Porous Head oil leaK? 2013 CC | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Porous Head oil leaK? 2013 CC

Discussion in 'Victory Cross Country' started by airdog84, Sep 4, 2016.

1. airdog84

airdog84 Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Victory Cross Country
    Fixed the leak :)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  2. Lostintexas

Lostintexas Well-Known Member

Cross Country Tour (RIP)
    Before you totally go off.
    Oil leaks usually don't start, stop and start again. Look under the tank, about the center of the rear head. There should be a vent hose in the area. See if it is leaking oil, and it is clear. If I put what Vic said to in the crank case at oil change it would puke out this hose and freak a brother out. It only took a few ounces less oil, perhaps a couple mm under the "full"mark and all was well.
    Hopefully that is all this is. Others may come along with more advice.
    Good Luck

• Useful Useful x 2
  3. flwalks

flwalks Active Member

2012 cross country tour. Previous 2002 V92TC
    If not coming from the breather it looks like the valve cover that's leaking and not head gasket. A lot easier to fix a valve cover gasket and at that point you should just install cams :)

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Lostintexas

Lostintexas Well-Known Member

Cross Country Tour (RIP)
    IIRC it is a black vent hose. I don't remember any plugs in it, on my '12. It is easiest to find this without the tank, but it comes out in the area of the center of the rear cylinder, to toward the center of the jugs. Mine came out around the ignition switch. (well behind it).
    Oil will go just about anywhere when it gets into the open. Clean it up, and check it a few times in a fairly short ride. Starting clean helps a lot. Mine would wet the area you showed and the first few fins. It was around the time all the porous heads were being spotted, so some tense times until I found it.
    Sorry, I totaled the bike a year ago and can't take a pic for you.

5. flwalks

flwalks Active Member

2012 cross country tour. Previous 2002 V92TC
    The breather is run up to the frame because the back bone is part of the intake on a Cross Country.

6. Gamewarden

Gamewarden Active Member

I think you had put too much oil in it originally. Keep cleaning it up and I bet it will disappear. Always check oil with bike straight up and when changing start by putting in less oil than recommended. It seems a lot of old oil will stay in the oil cooler.

7. recumbentbob

recumbentbob Well-Known Member

2014 Cross Country Tour
    Too much oil is easy to do.
    I drain mine and tilt the bike back and forth to get as much old oil out as possible.
    And it still only takes 4 qts to make it to the full mark. Just the way mine is, go figure.....

8. Trout

Trout Well-Known Member

2013 XCT, 1989 Guzzi Mille GT, 2001 Guzzi Jackal, 2013 Guzzi Griso
    If you are twisting the R's above 4000 you will get a bit of oil spray from the vent. No Worries.

If you are keeping the R's down & still getting the leak then clean it thoroughly & check after every ride.
    There is a dye you can buy at NAPA that is added to the oil & then using a black light it will glow so you can trace it to the source.

9. ostbob

ostbob Active Member

Victory 2012 XCT
    I had the same problem so last week I sprayed a foam engine de-greaser all around the area and sprayed it off. Tried to wipe it off with a rag but can't really get into all the nooks and crannies. 99.9% sure it was just blow by from the vent.

10. dentdave

dentdave Active Member

2012 XCT
    MIne dripped oil for two years ,I was told and read on here that I had to much oil and or driving to long on the interstate at 75-80 mph and blow by was normal. I finally cleaned everything really really good and watched for any signs of oil leaks after each ride. After a few rides it seemed to be coming out of the breather hose and leaking around the rubber hose joint so changed out the rubber hose connecting the vent tube to the frame and no more oil drips. I think I used a piece of 3/8 fuel line, I just looked at for the first time in a year and I have just a small amount of blow by leaking by , sounds like its time to replace it again to keep everything dry . I'm sure the reason its getting wet again is due to the size difference it the two fittings. My 3/8 hose trick has worked and as cheap as fuel line is a foot will last you for years only using a few inches at a time. I think I will add this to my maintenance schedule as a replace item every 3-4 oil changes. I still have some sort of blow by up under the frame but no drips on the engine case , down the heads or dripping from the cheese wedge.

Hope this helps.

11. MagVic CCT

MagVic CCT Well-Known Member

2000 Nomad : 2012 Victory CCT
    Yes to your last question. Based on past experience, valve cover gaskets are not a big thing, but on a bike with motor this size and configuration???? Might have to get a few things out of the way first.