VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to purchase a jump starter for added security on my multiple days long adventures to some pretty remote areas. There are many to choose from and I had decided on a Micro-Start XP-3. When reading the "fine print" before purchasing I see a statement that the XP-3 is not suitable for "large V-Twin" motorcycles. I will not ignore this claim from the actual supplier of the unit. That would be dumb on my part but I'm curious as to this particular unit carries this warning. It states the ability to start engines up to 5.7 liters but not a large v-twin. The smaller "Sport" model does not make this claim.
Any info or guidance on this portable starter issue is appreciated.

RIDE SAFE

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I had 1 of the 1st generation when they 1st came to be...it started an 08 JP (lower compression) 5-8 times on a day trip.

They're handy to have but staying up on battery maintenance is cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
I bought one from Costco a few years ago. It boosts, charges anything via a USB port and has a built in flashlight. Keeps a charge for months.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Ac adapter Gadget Font Adapter Circuit component
Halo best $100 ever spent on power pack, 2 USB ports, 1 wall style outlet, bright led light, comes with both a wall cord to recharge plus another to recharge through cigarette style plug, has usb cords included comes in a nice box but also with travel bag with instructions for use printed right on it. I left it in the car all last winter & jump started the F150 at work 12 times before needing to recharge the halo ( the halo was still at half charge after those 12 jump starts )

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I picked up a Goo Loo (goofy ass name but works) off Amazon a few years ago and not only used it on my son's FZ8 but also a couple times on our cars. Since you're talking about longer rides I also picked up a Slime portable air pump. I tried it once when changing my rear tire (in garage) and while slow it worked.

I went Lithium on the Kingpin battery so I keep the Goo Loo in the car.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys for the good info.
Still, I'm really curious as to why the Micro Start XP-3 unit is suitable for a 5.7 liter engine but not a "large V-Twin" motorcycle engine.
Can one of you "gear heads" explain what makes a "large V-Twin" more difficult to start than a 5.7 liter engine?

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Possible Marketing department nonsense written by people that:
1. English is a distant second language
2. They simply don’t have a clue
3. The unit just may not work well or reliably
4. Fill in the blank

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Furthermore, define what "large" exactly means. It's pretty vague. Is 1.7L considered large? 2.3L? 750cc?

FWIW I have had XP-10, XP-3 and XP-1 and have not had any issues with any of them starting any vehicle I've attempted. The only issue is that the XPS-10 swelled up and broke out of the casing. No clue why, as it was always in the saddlebag. My guess is it was bumped over and over and kept getting turned on.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Thank you guys for the good info.
Still, I'm really curious as to why the Micro Start XP-3 unit is suitable for a 5.7 liter engine but not a "large V-Twin" motorcycle engine.
Can one of you "gear heads" explain what makes a "large V-Twin" more difficult to start than a 5.7 liter engine?
That is kind of weird.

Might it have something to do with the initial current required to move two large jugs (as opposed to a bunch of smaller ones), maybe something to do with the compression involved? Or maybe those smaller clamps don't work with the terminal positioning, free space, with a lot of H-Ds?

I bought that exact same model, the XP-3, two months ago. I don't have a Vic anymore -- this was for my 638cc parallel twin scooter. I haven't had to use it yet, but it seems fine to me, holds a charge, etc.

BTW, I bought it directly from Anti-Gravity (XP-3 Micro-Start Jump-Starter). As I've mentioned in other threads, I don't trust Amazon when it comes to critical gear, e.g., this product, and I bought a big TV at Best Buy last year, etc. I think Amazon reships products that were returned because of failures, and other underhanded practices like that. And note that for the couple of Amazon links I just checked, the seller is NOT Anti-Gravity itself, but some middle-man outfits; again, a possible source of BS, and is the return shipping covered, and are you getting rejects, and so forth.

Oh, I had a $30 discount coupon back then. I forget the details, but I think I got it because I was on their mailing list. Maybe they'll have some holiday coupons soon.

I gave the bigger XP-1 to my riding buddy maybe half a dozen years ago, for his BMW RT. He's used it to help other folks (e.g., in cars), and it's still going strong, no problems. (For my scoot, I actually wanted a smaller system -- to take up less storage space -- and with the smaller clamps that come with the XP-3, because room by the battery is mighty slim, without taking off a bunch of plastic.)

