Portable jump starters | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Portable jump starters

Discussion in 'Tech Q&A' started by marlake, Nov 16, 2021.

1. marlake

marlake Active Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2012 XR LE #45 "ARGUS"
    I've been wanting to purchase a jump starter for added security on my multiple days long adventures to some pretty remote areas. There are many to choose from and I had decided on a Micro-Start XP-3. When reading the "fine print" before purchasing I see a statement that the XP-3 is not suitable for "large V-Twin" motorcycles. I will not ignore this claim from the actual supplier of the unit. That would be dumb on my part but I'm curious as to this particular unit carries this warning. It states the ability to start engines up to 5.7 liters but not a large v-twin. The smaller "Sport" model does not make this claim.
    Any info or guidance on this portable starter issue is appreciated.

RIDE SAFE

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. bobzinger

bobzinger Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
  3. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    I had 1 of the 1st generation when they 1st came to be...it started an 08 JP (lower compression) 5-8 times on a day trip.

They're handy to have but staying up on battery maintenance is cheaper in the long run.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 1stVictory

1stVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Pearl White CC Tour
    I bought one from Costco a few years ago. It boosts, charges anything via a USB port and has a built in flashlight. Keeps a charge for months.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  5. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Well-Known Member

2015 victory xct & 06 katana
    image.jpg Halo best $100 ever spent on power pack, 2 USB ports, 1 wall style outlet, bright led light, comes with both a wall cord to recharge plus another to recharge through cigarette style plug, has usb cords included comes in a nice box but also with travel bag with instructions for use printed right on it. I left it in the car all last winter & jump started the F150 at work 12 times before needing to recharge the halo ( the halo was still at half charge after those 12 jump starts )

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  6. walks35

walks35 Well-Known Member

2004 Victory Kingpin
    I picked up a Goo Loo (goofy ass name but works) off Amazon a few years ago and not only used it on my son's FZ8 but also a couple times on our cars. Since you're talking about longer rides I also picked up a Slime portable air pump. I tried it once when changing my rear tire (in garage) and while slow it worked.

I went Lithium on the Kingpin battery so I keep the Goo Loo in the car.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    I recently bought a Scosche 700 with the optional artery pigtail and love it. I’ll likely buy another one.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. marlake

marlake Active Member

2012 XR LE #45 "ARGUS"
    Thank you guys for the good info.
    Still, I'm really curious as to why the Micro Start XP-3 unit is suitable for a 5.7 liter engine but not a "large V-Twin" motorcycle engine.
    Can one of you "gear heads" explain what makes a "large V-Twin" more difficult to start than a 5.7 liter engine?

9. Chattanooga_Mark

Possible Marketing department nonsense written by people that:
    1. English is a distant second language
    2. They simply don’t have a clue
    3. The unit just may not work well or reliably
    4. Fill in the blank

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. PDXLaserGazer

PDXLaserGazer Well-Known Member

'13 Cross Country - Antifreeze Green / '15 Gunner
    Furthermore, define what "large" exactly means. It's pretty vague. Is 1.7L considered large? 2.3L? 750cc?

FWIW I have had XP-10, XP-3 and XP-1 and have not had any issues with any of them starting any vehicle I've attempted. The only issue is that the XPS-10 swelled up and broke out of the casing. No clue why, as it was always in the saddlebag. My guess is it was bumped over and over and kept getting turned on.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  11. wspollack

wspollack Well-Known Member

2012 Cross Country Tour
    That is kind of weird.

Might it have something to do with the initial current required to move two large jugs (as opposed to a bunch of smaller ones), maybe something to do with the compression involved? Or maybe those smaller clamps don't work with the terminal positioning, free space, with a lot of H-Ds?

I bought that exact same model, the XP-3, two months ago. I don't have a Vic anymore -- this was for my 638cc parallel twin scooter. I haven't had to use it yet, but it seems fine to me, holds a charge, etc.

BTW, I bought it directly from Anti-Gravity (XP-3 Micro-Start Jump-Starter). As I've mentioned in other threads, I don't trust Amazon when it comes to critical gear, e.g., this product, and I bought a big TV at Best Buy last year, etc. I think Amazon reships products that were returned because of failures, and other underhanded practices like that. And note that for the couple of Amazon links I just checked, the seller is NOT Anti-Gravity itself, but some middle-man outfits; again, a possible source of BS, and is the return shipping covered, and are you getting rejects, and so forth.

Oh, I had a $30 discount coupon back then. I forget the details, but I think I got it because I was on their mailing list. Maybe they'll have some holiday coupons soon.

I gave the bigger XP-1 to my riding buddy maybe half a dozen years ago, for his BMW RT. He's used it to help other folks (e.g., in cars), and it's still going strong, no problems. (For my scoot, I actually wanted a smaller system -- to take up less storage space -- and with the smaller clamps that come with the XP-3, because room by the battery is mighty slim, without taking off a bunch of plastic.)

For my car, I have a Noco GB40. That's a much bigger system, but I have a lot of room in the trunk. But Noco is a pretty good outfit, from what I've read, so you might want to look into something from them, if you pass on the XP-3. Be aware that there seem to be a lot of slipshod outfits selling lithium batteries these days, from what I've read. I've had the GB40 for three or four years now, no problems (but again, haven't used it, except for some emergency phone and ipad charging).

You might want to drop Anti-Gravity a note -- [email protected] -- and ask them specifically what their (alleged) problem is with the V-twinkies.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. marlake

marlake Active Member

2012 XR LE #45 "ARGUS"
    I've taken wspollack's advice and emailed Antigravity Batteries with my question.
    I'll post their response when/if they get back to me.
    Thanks again for all the input.

RIDE SAFE

• Like Like x 3
  13. BrotherWind

BrotherWind Well-Known Member

Vision tour 10th anniversary. #90
    @Chattanooga_Mark I think most likely hit the mark.

However could it possibly be that the Big twin, although needs a good battery, uses a powersports battery and might not be able to handle the initial jumpers burst and could possibly overload smaller battery???
    Or at least a chance/fear so legal stuff and all? Just a thought. I'm curious to know because I've been looking at them too.

Looking forward to their reply.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Texasbaehr

Texasbaehr Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Vision Arlen Ness, Kawasaki Drifter 800
    I have an Imazing 1000A peak I keep in the bike. It’s about the size of a thick cell phone. Used it to start a slingshot, never had to use it on my vision. I have slightly larger versions I keep in the car and truck that I have used to start a 6.0L corvette and an old 454 truck. These little things are amazing. I used the one on the bike to charge my phone too when camping.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Chattanooga_Mark

IMHO, most jump starters are very similar. A few things made me choose the Scosche 700A unit. It’s an American company and the accessory battery pigtails that allow you to plug the unit directly into your vehicle instead of using the alligator clips. The second pigtail that comes in the set allows you to continue using your Battery Tender. This video is just OK but you’ll get the idea.

I bought the jump starter and the accessory cable kit off Amazon. I attached the cable to my battery so if I ever need to use the unit, it’s a simply plug and play without having to remove the front panel on my CCT to access the battery.

I’ll very likely buy a second Scosche unit with the accessory cable kit for my wife’s car.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1