VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted something different, so different is what I got. I'm selling off the bobber to make room for my new to me VFR Interceptor. Don't let the first two pics fool you; it has a seat! (What?I was excited!)

View attachment 501595

View attachment 501597

View attachment 501599

View attachment 501601

It needs some TLC, but the bones seem good and so far there's nothing it needs that I can't handle. For $2300 this will be a FUN fixer upper! Can't wait to start carving up some of the winding mountain roads we've got around here!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HA! Yes I had my glasses, gloves, earplugs and keys in the helmet. I set it on end and it must have rolled a bit after I walked away! Good catch VVB that is hilarious!

Fortunately (or unfortunately) the "season" is pretty much over. That helmet just hit the 5-year mark so it is time for a replacement anyway. I guess I'm just not too concerned about it getting scratched up anymore.

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
HA! Yes I had my glasses, gloves, earplugs and keys in the helmet. I set it on end and it must have rolled a bit after I walked away! Good catch VVB that is hilarious!

Fortunately (or unfortunately) the "season" is pretty much over. That helmet just hit the 5-year mark so it is time for a replacement anyway. I guess I'm just not too concerned about it getting scratched up anymore.
I've been riding since 12 years old. In Michigan, helmet law till a few years ago. I can't count how many helmets I've had, BUT, know one thing, EVERYONE had a scratch no matter how hard I tried to keep without.:censored: (even snowmobile helmets!)

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I've been riding since 12 years old. In Michigan, helmet law till a few years ago. I can't count how many helmets I've had, BUT, know one thing, EVERYONE had a scratch no matter how hard I tried to keep without.:censored: (even snowmobile helmets!)
My helmet has pits from rocks and **** hitting it, I have to buy another, I gotta figure out how to get my zombie sticker off and onto the new one :(

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
My helmet has pits from rocks and **** hitting it, I have to buy another, I gotta figure out how to get my zombie sticker off and onto the new one :(
Hair dryer:icon_thumleft:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah man, it's been bumped around a bit. I try to take care of my gear, but somehow, someway, my helmets always get checked up. just minor stuff really.

As IM12STPN mentions, a hair dryer should be tried first, but if that wont get it hot enough try a Heat gun. Just go easy on it. Those things start fires!
:campfire_flames_md_wht:

·
Super Moderator
26,119 Posts
When I first started riding I had a Sportster. I learned real quick when the bike was running no matter where or how I tried to place my helmet on the bike it would be vibrated off. I still remember my first helmet and when she hit the ground the first day within the first few hours of being a motorcycle owner. That slow motion "N-o-o-o-o!" Followed by "Damn it!"

My Visions don't do that.

As for your season being over you can always bring'em down here. No sessions to worry about. Just hot, hotter, and hottest.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
My brand new Shoei got a nice scratch in the visor after just a couple of rides. :cussing:Not even sure how. Fortunately it is up high and not really in my field of view. My seat is slick as ****- nothing stays on it. They should coat frying pans with whatever they made this seat with.

·
Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
6,677 Posts
@Blackened Wow, congrats on the vintage Interceptor! That is a Gen 5, pre-VTEC right? What a great bike. Even the VTECs were great, just a bit more complicated because of the variable valves and all. But great bike, dude! Enjoy.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Blackened Wow, congrats on the vintage Interceptor! That is a Gen 5, pre-VTEC right? What a great bike. Even the VTECs were great, just a bit more complicated because of the variable valves and all. But great bike, dude! Enjoy.
Close! it is a 2002 making it a 6th gen. After I bought it I found out they didn't make yellow VFR's in 2002 so now I've got a mystery on my hands. I don't see any signs of damage on the frame or engine cases so I don't think it was wrecked. If it is a respray someone did an awfully meticulous job to make it look factory. I'm going to be pulling off the side covers this week so I'll know more soon.

For the sake of saying it... I'm not worried or bothered by any of this at all. I paid $2300 for it and I bought it to ride it so I'm not worried about resale and all of that. As long as it rides good (Which it seems to) I'm good with it being the wrong color.

·
Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
6,677 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
My brand new Shoei got a nice scratch in the visor after just a couple of rides. :cussing:Not even sure how. Fortunately it is up high and not really in my field of view. My seat is slick as ****- nothing stays on it. They should coat frying pans with whatever they made this seat with.
Yeah I drop my new Shoei I'd be really pissed most comfortable helmet I've ever owned (GT-AIR) and I got it for a ridiculous price.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
2000 was the last year they made yellow I believe. Definitely a re-painted 6th gen.
I confirmed last night that it is a respray. The paint code under the seat is R157 which is "Italian Red" according to a few websites I checked out. I also found a spot where the paint was chipped under the seat and you can see the red underneath. Quite frankly, I dig the yellow so I'm not complaining. Whoever did the paintwork on it seems to have done a really nice job. It looks factory.

Cool bike. i bet that exhaust with straight pipes is loud as F#%k
The exhaust is ridiculous. Holy crap this thing is loud. I just bought a set of stock mufflers from ebay. It's amazing how cheap parts are for this thing so far. Granted it was a used part but I was able to pick up two stock mufflers and the down pipe (It's all one unit) for $106!

Chain and sprockets are also on the way, I'm changing out all of the filters and fluids, cleaning out the fork seals this weekend as the left seems to be leaking. Hopefully that will save me some grief. the R/R checked out, New tire up front, rear has about 60%+ left on it.

The clutches might need replacing. It seems like it's grabbing awfully far out and since it is a hydraulic clutch there is no adjustment for it.

So far it feels like a win, but I have to see what happens when I really wind it up. I may discover it's popping out of gear every time I hit 10K RPM's!

Then
I've got a problem! :banghead:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
REEEEEEDD! I don't know how I missed this!

I swear it's never fails. I get a new visor and I am guaranteed to scratch it at least once within the first 24 hours. I can put a new shield on my helmet, put it in the closet and come back the next day to find scratches in it. I like those iridium visors too and they ain't cheap!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, Here is the laundry list I went through over this last weekend:
  • Oil and Filter Change (Had a K&N Oil filter)
  • Brake fluid flush(Front and back)
  • Clutch fluid flush
  • Adjust Idle speed
  • inspect reservoirs for worn seals and parts
  • Check wheel and swing arm bearings
  • replaced Chain and sprockets
  • replace missing intake snorkel :whatever:
  • Check/replaced spark plugs
  • replaced open exhaust system with stock exhaust
  • removed Power commander
  • Inspected wiring harnesses for heat damage/signs of wear
  • inspected big blue connector on left side
  • Inspected harness on the right side
  • Cleaned and lube turn signal switch
  • Repaired kill switch

The only thing left is the air filter and intake snorkel which are due here this coming week. Brake bleeding this damn thing was the worst part of what I did. It takes up 7 pages in the shop manual!!

Otherwise I hope to get it insured and registered this week so I can get some cool weather rides in... before it gets too cold to ride at all!

Pics because.... well pics. Man for $2300 I am not complaining at all.
View attachment 502423 View attachment 502425 View attachment 502427 View attachment 502429 View attachment 502431 View attachment 502433 View attachment 502435

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.