VOG Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to buy the Gerbing heater jacket liner and the accessory plug, when it occurred to me that I better check the location of the powerlet outlets. There's one in the trunk and one in the glove box.
Problem is, is how do I route the accessory plug, which connects the jacket liner, to the power source on the bike? With the glove box and trunk closed, there doesn't appear to be a way to route the power cable/connector to the powerlet outlets in the glove box and trunk.
Solution?
Thanks! Vince.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
While I'm sure that others who live in colder weather climate than I do will chime-in on this, I have seen some Visions where the riders installed an outlet on the lower portion of the console. This makes it much easier to connect devices such as heated clothing. Here's an example:

I'm guessing you may have to trim a corner of the glove box to allow for the cable to pass through without getting crimped.

·
Registered
9 Posts

I just ordered a Powerlet for my scoot, and am planning on installing it on the console, as pictured above. I am also thinking about installing the permanent temp controller in the same area.
Terry

·
Registered
7,141 Posts

Victory has a Powerlet bar that will mount on the handle bar. I have one one my Kingpin, I also use it to connect my Battery Tender to the bike without taking the covers off.
OT

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
OneThumb said:
Victory has a Powerlet bar that will mount on the handle bar. I have one one my Kingpin, I also use it to connect my Battery Tender to the bike without taking the covers off.
OT
Hey OT...

Pictures Please!

·
Registered
156 Posts

Victory sells a kit to install a power outlet it comes with a template and instructions to install...All you need is 11/16" hole saw (Ace Hardware), 6 mm allen wrench and 4 mm allen wrench. Takes all about 30 minutes install. Easy to install!!!

Cost $49.99 at dealer!

OH and the KILLER part of it the bike is PRE-WIRED for installing on the console!!!

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
joeschmoe said:
Victory sells a kit to install a power outlet it comes with a template and instructions to install...All you need is 11/16" hole saw (Ace Hardware), 6 mm allen wrench and 4 mm allen wrench. Takes all about 30 minutes install. Easy to install!!!

Cost $49.99 at dealer!

OH and the KILLER part of it the bike is PRE-WIRED for installing on the console!!!
Joe, can you tell me where on the console you mounted? Pictures?? Thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
All,
The mount for the Powerlet is just as shown for the Ann. Vision shown above. There are two "potential" spots, each just off center. One "could" be for the Powerlet, and the other "could" be for the CB / COM port, which looks just like the Powerlet. Nice matching pair and yes, the wiring is already there under the panel. All you do is drill, place the powerlet, plug it in and replace the panels. Same of the powerlet for the trunk. The trunk powerlet should go on the right side of the arm rest as the com port / ptt switch go on the left side. Nicest part is they are switched, so when the key is off, they don't draw juice:)) I have been wondering where to put a panel mounted troller, so if anyone has already done this, I (we) would be very interested in pics!!!
Cheers,
Russell

·
Registered
14 Posts

Trunk mounted additional powerlet (on right side, under speaker) is NOT keyed - it is prewired and tapped off of the powerlet plug that is inside the trunk (under keylock)which is battery fed.
This one can be used for battery tender connection.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Two thoughts for anyone considering the extra outlet.

I understand that the 2010 models have gone to a standard size outlet to eliminate the need for an adapter.

Another option that I used was to replace the glove box outlet with a standard size outlet from a local auto parts store (less than $10). This eliminates using so much room in the glove box for the adapter. I then used the OEM outlet in the console for a heated jacket. Saved about $80 over what the dealer wanted for part and install when I purchased the bike.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just purchased some heated gear for my wife and I..I was wanting to find out if anyone knew the difference between http://www.rollinfast.com/productdetail.htm?productId=7426849&browse=206880&shopBy=8529&catalogId=1464 and http://www.powerletproducts.com/product/standard-powerlet-socket/280. They look the same. The Victory one is 44.95 and the powerlet is 17.95. I assume this is the part used for the console and trunk?

·
Registered
37 Posts
so the more I thought about this..I like lennyb's idea..just use what I already have and save money..I just went out to the garage and took the trunk apart to see where the trunk wiring is. I notice it is on the right side sitting on the bike. The wire will not reach the left side( which I believe is where the CB stuff goes). Gerbing's gear has the power module on the left side as sitting on the bike. Anyone had passenger complaints about the wiring having to cross them?

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Victory one contains TWO powerlet outlets, plus a template and installation directions.
The front one installs below the radio power button on the console - intercom on left side, powerlet on right side. The rear one installs below the right rear speaker; intercom connector, push to talk CB switch, and volume adjuster are just below the left rear speaker. Factory pre-wired for both powerlets - at these locations. Front one runs off ignition feed; rear one has battery feed. Can trickle charge the battery via the rear one.

Gerbing gear has connector pod on left and inside (below your rib cage). Gerbing dual-controller cords are long enough to easily hook the controller to your outside right jacket pocket. We use Gerbing jacket liner under our Victory leather jackets and Gerbing Union Ridge outer pants - with Gerbing heated gantlet gloves and Gerbing heated boot insoles. Wiring stays underneath everything, until it emerges where clipped onto jacket pocket. You need suspenders to keep the pants from riding down as you walk around in them. Gerbing has some great deals at their outlet store - heatedclothingoutlet.com.

Last year, my wife would not get back on the bike after mid-November - until mid-March. Her lowest temperature tolerance with Gortex layered (non-heated) gear, with her seat heater on high, was 65deg on a dry, cloudy, windy day. The past two weekends, we've ridden home from rallies first in 58deg rain and then in 52deg cloud cover. With the Gerbing gear, she is once again happy. I highly recommend it!

Am hoping that she will keep riding with me throughout most of this winter. Her only complaint was that she gets cold while we've stopped for gas - the gear cools down fairly quickly without the heat feed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the great info..we bought the union ridge pants over at Maxim. Then I decided to order from the outlet. But I just ordered the pant liner for myself..but my wife says she wants to keep her union ridge pants..anyway the outlet saved me a little over 200 bucks..which is great..now I just need to get the outlets installed before our trip to Broken Bow this weekend..may be a little chilly..

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Update: On 10/31, took the bike in for service and had a powerlet installed on the panel where the ratio controls are located, in the same spot as shown in Andy's example at the beginning of this thread.
Works great! I've got the Gerbing's heated liner and gloves, along with their thermostat. I'm going to be toasty warm this winter!
Now, Gerbing's cautions to be mindful of the power requirements and not to exceed your bike's capacity. Indeed, as I was testing, I found the needle in thealternator guage dip lower and lower as Iconnected everything andswitched on all systems. That's the heated grips on max, the heated seats on max, the HID lamp on, iPhone, radio,GPS,along with my fog lights, plus the suit/gloves. The tech warns not go lower than 12.6 volts or thereabouts. I'm was pretty much maxed out. At idle, the alternator couldn't keep up the minimum amperage, but while under power, I should be ok. Just have to be cautious about what I've got running. And to make sure the suit is disconnected before I shut down the engine.
Vince.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got mine installed yesterday..they had a set down at Stroker's for 39. Funny how victory keeps increasing their prices because I have seen them for more everywhere else. They must have had these on the shelf for a while..anyway pretty easy install..victory did do a good job of thinking ahead.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.