VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you know my buddy KCJ, for some of you who do not I will give you a brief overview. KCJ is what I have come to know as a true biker. I put allot of mileage on, but I do it because it is fun, he does it because it is the only thing he knows. He grew up in Alaska until moving to Florida a few years ago to be closer to his kids. Most of us here are a little spoiled, especially me, we have the most state of the art bikes and ***** and moan about the backfiring, our dealers and lately what makes a tour bike (no comments Rollin..lol). He bought his latest bike about five years ago while he was still in Alaska. It was a used Yamaha V-Star 650, since then it has seen close to 400,000 miles and one motor job along with the transmission (motor wasn't bad but he figured while it was out). The bike has been back and forth to Alaska and everywhere in between. It is his only transportation so he rides it through all sorts of weather, weather that would make us cringe and go back inside for our car keys. Two years ago when we had a hurricane coming near us, he was still out there. I told him he could borrow my truck and he thanked me, smiled and road off on his little bike.

KCJ's company was closing its doors and relocating to Mexico, he suddenly found himself unemployed. With that they offered him some schooling so he is relocating himself to Georgia area because his x-wife moved to Tallahassee shortly after he settled into the Orlando area. He is a position I have heard many times, screwed by an X-wife but loves his kids and will do anything for them, even though it is screwing up his life. His bike is his best friend, I am a close second, but lately it has been moody. The turn signals stopped working, then the running lights, horn and various other little problems. I told him to bring it up to my buddy at Suzuki and just have him send me a bill. KCJ is to proud for that, again he smiled and said he would take care of it when he got settled in in Georgia.

I drove up to Georgia with him on Friday and helped him move. We had a fun time bull****ting and talking about bikes. He told me he would love to buy a Kawasaki 2000 but he was afraid that he couldn't afford the payment or the gas. Then I seen the first signs of depression in his face. Then I asked him about the C50 and what he thought, he said he didn't really know, he never looked at a Suzuki before. Where he lived in Alaska there was only a Kawasaki dealer so that is what he always looked at. Then I told him which one of my bikes was a C50 and he said he never realized it was that small since it was big compared to his.

I decided at that point I needed to do a good dead, it has been a long time since I had made a friend and motorcycles have been what has brought me closer to allot of people, including some here. I called his brother who lives near me and told him what I was up to and if he could help. He was on board so I called my buddy at the Suzuki dealer and told him to release the C50 to his brother. Without him knowing we got the bike back to his brother house while we were coming home from Georgia. As we were getting close to home I told him we were going by his brothers house to drop the trailer since I cant get it in my driveway. He said that was cool, we could use a drink.

We got over there and headed out to the back where the bar is. His brother set the bike up on the back porch. KCJ walked walked right past it without even paying it any mind. I thought that was strange because you don't normally see a bike on the back porch in my neighborhood. So we sat there mixed our first drink and started talking about the trip. I finally asked him if he notice the bike and he said yes, it's a pretty bike. So I motioned to his brother and he tossed him the keys. He started to say he couldn't and I stopped him. I told him he was one of only three friends that I have ever had that never asked me for anything but their friendship back and I would be offended if he didn't. Well lots of hugs and lots of laughter, well shortly after he got back from a short ride.

We have spent the last two days riding and it is great to see his smile from ear to ear..

Yes, this post has gone an odd direction, I was starting it to be his review of a C50 coming off a 650. But like most post it sort of goes it's own way and during this holiday season I thought it was fitting. We all know someone like KCJ that could use, not a hand out but, just some help to get them back on their feet. I would like for all of us to think of someone that could use a little support especially this time of year.

Don

·
Registered
6,128 Posts

That's what it's all about Don. The more you give, the more you receive. Sounds like he has given you a lot over the time you have known him.
Good man Charlie Brown.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
advntrus said:
You're a good man Don. You give Sh*tty bike reviews, but you're a good man.
This economy is hitting people we know and care about. I've had the good fortune of being in a position to do similar things. We have a guy that Julie and I (in a good natured way) call our "Butler".Maybe I'll PM you about him, but I won't hijack the thread with it.
Now if you're ever in the mood to throw the Keys to the Vision.............
Shawn
Shawn,
Hijack away, that's the moral of this thread, doing good things for others. The more good stories out there, the more people that will think twice about helping someone. Doing good deeds is contagious...

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Andy said:
Very nice Don.

