Plug Gap | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Plug Gap

Discussion in 'Victory Vision' started by MeSeaHunt, Jun 5, 2012.

1. MeSeaHunt

MeSeaHunt Banned

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2011 Pearl White Vision
    manual says .032-.036 for the gap, should it be min or mid or max on the gap? Thanks :scooter:

2. OneThumb

OneThumb OT-CAN

Does it really matter, all are within spec.

3. Keith Grey

Keith Grey Grouchy Old Member

None
    Running .034 on mine, but my original plugs were .030 Also, I'm running hot wires and MSD Coils. [​IMG]

4. MeSeaHunt

MeSeaHunt Banned

2011 Pearl White Vision
    I am also doing the same set-up as you which is why I decided to go ahead and change the plugs to new for the hec of it....

5. MeSeaHunt

MeSeaHunt Banned

2011 Pearl White Vision
    I can not give an educated answer to that BUT I am sure that there IS a difference in spark/combustion/heat value w/the different spec ranges? Me being more on the performance side of the house I like to always swing in that direction when possible/allowed.

6. vision_nut

vision_nut Moderator Staff Member Moderator

vision 08
    The gap adjustment can be crucial to proper engine operation. A narrow gap may give too small and weak a spark to effectively ignite the fuel-air mixture, but the plug will almost always fire on each cycle. A gap that is too wide might prevent a spark from firing at all or may missfire at high speeds, but will usually have a spark that is strong for a clean burn. A spark which intermittently fails to ignite the fuel-air mixture may not be noticeable directly, but will show up as a reduction in the engine's power and fuel efficiency As a plug ages, and the metal of both the tip and hook erode, the gap will tend to widen; therefore experienced mechanics often set the gap on new plugs at the engine manufacturer's minimum recommended gap, rather than in the middle of the specified acceptable range, to ensure longer life between plug changes. On the other hand, since a larger gap gives a "hotter" or "fatter" spark and more reliable ignition of the fuel-air mixture, and since a new plug with sharp edges on the central electrode will spark more reliably than an older, eroded plug, experienced mechanics also realize that the maximum gap specified by the engine manufacturer is the largest which will spark reliably even with old plugs and will in fact be a bit narrower than necessary to ensure sparking with new plugs; therefore, it is possible to set the plugs to an extremely wide gap for more reliable ignition in high performance applications, at the cost of having to replace or re-gap the plugs more frequently, as soon as the tip begins to erode. Wikipelia is where I found this

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. OneThumb

OneThumb OT-CAN

I agree with above, but if the specified gap setting is .032-.036, anything in between is splitting hairs. OT

• Like Like x 1
  8. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    I know this is an old thread. I changed my plugs last weekend. And added BG K44 fuel cleaner advised by my son in law. Ford mechanic to help possibly with a ping issue I had last 700 mile trip with honey and luggage.
    I posted my results on a thread I started called “pinging issues” but wanted to post here because of plug gap.

So for starters I find the old plugs gapped at 28 and 26. Wasn’t me ?
    New plugs in at 34 to 35 and a noticeable when I started the bike. improvement in performance ? I have used BG K44 in my 01 ford truck that sits quite a bit to help with rough idle and found excellent results using it so I added 4oz to my Vic when I filled the tank and rode around 100 miles.

After 10 or so miles I could feel that I had better throttle response and acceleration. Possible dirty injectors ? Either way the proper gapped plugs and possibly the fuel cleaner seems to have done the trick.

I know guys that have plugs in their bikes for years and won’t change them until a problem occurs. For $6 Auto zone ? I’ll change them at least yearly or every other oil change.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Okie with a Vision

Okie with a Vision Active Member

2013 Vision
    Interesting comments and opinions. My thought is if you've got good compression the larger gap is the way to go. Note Vision Nuts comments about a fatter spark. You old timers should remember the plug tester that you screwed the plug into and connected your Air hose, which pressurized the tester. and turned the igniter on. There was a little window where you could see the plug in action. Basically it was designed to show if the ceramic was cracked but also showed the difference of good and bad plug gap.. Kinda cool actually...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Motorbikerx

Motorbikerx Well-Known Member

2010 XC
    Just changing the plugs on the XC, my records show Ive done a bit over 32,000 kmson them and Vic would have them change at 30,000.
    will be interesting to feel the difference...Thought Id better refresh my memory on plug cap.
    In the old days we used a hacksaw blade....times have changed....or was that for points? (remember them?)

11. Okie with a Vision

2013 Vision
    HA. Havent known of 2 people that used that measurement for points. Infact i had plum forgot that old timers trick. One thing about the days of yesteryear, Engines and their parts were a lot more forgiving.

12. lou8700

lou8700 Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads, 2014 Honda Valkyrie
    Come on man, everybody knows it's a hacksaw blade for spark plugs a business card for points. Next thing your gonna tell me you don't remember you need steel toe boots for an accurate tire pressure check!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Okie with a Vision

2013 Vision
    Bidness card. what da hell is that?

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Motorbikerx

Motorbikerx Well-Known Member

2010 XC
    Checked my old plugs that had been in there for the last 32,500kms
    Which according to my records ,
    Was when I fitted the new plugs ,after I had fitted a set of VM1 cams, Lloyds air filter, and gutted the exhaust, prior to riding carefully to Procycle for Fred to perform a thorough 2 cylinder Maximus Dyno Tune on my XC,
    I keep a log book on everything done to my bikes .

Out of interest I checked with feeler gauges what the spark plugs gaps had grown to in the last 2 years...
    38 thou!
    So there ya go , could maybe have tapped up closed back to 34 and kept riding but for $5.50 each Im going with fresh plugs.
    Might check the Gap at 15k kms though and maybe gently tap it back if it's growing out of spec.

PS anyone out there with a micrometer like to Mike up a hacksaw blade and a bidness card just out of curiosity?...go on

• Like Like x 2
  15. lou8700

lou8700 Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads, 2014 Honda Valkyrie
    Hey, it's 10 degrees and I'm bored.

They'll get you home in a pinch.

20210218_172314.jpg
    20210218_172209.jpg

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1