VOG Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello does anyone know the torque specs on the case bolts on the primary cover? Have to remove cover to do a quick repair. I'm replacing the gasket and want to do it right the first time. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
115 inch lbs
Suggest you clean out the holes with brake cleaner and Qtips, and the bolts with brake cleaner. Use threaded rod for reassembly, and a drop of blue medium locktite on each bolt.
Oh! Also add a Vic copper oil drain washer to the shift shaft where it meets the primary cover if it's not already there. A cheap trick every Vic should have.
Check out @BBob 's signature for more help.

·
Registered
32 Posts
115 inch lbs
Suggest you clean out the holes with brake cleaner and Qtips, and the bolts with brake cleaner. Use threaded rod for reassembly, and a drop of blue medium locktite on each bolt.
Oh! Also add a Vic copper oil drain washer to the shift shaft where it meets the primary cover if it's not already there. A cheap trick every Vic should have.
Check out @BBob 's signature for more help.
Are we sure that's in/lbs and not ft/lbs? Just making sure. Book says the star and roller spec is 85 ft/lbs. I'd think 115 ft/lbs sounds more correct comparatively but you know what they say about assuming.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
As I was. Those are in/lbs. I was thinking of the clutch shaft. That's my bad. Still sounds light to me for the cover.
Those were the tiny little screws holding on the primary cover. They won't take much torque before they will strip out.
I'd suggest you get a very small torque wrench for the delicate work. You can find a very inexpensive one at Harbor Freight.
A regular sized torque wrench won't be accurate at the bottom of it's range.
I have four of them for each range of torque starting off with one that you only use one finger tip on it for testing the rolling torque resistance of bearings.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Those were the tiny little screws holding on the primary cover. They won't take much torque before they will strip out.
I'd suggest you get a very small torque wrench for the delicate work. You can find a very inexpensive one at Harbor Freight.
A regular sized torque wrench won't be accurate at the bottom of it's range.
I have four of them for each range of torque starting off with one that you only use one finger tip on it for testing the rolling torque resistance of bearings.
Oh, you're not talking about the 12 (or however many) that go around the whole cover? You're talking about the little cam cover sized spot by where the clutch pinion shaft goes in?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just had to do a little diagnosing on mine to find out that the star had come loose and worked its way all cockeyed off of the guide. You wouldn't happen to have the book notating any other parts involved that need to be torqued by any chance would you? I just got my first Vic not too long ago and haven't gotten around to getting a manual yet

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
Take several pics of the shift arm before you remove the primary, and yes I seem to remember taking mine off and not removing the lever. It rotates as you remove the cover.
When you put it back on though make sure it rotates into the correct alignment.
If you intend to really get the most out of your clutch get a clutch plate from either Lloydz or from The Vic Shop. It replaces that thin round cover on the outside of the primary, and adds stability to the primary cover.
One of the guys here figured out that you could use some threaded rod in the cover bolt holes to assist in the primary cover alignment for reinstall. Helps keep your fingers from getting pinched from the strong stator magnet.
Also add one new Victory oil drain washer to the horizontal shift shaft end before the primary cover re-installation.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Primethious,
thanks for the picture as I was just looking for the torque for the primary cover. I'm going to retorque/check it all as I get the bike ready for riding season while I await my rims from powder coating.
Question, is there a sequence (I used to wrench Blackhawks in the Army--everything had a torque sequence).
Where did you get that pdf file so that I might get my hands on one.
Thank you
Paul

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
Primethious,
thanks for the picture as I was just looking for the torque for the primary cover. I'm going to retorque/check it all as I get the bike ready for riding season while I await my rims from powder coating.
Question, is there a sequence (I used to wrench Blackhawks in the Army--everything had a torque sequence).
Where did you get that pdf file so that I might get my hands on one.
Thank you
Paul
Take a peek at BBob's signature on any post.
You'll find what your looking for!
As far as sequence always go alternating criss cross if they don't provide a pattern.
I lightly snug everything before pulling out the tiny torque wrench.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.