Polaris Is Closing Victory Motorcycles | Page 5 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Polaris Is Closing Victory Motorcycles

Discussion in 'TheVOG.net News' started by Admin, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Rollin

Rollin Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. SPEEDFREAK

SPEEDFREAK Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    cross country tour 2014
    maybe by an Indian and put Victory tins on it if you don't like the looks of the Indian..

3. Pariah

Pariah New Member

2016 Vegas 8-Ball and a 2017 Octane
    Dude, I thought the same thing when I was changing models but I stuck with Victory. I even spoke to the owner about concerns I had that Victory would be discontinued in favor of Indian. I got the, 'Nah - Victory is going to be around for a long time' missive. Even the dealership folks had no idea that this was coming. On the one hand, it sucks that they did this. On the other hand, the bikes I have will probably last me as long as I plan to ride motorcycles.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Niceorange

Niceorange Member

2012 Victory Cross Country, 2002 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100
    Polaris can suck it. There was 1000 ways they could have handled this better.

ideally they could have actually invested in Victory and brought in some new product lines rather than focusing all the resources on Indian. No offense to Magnum owners but that's still a 2010 design at heart. Imagine if they'd finally built the liquid cooled twin cruiser that everyone has been waiting for for years.

If they had to dump Victory, they could have sold it off. Clearly it is a valuable brand and network so it would have been worth money. The fact that they didn't is all you need to know about their true motives - to boost Indian by eliminating Victory as a competitor.

But what they really should have done but completely F'd it up, is to merge the brands. Had they rebranded the Victory lineup as part of Indian - maybe called the the Victory collection by Indian or something - and successfully completed a dealership network merge, etc. they would have faced far less backlash and would not have alienated the entire worldwide VOG and dealer network. Sure, some of us would have been sad to see the brand slowly dissolve, but it sure as hell would have hurt less than this. It also would have opened the window to keep some of the Victory lineup that is really niche out there. There will certainly never be anything Indian like the Vision, and there is nothing in the Indian lineup that provides the stretch room that the XCs do.

Good luck to Polaris and Indian because I will never buy any of their products again.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Elec277

Elec277 New Member

2015 cross country
    This is really a hard one swallow for me. i got my license on 07 and bought a Suzuki boulevard right away. no American companies had anything that fit me in my price range when i was looking. I always believed in learning to ride on something smaller and work your way up. Two weeks later i stopped at Randy's cycles in northern Illinois just too look. They had a decked out Kingpin sitting there and i became a Victory fan for life. I kept the Suzuki 6 years longer then planned. i sat patiently waiting for victory to come out with a full fairing bike. Out comes the cross country and bam my bike had arrived. I really wasn't a fan of the bars and the color choices so again i wait. So in 2015 my prayers were answered gloss titanium with the blacked out look. Exactly what i was waiting for color, look, everything. So over the next year i buy front lowers, the touring pack, put on passenger floorboards, and buy and powder coat a heel shifter and next year put on the new pipes. And so the letter comes in,shock isn't the word more so embarrassed. For fighting for the brand, for trying so hard to get people to understand the american builder in the midwest, for supporting something that isn't a dam Harley. i always said Harley doesn't really care about brand loyalty because they know people will still buy because deep down they know there buyers don't really want to be different. I have and always will love victory and i have always liked Indians but will not buy one. Polaris u lost a very loyal person today I will continue to ride my bike until its time to switch or stop riding all together. i am a very proud union member and will only buy american bikes in the future if i decide to continue riding. will never own a Harley and will not buy a Indian so unless an American company builds something else only the lord knows what the future holds. Ride safe everyone

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. jedi-mcfly

jedi-mcfly Well-Known Member

2005 kingpin
    ...can you stop something you love?

7. Sonic

Sonic Active Member

2012 Victory Cross Country. Sunset red and silver
    If President Trump is serious about protecting American jobs and businesses and returning to methods of torture, maybe he could threaten Scott Wine and Steve Menneto with a spot of waterboarding to try and convince them to change their minds about shutting down Victory!! :work2: :huepfenicon111:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  8. smitty1961

smitty1961 New Member

2015 High Ball
    I got a letter in the mail yesterday from the company supposedly from Menneto trying to explain away their failure to adequately support the brand, noting that a lot of their riders were very upset, but hoping I would consider Indian brand bikes in the future. I guess they've been hearing from us on this and similar boards. Let me just state my feelings if any moneyheads from Polaris are reading these threads- I will never purchase another product from your company due to the way you bailed on Victory and left the dealers, suppliers, and most importantly the owners hanging by their short ones.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Sonic

