VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts

While this looks really cool, it seems Vic has taken the future idea a bit more seriously than what a potential buyer may want and be able to afford later this year or next. I say that having just seen the pics of Honda's Fury due out in 2010., a 1300cc machine that has a very custom look to it.
JMO

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts

Here's some more photos and videos. Feel free to post your comments and opinions below:

(See Victory Press Release Below)

CORE is a concept motorcycle designed and built by the Victory Motorcycles Industrial Design team to show what a performance cruiser of the future could look like. It consists of only the essentials: engine, frame, wheels and front suspension - norear suspension. Its unique cast aluminum frame was made by pouring molten aluminum into a sand core, which was removed when the casting was complete.

INNOVATIVE CONCEPT MAKES A STATEMENT THAT GOES BEYOND MERE 'CUSTOM'

MEDINA, MN (Jan.16, 2009) - When the Victory Motorcycles design team decides to build a concept motorcycle, they go all-out and push every aspect of their own performance. Leveraging decades of design and fabrication experience and the considerable knowledge that comes only from designing full-on production motorcycles, Polaris Industrial Design Director Greg Brew, Lead Industrial Designer Michael Song and the Polaris ID staff decided to build one of Song's concept sketches into a full-scale machine.The motorcycle came by its name for several reasons.

The design team felt the name CORE perfectly reflects the essence of this concept motorcycle. It is, in fact, the raw "core" or center of a motorcycle. There is no traditional bodywork; the motorcycleis effectively turned inside-out with its architecture completely exposed. It also accentuates the innovative frame design and the process that is used to make the cast aluminum frame: the molten aluminum is poured into a sand core, which is removedwhen the casting process is complete.

The Victory CORE concept motorcycle incorporates technologies and construction methods that only a major manufacturer could engage. Song, known for his design input on the Victory Vision luxury-touring models that debuted in 2007, chose to go acompletely different direction with his latest design project."CORE is pure motorcycle," Song said. "We wanted to strip everything not critical and build a motorcycle that uses some of the production technologies we have incorporated into the Victory Vision. The frame and engine architecture of the Victory Vi-sion was our inspiration - but we wanted to make a statement beyond 'custom' and create something completely unique."

One notable difference between the Victory Vision Street and Tour production motorcycles and the CORE Concept Motorcycle is the absolute absence of bodywork on the CORE . In fact, the concept bike's frame is the body, incorporating fuel, air-box, battery box and the entire electrical system. Maintaining the minimalist theme, the motorcycle is a rigid frame without rearsuspension and features a contoured mahogany seat.

The overall impression is a thin, low, sharp and purposeful motorcycle that is elemental and fierce at the same time. Built around a Victory Freedom® 106/6 Stage 2 power plant (1731cc), producing 97 horsepower / 113 ft/lb, the CORE introduces a completely modern take on an American motorcycle using both personal design values and industrial production techniques,

Brew is excited about the opportunity to showcase his team's skills in real metal and rubber."CORE represents the heart of Victory Motorcycles," he said. "We want to create a new design language, but never in a way that interrupts the function of the motorcycle. The fact is a project like CORE is as important to the design team as winning Daytona would be to an engineering team. 'Pushing the boundaries' is just another cliché - CORE exists to show the world how dedicated Victory is to the art and science of motorcycle design.

"CORE is as important to the Victory Motorcycle brand as it is to the design staff. According to Victory Vice President & General Manager Mark Blackwell, the Victory CORE Concept Motorcycle perfectly reflects the brand position of Victory. He also feels it comes at a great time, during Victory's 10th Anniversary and just when the company is moving to further sharpen its brand position.

"Now that we are in our 10th year and have a fairly complete line of premium cruiser and touring motorcycles, it is clear what we stand for, and who we appeal to most. Victory stands for class-leading quality, innovation and style. Victory is American and new - always looking forward.

We are all about the future of American motorcycles. I believe that CORE clearly represents that philosophy and attitude. Victory appeals most to motorcycle enthusiasts who love motorcycles and appreciate performance and innovation. To them, it's all about the bike and riding. I believe motorcycle enthusiasts will be as excited about this new concept as we are."