For my car, I have a Noco GB40. That's a much bigger system, but I have a lot of room in the trunk. But Noco is a pretty good outfit, from what I've read, so you might want to look into something from them, if you pass on the XP-3. Be aware that there seem to be a lot of slipshod outfits selling lithium batteries these days, from what I've read. I've had the GB40 for three or four years now, no problems (but again, haven't used it, except for some emergency phone and ipad charging).

You might want to drop Anti-Gravity a note -- [email protected] -- and ask them specifically what their (alleged) problem is with the V-twinkies.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
@Chattanooga_Mark I think most likely hit the mark.

However could it possibly be that the Big twin, although needs a good battery, uses a powersports battery and might not be able to handle the initial jumpers burst and could possibly overload smaller battery???
Or at least a chance/fear so legal stuff and all? Just a thought. I'm curious to know because I've been looking at them too.

Looking forward to their reply.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have an Imazing 1000A peak I keep in the bike. It’s about the size of a thick cell phone. Used it to start a slingshot, never had to use it on my vision. I have slightly larger versions I keep in the car and truck that I have used to start a 6.0L corvette and an old 454 truck. These little things are amazing. I used the one on the bike to charge my phone too when camping.

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
IMHO, most jump starters are very similar. A few things made me choose the Scosche 700A unit. It's an American company and the accessory battery pigtails that allow you to plug the unit directly into your vehicle instead of using the alligator clips. The second pigtail that comes in the set allows you to continue using your Battery Tender. This video is just OK but you'll get the idea.

I bought the jump starter and the accessory cable kit off Amazon. I attached the cable to my battery so if I ever need to use the unit, it's a simply plug and play without having to remove the front panel on my CCT to access the battery.

I'll very likely buy a second Scosche unit with the accessory cable kit for my wife's car.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior
Here is mine with an aux connection easily accessible without any disassembly involved.

Attachments

Reactions: Bikesofbrads

·
Registered
326 Posts
Mine is 16000 mAh and has 600A of jump start capability. Easily starts an Aussie 4 litre 6 and my Moto Guzzi. They state it is capable of up to 20 jump starts. Seems to hold its charge very well. Gave it a recharge the other day was still showing 2/5 of capacity after sitting more than 8 months. Sure is easier to access the battery on a steel frame, those Scosche units look a good choice if you don't already own one.
Rob

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
1) Disappointed in Anti-Gravity:

On 11/18, like @marlake, I followed my own suggestion -- see post #11 in this thread -- and emailed Anti-Gravity, too. And I, too, have not heard back from them yet. This is very disappointing, certainly not the optimum way to run a business, etc.

BTW, this is what I wrote:

Greetings:

On your XP-3 page -- antigravitybatteries.com/products/micro-starts/xp-3/ -- you have the following statement (twice: once in the description of the XP-3, and once in the description of the XP-3 Smart Clamps):

... (not intended for large V-Twin motors).

I wonder if you could explain to me why the XP-3 is not suitable for such motors, as opposed to its ability to jump start "V8 Trucks" and "gas engine sizes up to 5.7L V8."

Thank you for your assistance with this, and for your time.

Regards,

2) Recap:

My experiences with these devices:

A) I bought my buddy an Anti-Gravity XP-1 some years back, to keep on his RT, and it's doing fine.
B) I bought a NOCO GB40 four years ago, to keep in my car, and it's doing fine. Actually, I used it a couple of days ago to start my daughter's car (it worked fine), gave it to her to keep, and ordered another one.
C) I bought an Anti-Gravity XP-3 a month or so ago, because I wanted something small-ish, to keep on my scooter.
D) I recommended bypassing Amazon for this sort of thing, because I don't trust them or some of the outfits they host to ship brand new, unreturned, undamaged, electronic items, i.e., I went right to the Anti-Gravity site and right to the NOCO site.

3) Coupon, 11/25 - 11/29

If, despite Anti-Gravity's not responding to those of us who emailed them, if anyone wants one of their jump starters -- say, the XP-1 or the XP-3, note that I did get an email from them today ... but it was about a sale, not a response to my question.

Here's the relevant paragraph:

Use coupon BF25 for 25% OFF all MICRO-START Jump-Starters and all Energy Storage products including Portable Power Stations, Solar Panels and Deep Cycle Batteries.

And I, too, will report back if they ever respond to me.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Forgot to upload the Boost pic for the extended aux jump cable that I use.

Attachments

Reactions: Bikesofbrads
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.