VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to take a moment to let you know that www.TheVOG.net, will be out of service for a few days for some planned site upgrades.

Simply stated, our site has grown tremendously during our short 2+ year existence and in order to keep it running quickly and smoothly a major upgrade is required.

Like a bike, we perform periodic service to the site that takes place in the background that is the equivalent to an oil change. (Just don't ask me what type of oil TheVOG.net uses!). You most likely didn't even notice when the site was being serviced in the past as they were just minor tweaks and routine maintenance. This new planned upgrade however, is more like a bike's 100,000 mile service interval where it will be in the shop for a few days. We did order all the parts for this upgrade in advance and we sure do hope we didn't forget anything!

I'll tell you upfront that this type of upgrade is a major one and the folks behind the scenes here at The VOG will be working overtime to make sure that the outage is kept as short as possible. Yes, it's a risky maneuver, but we'll be doing our best.

Our plan is to take the site offline on Sunday, October 24th at 7:00am Eastern and to have it back up and running on Monday, October 25th at 5:00pm Eastern. Of course, we'll send you a note when it's back up
and running. We'll also have a "holder page" that you'll see when you go to www.TheVOG.net that will provide any updates in case it takes longer than we planned.

While any type of website upgrade is a tricky and tedious process, we have full hopes that everything will be working properly. But, there's always a risk in performing this type of surgery. So, when we do resume service, please be patient with us as we restore some old features and add some new offerings. Like a bike, we will most likely have to do a bit of tweaking when the site comes back online...kind of like taking a bike back to the shop to get that "squeak" addressed.

There's also a small chance that everything could totally crap-out on us, and if that should happen, we'll have to punt. Let's hope that doesn't happen!

If all goes as planned, there will be some changes that you'll notice when you first log back into the site. There's a chance that some of the features that you've become accustomed to using may be temporarily missing. The vast majority of these features (hopefully) will be reinstated shortly after the relaunch. We're also hoping that some new features will be available immediately with other upgrades coming very
soon.

The purpose of this upgrade is to make the site stand up to increased usage levels in the future and to be able to offer some new features over the long haul.

So, I'll thank you in advance for your patience and understanding as well as your ongoing support of The VOG.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts

Ok, so do you mean I should start filing for myunemployment insurance, this is classed as a temporary layoff right?
Is it true that this upgrade was caused by one of our Premier Members jumping ship to another brand and demanding that his voiceneeded to be herd?
OT

·
Registered
60 Posts
Andy,
Are you going to add a new feature that is a thumbs up or down to postings (like FB). There are so many postings that I bet a lot of us just like, but don't necessarily want to post +1 all the time. Would the experts and non-experts like to know that we "like" their postings? Just a thought.
Nett

·
Grouchy Old Member
7,250 Posts

How about an Upgrade T-shirt commemorating the PROBABILITY OF A SMOOTH TRANSITION ????
"ANDY IS OUR SITE ADMIN, IF HE STARTS RUNNING TRY TO KEEP UP!!!!"

·
Registered
7,141 Posts

Nett said:
Andy,
Are you going to add a new feature that is a thumbs up or down to postings (like FB). There are so many postings that I bet a lot of us just like, but don't necessarily want to post +1 all the time. Would the experts and non-experts like to know that we "like" their postings? Just a thought.
Nett
You mean like this
or this

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Maybe you can upgrade to a more user friendly environment like Vbulletin or phpBB ;-)

The 2 most annoying things about SocialEngine (I assume this is SocialEngine based but I could be wrong) are the way it forces the narrow dimensions on the content and it's override of the right button mouse click I use for spell check in Firefox.

I'm just sayin'

·
Grouchy Old Member
7,250 Posts
For Give Them Andy, For They Know Not What They Do!

V/R
Non Compis Mentis

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
OT, -1 for spelling, you've been corresponding with Chris again, uhuh, I knew it.

Andy, if this goes south, I want my money back!!! Oh yeah, wrong web forum, this one is free.
Andy, keep up the good work, and don't let OT's miss guided ways lead you astray to a PC or something similar.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for the notice Andy! And for a great place so far! Looking forward to any upgrades. Enjoyed the videos ref Clubford00 and Vision in another thread. Nice to have some history being a newbie! All I ask is you make it easier for us electronically challenged! LOL! Spell check would be nice too! LOL! Will be waiting patiently!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.