VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Coat the inside of the boot with dielectric grease and it comes off easier. I use the same pliers as in the video.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Completely unnecessary but done anyway. 28,175 miles on these. Broke the wires during the process. Already ordered a new set. View attachment 493505
FWIW the pictures indicate your engine might be running quite a bit rich. Mine is tuned to run rich but the insulator remains mostly white. I also stripped one of the wires when changing them out with Iridium ones a few weeks back but it's not a difficult fix.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx guys. I already Have WD saved to my phone. Wires cheaper on Amazon. Teak a little rich since I unplugged the O2 sensors added Atom Bombs unrestricted. Someday I'll get the PC5 installed and dyno tuned. Went with same plugs as OEM. No sense in changing in my book. Oh, Lloydz wheel set at +4 as well.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, I'll run right out and buy that tool. I just change things when I feel it's needed. I know of the plug boot pliers but I'm impatient so I had to wait for new wires to arrive :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
FWIW when Rylan tweaked my VV with cams pipes tuner dyno et al he changed the plugs.. I asked why, as they were iridium and pretty new, and he said as hot at these motors run he likes to do the plugs often. and he put in OE plugs, not iridium. They are inexpensive, it's easy to do, and the engines generate a lot of heat, so why not? So I have gone back to OE plugs and change them fairly often. again, FWIW...

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
FWIW when Rylan tweaked my VV with cams pipes tuner dyno et al he changed the plugs.. I asked why, as they were iridium and pretty new, and he said as hot at these motors run he likes to do the plugs often. and he put in OE plugs, not iridium. They are inexpensive, it's easy to do, and the engines generate a lot of heat, so why not? So I have gone back to OE plugs and change them fairly often. again, FWIW...
It's pretty pointless to change them often, and since you had irridium in there, they should have been left alone. As long as they are the correct heat range, there won't be any problems with them.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It's pretty pointless to change them often, and since you had irridium in there, they should have been left alone. As long as they are the correct heat range, there won't be any problems with them.
Or I'll trust the expert

Reactions: vision_nut and FoFo

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
95000 same plugs and they look great!
Seems alot of folks are happy to keep the spark plug economy rolling! My second bike the Vegas 37000 and I might check them once every 10.000 maybe not!
I prefer rideing ! That's just me though!

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
Checked my plugs for the first time at 48,000 miles and was surprised to see how bad they were. Electrodes were badly worn. Now I change them at around 25k. Every bike is going to be a little different. If anything mine may run on the lean / warm side being stock.

·
Registered
124 Posts
pissing contest over as far as I'm concerned. VicShop said change them. I change them. done...

Reactions: BrandonM7

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Since my age is above 60 I find that I derive more satisfaction doing simple things to the bike instead of stuffing small fortunes in g strings to buy oil for her old man's Harley. Call me crazy. I changed my exhaust tips today for the peace and quiet afforded me when I'm wrenching. No phone. No people. No rush. Ahhhhh.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not riding today because it's Left Of Center Labor Day here in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Tourists that never drive curves are here and in a hurry to get to the next road side stand or mountain vista. But I have fresh plugs, wires and tips :) May run up into Kentucky next weekend then out to Oklahoma the third week of September. No I didn't hit the lottery.

·
Registered
124 Posts
J. Wales I'm in Norman, OK should any needs arise - K.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
95000 same plugs and they look great!
Seems alot of folks are happy to keep the spark plug economy rolling! My second bike the Vegas 37000 and I might check them once every 10.000 maybe not!
I prefer rideing ! That's just me though!
Disagree as you will !
I'm riding smooth and seamless peeked at them yesterday just to see and no issues!
Any time a plug ever gave me grief it began doing odd things ,missing and fumbling
I don,t change my tires either if they are not worn badly are buggered up in some way
Your more then welcome to enjoy pplayin with things on you bikes,hell change fork seals every 100 miles to if ya like! Don,t effect ,me
All im sayen is alls good at 95000 k on thegeezer glide with same plugs!
And I'm happy as a clam with how it runs! Each to there own!

Reactions: J.Wales
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.