Planning 1st Iron Butt | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Planning 1st Iron Butt

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by mdhall41, Aug 21, 2020.

1. mdhall41

mdhall41 Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2012 Victory Vision
    Planning to do the 1,000 miler (saddle sore) in the next couple weeks. Planning to basically do a big loop from Charlotte NC area, up through VA, WV, and maybe into PA, then over and back down, possibly hitting Southern OH or KY for a spell. Couple questions for anyone who's done one...
    1) All interstate or throw in route 55 or something similar toward mid ride?
    2) Any other tips aside from making sure bike is in good shape (it is) and doing a good pre-ride inspection?

2. spamaster

spamaster Well-Known Member

2013 Victory XCT Black
    Drink plenty of water. that is all I ever do for long rides.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Known1

Known1 Well-Known Member

2013 Cross Country Tour
    Besides the obvious with the bike, my personal recommendation is to make sure YOU are ready for that kind of ride. If you haven't been riding long distance as of late, simply jumping on your bike and going 1,000+ miles in a day is going to take a huge toll on your body. Work your way up to it. If you can not handle a 500 or 700 mile day now, I would wait until you know that you can. For me, daily push-ups are the key to riding long days. I find that if I don't do at least 10-20 push-ups a day my shoulders and neck get extremely stiff/sore riding long days.

Another thing that may or may not be possible, try to pick a day or time of the year that is not going to be crazy hot. The hotter it is the quicker your seat will become uncomfortable. The right pair of underwear can also make a huge difference for the long hauls.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    Get well rested and hydrated in the days leading up to the ride.

Pack some snacks for your fuel only stops to save time.

Doing a 1k day on a Vision is cheating period ! I was on the road at 0400, got home around 0100, didn't fall asleep for over an hour. Woke up at 0500 like any other day ready to go.

We did all HWY but we spent some time (2hrs) at the Wheels Thru Time Museum. We were rolling 75-80mph . Had to stop every 150 miles due to my bro's Chieftain's fuel range.

Have fun and be safe.

5. mdhall41

2012 Victory Vision
    Yeah, that part I'm good on... I've done several 700+ days in my life and many right around the 1K number... I've just never "planned" it and applied for the certificate. I rode up to MI from NC earlier this year and didn't leave until mid-day, rode around some rain, but through some and logged 800 that day... another 200 would have been no issue.

I know - the Vision is cheating - I've done similar mileage on my Judge and 79' Goldwing - those trips were a little more challenging. My HD was OK, but not a Vision...LOL

Wheels Through Time is a great place to stop while doing that!

• Like Like x 2
  6. vindex1963

vindex1963 Administrator Staff Member

2015 Cross Country...2006 Triumph Rocket 3
    On both IB rides I've done we stopped every 150 miles for gas and a stretch, 19 hours later were arrived.

7. jmstang302

Our day didn't start off smoothly. About 20 miles in 70 was closed (18 wheeler fatal). That was no big deal, hang a uey in the median, double back, didn't add 10 minutes. Then in VA on 81 , same kinda crash but they were letting traffic pass on the shoulder. That added about an hour. This all cut Museum time.

I study my routes much better now to have alternatives in mind as we progress.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Rollin

Rollin Well-Known Member

For a first IBA ride I would recommend all or mostly all interstate, two lane adds time.
    Check each receipt and make sure it shows the correct time, date and place. Write the mileage on the receipt and take a photo of the receipt next to the odometer. The photos are useful if you submit the ride online or if you lose a receipt.
    Quick stops, gas and go when possible.
    Every minute is a mile, every minute stopped is a mile lost.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. dave21042

dave21042 Active Member

2012 Victory CC
    I just rode one yesterday. I used all Interstates. I Rode I-79 thru WV. It is a great road for this in my opinion. Fast but has twist and turns to keep things interesting. A lot less traffic then I-81.

We think we lost an hour on I-64 near KY/WV boarder supposedly Tractor Trailer crossed the median is what we heard. So expect something will come up.

We got lucky and it was cloudy and highs in the mid 80s. Carrying Water and snacks helps with time. I planned stops about 2 hours apart, we got lucky with weather. So we had a little break. Took about a 30 minute lunch break.

I think right now with pandemic going on you really only need gas receipt/odometer pics to veryfy.

I ran bubbler on my phone which uploads to Soot Walla. I am going to submit that as well.

Sorry for the long post it is all fresh on my mind.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. mdhall41

2012 Victory Vision
    I was looking at incorporating 79 as I've run 77 a few times on the bike and too many to count in the car. I've also run 81 a few times, so 79 would be a "new to me" road and so would whatever I cut across on (68, 76, or 50). Technically I've driven across PA on 76, but it's been a LONG time.

11. dave21042

dave21042 Active Member

2012 Victory CC
    I was also on I-68, That is a nice road as well with not much traffic. I really like I-79.

I-68 ends at I-70 and that is where you start to run into more traffic.

• Like Like x 1
  12. CCTRudy

CCTRudy Well-Known Member

2013 CCT
    The more Interstate the better and the earlier you leave the better. At this time of year you know you will spend time in the dark. Do as much dark time as you can early while you're freshest. Traffic is usually lightest early morning.
    Ride your odometer distance well over 1000 to allow for inaccuracy and any detours or missed navigation. I understand that they use Google Maps distance Point A to Point B. If you take the long way around a town between A and B or there is an undocumented detour adding a few miles you may not get credit if the Google route is a shorter distance.
    My odometer is off by about 4%. I needed1040 minimum on the odo, went 1100.
    I did a loop like you're talking about around Lake Michigan. I made extra gas stops in order to define the corners of the route. Like around the west side of Chicago to show I didn't short cut up the east side.
    Look out for deer, especially this time of year. If one runs across the road, expect a couple more behind. Sometimes I trail, not tailgate, a fast moving truck using his headlights too.
    Have a good time.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mdhall41

2012 Victory Vision
    Well, I'm en route now... Just stopped for breakfast. I'll post up a report when I get home!
    20200823_064614.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. Jasperboy

Jasperboy Well-Known Member

2011 Victory Vision Tour, 2015 Victory Gunner
    A little late for this year, but I did my 1K mid June taking advantage of the maximum sunlight of the summer solstice. Also allowed myself a little wiggle room for the actual day to try and get a dry day. I experienced low of 51 and high of 97, no rain and left and finished in the dark.

• Like Like x 1
  15. jmstang302

Be safe. Keep the shinny side up !

Hit us up if you need anything !

PM sent

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1