Penske rear shock install advise. | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Penske rear shock install advise.

Discussion in 'Victory Cross Country' started by burbansk, May 24, 2021.

1. burbansk

burbansk Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2013 Victory Cross Country Tour, 2000 BMW 1150 GS, 2008 Honda TRX 700 XX
    Hello all, My new Penske rear shock for my 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour will hit my door tomorrow if UPS is on time. Does anyone have any advise or tricks on the install? I have watched the Witchdoctor video and I am a very good mechanic. Do I need to remove the rear wheel or just the seat and side covers to do the R&R? Thanks for any info and pictures. Bruce.

2. wvrider1

wvrider1 Well-Known Member

Goldmist/Black 14 XCT
    I had my tire off because I was doing other stuff. Getting the lower clevis over the spacers was the biggest challenge.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. walks35

walks35 Well-Known Member

2004 Victory Kingpin
    If you got the tools and the time it's easier to get crap out of the way. I have a Pin which is much less effort getting to the shock to replace but I also removed the rear wheel for other work and it was pretty easy to do.

4. burbansk

burbansk Member

Thank you WVrider for the picture. From the looks of your picture the bolt hole goes to the rear of the bike. I will take my rear tire off, it is no big deal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. burbansk

burbansk Member

Thanks walks35 I have a few different types of lifts. Did you grind the lower portion of the air shock like they say in the Witchdoctor video?

6. Chris_TX

Chris_TX Member

2017 CCT, 2002 Yamaha Warrior
    I was prepped for a major event but mine changed out super smooth. I had it up on my lift and then raised the fender up with a scissor jack. I had zero issues getting the old one out. Take you time, don't rush, make sure you have the max space available between the fender and the tire. I didn't have to grind or cut anything. I also didn't remove my tire

7. burbansk

burbansk Member

Thank you Chris for the positive info. I shall do just that. My shock arrived yesterday and it looks quite impressive. Do you guys let the air out of the old shock before removal? The Victory repair manual shows removing the air shock with the push rod attached to the upper shock. Here is a pic of the new shock before installation. 20210525_184649.jpg

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. DAVEofSAC

DAVEofSAC Well-Known Member

2014 Vision
    Part of rear tire removal's shock uncouplin'. So, anyone who's done a rear tire knows the drill. As other's have said they were doin' stuff to the rear tire so, yah, the shock was unbolted.

YES! By all means bleed the ol' rear shock before removin' it. As mentioned, after uncouplin' the shock, 'n maybe unboltin' the upper swing lever portion, the shocks will slide in 'n out, from the top, quite easily.

Usin' a scissor jack to lift the bike's weight off the shock's a GREAT help as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Chris_TX

Chris_TX Member

My shock seal was blown so it was totally drained of air when I did mine. Don't forget to take off the tip over switch. You'll be fine. It's much easier than it's made out to be. I had mine switched out in about an hour.

• Like Like x 2
  10. burbansk

burbansk Member

Chris TX, I finally found some time to work on my rear shock swap. I have the lower shock and sway bar mounts off, the bike is raised and swing arm lowered. I have the lower shock mount moved past the swing arm by using the grind down trick from the Witchdoctor video. My question is besides using a long 17 mm box wrench and muscling the bolt out is there any other tricks? You said that you had yours done in a hour and I am past a hour already. I am also trying to leave the top mount off the sway bar on the connecting bar or what ever they call it. Thanks for any help.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chris_TX

Chris_TX Member

remove the entire shock rocker assembly, pushrod and all, as one piece. Once it's loose from the top, you should have no problem removing any bolts remaining. Don't forget to take out the retaining screw from the top of the fender so the rod holding the rocker assembly slides out.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. s-glide76

s-glide76 Member

15 Victory CCT, 15 Triumph Scrambler, 97 Electra Glide, 76 Superglide, 06 Kaw KLR 650..

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. burbansk

burbansk Member

Chris, Thank you for the info. I now have it dropped down low so I can remove the top shock bolt and back nut. S-glide76 thanks for the video, I had already watched it and did the grind down trick as mentioned above. The only problem with this video is they don't show you the top mounts mainly the rocker guide pin. I thought that I have seen many different shock set ups in my time but as they say you learn something every day. Thanks again to all for the help. I will post when I am done with it if I can find any time between work and life to get back in the garage. Can't wait till I retire in 196 days. LOL...

• Like Like x 3
  14. burbansk

burbansk Member

Guys I have the new shock and push rod installed but before I finish bolting it up could someone please post a picture of how the lower mount should look. Right now I have the flat side to the front. I have seen pictures of it both ways. The way I have it now makes it easy to get at the air valve. The way I had it before you could not see the valve it was hidden under the frame. Thanks, Bruce.

15. wvrider1

wvrider1 Well-Known Member

Goldmist/Black 14 XCT
    flat side goes to the rear. The offset or bolt head goes toward the rear off the bike. If you would look on the inside the swing arm isn't machined as much. It would bind the shock when the suspension collapses.