted rest of baffle pipe tapers down in diameter. Would possibly a 2-1/4in baffle, just a 16th smaller, suffice? In the past on my other bikes, I've made my own lollipops n' such, but here in TX I believe, for safety inspect purposes, there needs to be baffles in place. Thanks for any input y'all n' God Bless

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Gear shift Alloy wheel Headlamp
Well, after some more research, I've decided to contact D&D, whom are outa Dallas/Fort Worth area. Very professional, but unfortunately my style of exhaust is no longer made. Only advice they gave me was to contact Victory dealers throughout TX n' some other states n' see if they have any leftover of that same exhaust or even baffles in stock. The gentleman implied they may even give a killer deal, you know, since Polaris yanked the Vic line. So, called a few 'formerly Vic' dealers & to no avail. Resorted to makin' my own lollipops once again:

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
Those lollipops look to be a bit larger than the ones we used to make back in the day. I too would be interested in seeing how they perform. Course, back in the day we'd make 'em so you could rotate them when you wanted to make some noise/power.. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those lollipops look to be a bit larger than the ones we used to make back in the day. I too would be interested in seeing how they perform. Course, back in the day we'd make 'em so you could rotate them when you wanted to make some noise/power.. :)
Yeah, in the past I've done smaller diameters with cruisers, such as my ol' '07 Suzy Boulevard S50. Had dual Nast Twins drags. As well as a '10 Honda Fury. But since I modded these to 'short shots' style, I wanted most of the back pressure to return, so opted with 1-3/4in washers, plus they are positional, but usually always run perpendicular to exhaust anyways. Plenty throaty n' loud as it is.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
I had an 01 C50 Boulevard myself.. great little bikes.

The one thing I had read about lollipops is that having a center hole helps increase the velocity of the exhaust gases.. there's a whole science behind exhaust systems and even the distance of the baffle or whatever has a huge effect on the scavenging of gasses. Hope you got what you were looking for.. looks good and you just can't beat homemade for cost. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had an 01 C50 Boulevard myself.. great little bikes.

The one thing I had read about lollipops is that having a center hole helps increase the velocity of the exhaust gases.. there's a whole science behind exhaust systems and even the distance of the baffle or whatever has a huge effect on the scavenging of gasses. Hope you got what you were looking for.. looks good and you just can't beat homemade for cost. :)
Very true. I figured, tho, since I used a stock drilled hole from the bottom pipe, since original baffle sat farther in, & cut just an inch away from that hole when shortenin', I drilled the other pipe same distance from edge to make 'em even to each other. Just got back from a lil cruise n' all is performin' well .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.