·
Registered
119 Posts
Congratulations Vic engineers! You just completely wasted monies and time towards a concept bike that is worthless!!!!!!!

Try listening to your customers and dealers and design a bike to compete with the 1200 HD sportster. Something entry level comsumers can handle!

I thought one of the big selling points of owning a Vic was that the mother company listened to the bike owners. I guess now that we have a new "leader" of the company they can start wasting monies on concept bikes.

Sorry folks but I am more than a little disappointed in Victory management and how they are handling the roll out of the 2009 line. And now this circus act.

Roger

·
Registered
48 Posts
Kind of disappointed it is not a designbike they are planning to put into production. At first glance it seems really cool but the closer you look it doesn't seem very practical. I agree a entry level bike is what Victory needs.

·
Registered
103 Posts
A rigid frame without rear suspension and a contoured mahogany seat.

I'm thinking that if they drive nails up through the bottom of seat, where the points stick out the top, it might be a little more uncomfortable. Or, maybe not.
My first thought was, "Wonder what it'll look like when it's finished."
Oh well, I'm on an old V92TC, and I fantasize about a Vision. Guess I just like a little more stuff hanging off the frame.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I like it too, a modern bobber? And as for a poor concept, dont think so if it is used as a proving ground for new designs and parts. Touch of judge dredd about it.

and if you dont like it what do you think about the honda concept bike? absolutely impractical but great to look at.

·
Registered
189 Posts

I like it! I am a Vision owner.I like the new look it may not be for today but naked bikes are starting to show up more and more. Not my cup of tea but I can appreciate the future design.
I dont suppose the Vision or any other new bike or car were liked upon being a concept vehicle.
Looks good guys don't stop now, pandoras design box has been opened.

·
Registered
252 Posts
That's it? That's all? That's disappointing Victory!

HD has already done the 'minimalistic' bike approach concept - so nothing new here.

Here's a link to some 'real' concept bikes (scroll down the right-hand side of the page and look at some of those innovative and creative bikes - very cool) http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2008/09/18/buell-conversion-kit-from-fusion-motorcycles/

Victory could have gone a long way towards putting its name on the top of the list of innovation in motorcycling and continued the momentum it acquired with the Vision's introduction by giving us an 'off the wall'... 'state-of-the-art' ... 'head-turning' machine. Instead, they give us that?

If this bike hits the production line, it better retail for under $8K, because other than a entry-level sticker,I don't see any other benefit to it or the company.

I've been pretty proud of Victory to date, but now I'm almost embarrassed to tell my HD friends about 'the latest' to come out of 'the new American motorcycle' company.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Core is outrageous, yet it presents itself as a dignified work of art. How could anyone offer negative critism regarding such advanced design and technology? Are these people really serious to say this design is not beautiful? The shallow remarks are actually sad...and yes I know...everyone has a right to an opinion. I am over 60, ride a single seat stripped Vegas, and would not mind owning the Core. Fuddy-duddy riders missed the point of the bike. Good job Victory.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Okay, let's look at the big picture.

This bike is being shown at a motorcycle show. At any trade or consumer show, the manufacturers spend big bucks on their booths to get potential buyers to stop by and take a look at their lineup. We have to remember, this is a concept, not a production bike. It is dramatic enough where passersby might stop by to take a look and at the same time check out the "real" bikes in Victory's lineup.

In the car business, automakers design concept cars for a number of reasons: To gauge the pulse of the consumer on many of the design and functional aspects and another is to get some free press in order to expand the awareness of the brand. Let's face it, many of us enjoy reading about concept cars and seeing the photos. But, there's a drawback when the concepts get a bit too far away from the target market.

The drawback in this situation is that IF a number of motorcycle magazines give the CORE Concept some ink, many potential Victory purchasers could see the pictures and derive a preconceived notion that this is the direction that Victory is headed. While we know the CORE is not the true "core" of what Vics are about, imagine the guy flipping through the pages of a bike magazine and seeing the word VICTORY on the headline. These readers could get the wrong impression about what the current bikes are all about.

