VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have read multiple times on what these vic engines can do. I have searched but can't find anything recent. I live in the Northeast so region probably matters. Anyone know what the general range of cost is to have someone professionally install performance cams?

I am fortunate enough to own a 2014 Vic and a 2016 indian roadmaster. I know how much the big bore kit is for the indian but i am figuring the Cams added to my VIC would be a better bang for the buck.

the other consideration is that when i bought the 2014 on closeout last year, i opted for a 7 year extended warranty. i plan on keeping her till the wheels fall off and figured if polaris actually stands behind it, it will be a good deal. (let's not debate that one). I worry about cams causing damage that would then NOT be covered by the warranty.

if i build the RM with a 116, Polaris is behind it. They had a problem with the first set and are fixing all on a recall now. If the cams on the vic cause a problem, i lose any chance on my warranty , let alone thinking about parts availability.

Questions:

1. what is the generatl cost of having a cams install ?(range is what i am looking for, i have no clue.)
2. What is your opinion on risk on cams install long term? if you did cams, was it worth it for what you paid?
3. Vic Build or Indian build which way to go? i am only doing one.

I have gotten great advice here always. ,,, what are your opinions. on the way to go?

·
Registered
12,831 Posts
All in you would be between $1500 and $2000.
Reason ....... you will want a Lloyd’s filter and you will need a Maximus tuner and a Dyno tune. Right there is $850 including the Filter.
Cams installed ? $1000
Exhaust ? $500 to $1000
See where I’m heading with this.
It’s a winning combination that will all around enhance performance and give you the reliability and longevity you desire.
Look at my list.
8 yrs running strong and not a hick up.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
regarding cams .... the only regret I have ever seen , is the 'Why did I wait so long to do it '

Peter

·
Premium Member
14,203 Posts
Upgrades, see signature, on both my bikes by KEVINX.:dance: CC it was done at cam party with 1000 miles on bike. Now 48,000 HARD miles....tires, gas and VICTORY oil is all that's been needed....oops at 45,000 spark plugs, did just to do. VEGAS...to KEVINX right after break-in, 2 days after purchasing. My HD buddy says it needs a "tether".:icon_rockwoot:

Only regret is wish had Maximus tuner rather then PCV on CC. When extra $$ might change.:icon_thumleft:

BOTH bikes dyno'd by KEVINX:clap:

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
If you’re only doing one I’m going to assume the reason you want to do one is because you want one of them to go fast? It would be a contradiction to spend money on performance parts AND do it with factory warranteed parts. Harley, Victory, Indian doesn’t matter. In all cases you probably get around double the power for the dollars spent going aftermarket. As for the results, 1500-3000 dollars spent will get you more on the Vic than it will the Indian so I’d go that route. I would have zero reliability concerns about doing a cam job and tune on a Vic, if this caused an issue, like the 116 Indian kit did, we’d know about it by now, it’s not an issue. Besides, in order for there to be a warranty issue the modification has to cause the failure, cams don’t cause other parts to fail so your warranty is fine.

Reactions: 40caliber

·
Registered
12,831 Posts
Yeah .... it’s not like the cams will put you at hyper speed. They are mild to say the least. Performance is nicely enhanced and you will feel a difference. You want serious power then big bore is the next step.
A cammed and tuned 106 is perfectly at home on the street. You will gain 20 hp to 25 hp and around 10ft lbs of torque. Go for it.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
You have to have all the other goodies including a great dyno tune, but it's the cams that give that little extra attitude to the engine.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Don't think anyone brought up the underrive pulley. Less money than cams, you can do it yourself or wouldn't cost much for a shop to do and a number of folk here have said they would do that...then cams to follow. (And no retune needed for the underpulley). And don't think any reason it would void warranty. WitchDoctors or Conquest Customs sell them.

·
Registered
12,831 Posts
Don't think anyone brought up the underrive pulley. Less money than cams, you can do it yourself or wouldn't cost much for a shop to do and a number of folk here have said they would do that...then cams to follow. (And no retune needed for the underpulley). And don't think any reason it would void warranty. WitchDoctors or Conquest Customs sell them.
While UDP is a great addition it is nothing compared to a cammed and tuned VIc. Fact is I was fine without the UDP and power was more linear and 6th gear never thought of. Slower speed riding thru neighborhoods and parking lots resulted in better throttle response. Less drive train jacking.
Acceleration is improved with less down shifting needed. Only down fault is speedo error. 7 mph off.

Reactions: Tenax66

·
Registered
11 Posts
DIY cam install was a no brainier for me for me considering local labor cost and its not exactly that difficult if you do the research.
As others have said, you need to combine other performance mods with the cams, done correctly it will transform your Victory into what it should be. Do plenty of research into what you want in terms of performance and products, Lloydz and the vic shop are great places to start.......not so sure about that warranty !

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
While UDP is a great addition it is nothing compared to a cammed and tuned VIc. Fact is I was fine without the UDP and power was more linear and 6th gear never thought of. Slower speed rodeo g like thru neighborhoods and parking lots greatly enhanced throttle response. Less drive train jacking.
Acceleration is improved with less down shifting needed. Only down fault is speedo error. 7 mph off.
You can only be 7 miles per hour off at a certain speed. The difference is a percentage, not a number of miles per hour. The faster you go, the more miles per hour you will have difference.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
awesome information, thanks all, yes, i was leaning toward hopping up the Vic CC as the roadmaster is fine as a tourer all by itselt.

i am in NH, how do i find a place to get this done? Vic shop is IA, LLoydz is pine bush NY. that's a hell of a drive and winter is coming so maybe. ......thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Pine Bush is not that far away. It’s certainly a lot closer to you and I than Iowa.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
only 216 miles...hmmm interesting

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Pine Bush is only 66 miles from me in SW CT. Adel, IA is 1,270 miles

·
Registered
12,831 Posts
You can only be 7 miles per hour off at a certain speed. The difference is a percentage, not a number of miles per hour. The faster you go, the more miles per hour you will have difference.
Yes. You are correct. Not a big deal for me. I figured an average 5 to 7 mph diff. Not a big deal. Honey one day on the back kept saying :
"Your gonna get a ticket" lol I had show her a gps speedo app in my phone to prove to her how off we were. Higher speeds seem to be greater.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I learned the hard way a gps 8s only as accurate as the # of satellites tracking. I was using the gps on my work truck exclusively and my boss said check your speeds against the speedo. He said if there's not enough satellites available the speed on gps can be way off. Damned if he isn't right. I've had the garmin be anywhere from accurate to 14km/hour (8mph off). And not to the safe side either. I go by the truck speedo exclusively now.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Already have an exhaust and "stage 1" maximus tune flashed on my '17 Gunner, planning cams and torque tubes this winter, followed by a (800 mile) trip to kevinx for him to work his magic. Don't worry about the warranty, worry about the smiles your missing out on!

·
Registered
12,831 Posts
The pulley puts you off. Still the trade for it is worth it. With my total combination I would say I have an awesome stock bike with just bolt ons and tune. Ridden faster for sure but this one is strong.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.