VOG Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I got caught up in an unexpected storm on Friday that included monsoonal rain and nickel size hail. The worse part was flash flooding. Rain, hail and lightning with no cover forced me to ride through a 4 block stretch of rushing flood water. I looked down a couple times and water appeared to be up to the front wheel axle. The water had to be part way up the primary case and the exhaust sounded like a motor boat. The bike DID NOT die on me though and I made it home! After I got home I allowed it to run for 15 minutes in hopes of drying it out some. My question is would the water have gotten past the seals in the wheel bearings? What about the engines crankcase? Any other areas if concern? My bikes an ‘04 Kingpin. I just changed oil in April and hope I don't have to dump $75 worth of fluids. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Check your oil. If it is milky, water got in. If it’s not, it didn’t.

·
Super Moderator
26,093 Posts
Unless the water got in the intake I'm sure you are fine with what you described. I have ridden through water like that a few times over the years and never had an issue, never did anything special, and all was fine.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Doubt if any water got into the engine oil, but be sure to check it anyway. If water got up to the axle level, I would pull a wheel and check to see if any moisture is within the axle/bearing area. If it's dry, then most likely the other wheel is ok. Kudos for not dumping the bike going through high flowing water. Next time find a high place and wait it out...even if you're out in the open.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.