But remember, this IS a concept bike and if and when it ever goes into production, the final product will most likely bear little resemblance to this concept.

Like the Vision, this is a Love It or Hate It design. Personally, I'd enjoy taking it for a ride...if I could reach the handlebars! I'd most likely want a bit more padding on the seat too!

·
Registered
330 Posts
As a bar hopper, very cool, except a splinter inducing seat isn't my idea of comfort, not to mention in that sitting position if you whack the throttle you can rest assured your ass is going onto the fender. Pretty silly if you ask me.Considering all, as I was, were expecting somethingmore showroom ready, it was a bit of a dissapointment, as we all know whatever it is it's never hitting showrooms in that form, especially in a hard tail.

·
Registered
110 Posts

1: As a PR buzz it is without question a home run. The media loves the hype and the general public are drawn into the "emotion" of the event and therefore the brand is represented as a "desired" commodity. In this economy, many are NOT buying........... so let's focus on BRANDING.......... well done folks!
2: As a "concept" it "looks" very appealing and represents the definition well. The craftmanship seems to be top notch and I REALLY dig the ram air scoop feeding the frame integrated pressurized airbox (this is my opinion on where "CORE" came from).
Well, not that it matters, but in my perspective they sent out some mixed signals with this concept. I feel the thing looks very naked and mechanical.... which would be great if they realized that the more you expose that stuff you start to change your target audience............. and THAT audience sees right through this thing. Let's see....... radial brakes and sportbike front end on a rigid frame
That takes MUCH credibility away from its function immediately and function is where it's at in the enthusiast market. These buyers coming off sportbikes will laugh at Victory for doing a custom like this........ makes us look like just another cruiser company cluelessly building what has "image" driving it's design rather than function. I feel it kooks far more like a board tracker with the skinny profile and longer wheelbase than a "muscle" cruiser you want to tear the roads up with.
I think it is a beautiful work of art and look forward to seeing all the little details (which I am sure there are many) in person.
I will gaze upon this masterpiece............... and feel it looks better hanging on a wall.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Do you think that someone should tell Victory that Vertical License Plates are becoming illegal in some states such as Florida?

Maybe it will have a remote controlled pivot function so that if the rider gets pulled over, it will automatically rotate into the horizontal position! Hey, like the CORE, this is just a concept!

·
Registered
4,895 Posts

Just got back from the show. The Core is easy on the eye. I do not think the Fred Flintstone seat will be comfortable, It is a Rigid Bobber there is no rear suspension and no front fender.
They had a Anniversary Vision, a Red Vision and a Naked Vision as well as a Ness Vision all of them but the Naked Vision are getting sat on and pawed by anyone who wants to. I felt sorry for the Anniversary Bike it looks abused already from fingerprints and shoe marks.
The rest of Victory's 09 line up was on displayalso free for the public to jump on as they wish.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

CONCEPT is the key word. It has good and bad points to the innovative design.
1. NOT Practical....but hey it's a foundation CONCEPT BIKE
2. Sorry don't need a piece of mahogony up my rear end. Besides THAT would make my butt look big! NO COMMENTS GUYS!!!!
3. The PIPES???? OMGGGG They better be heat wrapped and then some. OUCH!
4. I like it as a CONCEPT, but it needs more. A LOT MORE!
5. Defintely a Conquest Customs inspiration.
6. TOTALLY impractical for much other than a bar hopper or show bike.
I'm into touring and riding so my tastes favor more practicality than show.
OVERALL I like the lines and the seat can be "fixed if it doesn't Fix YOU First".
Still wish their "new" bike was something a bit more tour oriented. I don't want to even say "Bagger"
~~~~~~
At the San Mateo IMS Show, everyone was also climbing all over the bikes! They loved them. The Vision in particular was receiving a ton of attention as usual.
I talked to a couple of Vic corporates there and they said they do NOT want to copy anything that's been done before. Well They weren't lying there!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.