VOG Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my baby since 2004 and this is the first real issue ive had. my son went to ride it last week and the battery was dead so he used the battery charger to jump it off. I think it messed something up because it will only run at a real high RPM or if you keep turning the throttle up and down. if you go to low rpm it starts missing real bad and even pops some. I replaced the plugs and put in new fuel and it still does the same thing. can anyone point me in the right direction ? there isnt a shop within 200 mile of me that im aware of.
Thanks, Shane

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Go to The Vic shop website. He has some great video's. A bike that old it is very possible your rubber is going bad in the intake system, plugs, lines, throttle body boot, etc.

Reactions: Shanesr

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
Never ever EVER try to jump the old bikes like that. More than likely you've blown up the regulator/rectifier. My son did this twice to his 01 and we had to replace the R/R both times to get it to run afterwards. The electronics on the vics are their achilles heel... mechanically they're like a donkey but the electronics are picky as HELL. You can try to put in a new battery and see if that helps but I would definitely check the R/R before calling it fixed.

There are lots of video's out there, but this one is pretty easy to follow.

If you do end up having a bad one, and most do on the old bikes, you don't have to buy the whole 'kit' that they used to sell... more than likely the stator is fine even if it is only a 28amp. Here is a replacement unit that isn't too expensive and although it might take a bit of crafty to make it all fit ( the black and red cables prob won't reach to the battery, you'd have to cut the old ones and use them to extend to reach from the R/R to the battery). Don't just buy this, do the testing first, then if you DO need it, you could look at this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Voltage-Regulator-Rectifier-Victory-2008-2017/dp/B0154Y9UGG

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.