Sonic Active Member

2012 Victory Cross Country. Sunset red and silver

I followed the same route as you did. When I decided to change over from Japanese "crotch rockets" to a cruiser I bought a Boulevard. When I moved from the U.K to France I couldn't re-register the bike there so started looking for something else. I tried an electraglide and was bitterly disappointed, too short for me, rubbish front springs in the forks and after two hours in the saddle back ache. The moment I saw my Cross Country (ironically in a Harley dealership) I thought I hope this thing rides as good as it looks and fortunately it did. I was completely knocked out by the comfort and the sports bike like handling. It looked like a bike that had been made for the biker build off T.V show. I couldn't believe that it was a mass production bike, it looked so good. In my opinion this is a real tragedy. Polaris have been given a golden opportunity to to be the leaders in a new and exciting sector of the bagger/ touring market but have chosen to take the easy route by sticking with the classic style. I really like the Indians but for me I will be hanging on to my Victory for many years to come.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 1 MEAN66

1 MEAN66 Well-Known Member

2014 Cross Country 8 Ball
    Hey Victory ( Polaris actually ) Wife is getting a new bike this week! Found a company that makes one to fit her, a weight she can handle, and the "stuff" she wanted on it. They are also have a " tuff" time selling bikes, but so far have not quit! I love my Victory Cross Country 8 Ball and will keep it. If you ever decide to make another American Bike and occasionally up grade or add models and maybe if my "Vic" wears out I will take a look. Indian is not a bad bike in fact it does what it is designed to do perfectly and like no other. The problem is I believe it is ugly and the scout line offers me nothing either. So I do not care if it says Indian on it or what the name is. It's the bike that counts and, the where and who makes it also. As once we were called "the American Colonies" we have money down on a Brand New ( leftover also not wanted) Triumph America LT. Cause the wife likes it's looks, will do what she wants it to do, and comes with just the "right stuff" as standard equipment. Hard to keep buying bike after bike when YOU gave no one a reason to trade for something better or different. How long can you sell just valance fender'd, soft sided saddle bag ( that looked even worse after being ridden in the rain) dressers??? Even Harly had to change; FLH then FLT even a V ROD. Will keep my eye open to see what happens. Hope ya make it! Jerry

11. Darth_v8r

Darth_v8r Well-Known Member

2016 CC8BALL, 2017 Kawasaki Versys 650
    Not me. I'm going to ride, even if the only bike I can find is built in uzbekistan

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mike0910

mike0910 New Member

2010 Victory Vegas

There are a lot of Victory's out there since that they started. They need serviced and things bought for them from places like Lloyd's ,etc.
    Polaris is supporting the Victory for 10 years.I wouldn't be afraid to buy a new one and get my money's worth out of it. I love my Victory but don't blame Polaris business wise for not supporting two motorcycle brands. Indian was a big name acquisition for them. And they are great bikes too.,I rode all of them. Polaris has a big heritage with Indian and I with them success

13. mike0910

mike0910 New Member

2010 Victory Vegas

Read view of Polaris stopping the Victory brand

14. Mike-Vegas

Mike-Vegas New Member

2012 Victory Vision
    I just bought a practically new 2012 Vision.. only 4200 miles with Stage 1 exhaust, driver backrest, gps, bag liners, super clean.. this was after the Polaris decision to shut down Victory. Corporate support has no bearing as to which bike I buy. It's about the ride.
    I've wanted a Vision for a while now, then my wife had a chance to hop on a Vision with me and said "Wow, this is comfortable. We should get one."
    ... You don't need to tell me twice.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Howie G.

Howie G. New Member

2016 Victory Gunner, 2017 Cross Country
    Dragonman, I also was stunned when I came back from a ride on my 2016 Gunner and a neighbor told me Polaris was going to stop manufacturing Victory. I looked on the web and found out it was true. I went to an out-of-state dealer looking for another Vic, since they are bound to be collectors pieces, if they are taken care of. I got a 2017 Cross Country (pearl white) for an amazing price. I agree, Polaris, thru it's current Victory and Indian dealers should support Vic owners with parts and service. If not, they will have a hard time convincing any current Vic owner to buy an Indian, when it's time. I didn't want a Harley, hell, everybody has one of those. I didn't want an Indian, way too gaudy. I wanted a Victory, a Gunner especially, because of the old school look, and the fact it wasn't a Harley...and it was made in the U.S. Then they yanked the rug out from under Vic owners. Hopefully, a startup will purchase the rights to the Victory brand, dies, tooling, parts and everything else and start production, again, someday.