Words fail me. What a great way to start the Holiday Season.
I never though you would not have the words???
Thanks... I am glad I left the Guru speachless, that is my payback...lol

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

I can relate after getting divorced, having two kids to support, loosing my house and my job all in the same year. I feel the same way about my friends and my bike. Despite all that, this Thanksgiving I found many things to be thankful for.
Don you can't put a price on that kind of friendship or effectively put into words what kind of an impact that kind of a gesture can have on someones life. You are a good man. Thank you so much for the story.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
We all help our families through our lifetime's Its what families do, its expected, its normal.
When we do something for a stranger or a friend its special. I go through life taking things for granted as probably most of us do. Ill ***** about this or that and then ill see someone in a wheelchair or with a disability and ill feel like crap. Good for you Don on this selfless act of friendship. Someday i hope to be in your position and be able to do something large for someone out of friendship and kindness that is down on a bit of luck or just in need.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Clubford00 said:
We all help our families through our lifetime's Its what families do, its expected, its normal.
When we do something for a stranger or a friend its special. I go through life taking things for granted as probably most of us do. Ill ***** about this or that and then ill see someone in a wheelchair or with a disability and ill feel like crap. Good for you Don on this selfless act of friendship. Someday i hope to be in your position and be able to do something large for someone out of friendship and kindness that is down on a bit of luck or just in need.
Dean, it is not only the big things. It doesn't have to be a material item, I think sometimes we get to caught up in material items. Sometimes it just takes talking with people, when I go to the VFW and talk with the WWII vets, they are just thrilled to have someone to talk to and understand them. Even though half the times I cant ( I have bad hearing) .

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
dsjr70 said:
Dean, it is not only the big things. It doesn't have to be a material item, I think sometimes we get to caught up in material items. Sometimes it just takes talking with people, when I go to the VFW and talk with the WWII vets, they are just thrilled to have someone to talk to and understand them. Even though half the times I cant ( I have bad hearing) .
So true!

In the late 1990's, I had a Sheltie named Whisper. Because of her very calm demeanor (unlike my other Sheltie, Sally), I applied to have her tested to be a Therapy Dog. It took months and numerous training sessions, but she (we) were approved.

For nearly a year, once per week, we would visit an Alzheimer's home and spend an hour going room to room. There's no way I can put into words some of the experiences shared there. Some of the Patients who could not remember their relatives would remember Whisper and welcome her into their rooms.

It was an absolutely amazing experience and I'd recommend this to anyone as it's a nice way to give something back to others.

Sorry, DSJR, not trying to steal your thunder, but you're absolutely correct about it not being about material things. Giving makes you feel good inside.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
In the last year my son and i have helped in some food lines and soup kitchens with his scout troop and I agree, some things dont need to be big to be good. The people coming through seemed so appreciative of us being there and helping. It was great to see there faces and then sit with them and talk. Like you said sometimes just having someone to talk with means everything.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Clubford00 said:
In the last year my son and i have helped in some food lines and soup kitchens with his scout troop and I agree, some things dont need to be big to be good. The people coming through seemed so appreciative of us being there and helping. It was great to see there faces and then sit with them and talk. Like you said sometimes just having someone to talk with means everything.
See that's the type of crap I am talking about. So you lost alittle free time but look how happy a few hours made to a bunch of people.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
I didnt consider this lost time, I enjoyed doing it. I enjoyed helping people. And i enjoyed the stories they had.
Did i do something to piss you off?

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Clubford00 said:
I didnt consider this lost time, I enjoyed doing it. I enjoyed helping people. And i enjoyed the stories they had.
Did i do something to piss you off?
No, nothing at all? I think that is great, just trying to add a little lightness to a somewhat (to me anyway) a serious subject. People just dont help each other anymore, it is to easy to turn a blind eye...
BTW, since you brought up the Boy Scouts, that is the greatest organization for kids. I dont know if it has changed over the years, I know from being in a few troops some take it more seriously then others, but I guarantee you I would not be where I am today if not for them. Beyond tieing knots they teach kids respect, self-respect, honor, loyalty and team-work. Again great organization...

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
I was never a scout as a kid I was the athlete in the family and never had any "free" time. However being involved with my son from tigers to boy scouts not only taught me a few things but helped keep me close with him as well.
I love the fact that they do go out and help in the community as well as travel to help the less fortunate.
One thing i have to say also when we were on the toys for tots ride last week. On the ride something really hit me. We were crawling through town at a blistering 2 mph and stopping every 50 feet or so because it was tire to tire, But on the side of the road that was lined with i think the whole town was one little girl kinda in the back with a hand made sign that just said "Thank you" Ill tell ya, im 6' tall 235 lbs and right then and there i just about lost it. Until that moment i was thinking this is great, 2500-3000 bikers bringing some toys to some kids. At that moment it hit me what we were really doing there. I felt great joy and sadness at the same time. From now on when i do these rides, Ill think a little differently about the whole thing.

Sunday Dec 6 is the big Chicago Toys for Tots ride. If the weather does not permit me from riding, Im going to have my toys and take them down to donate in the cage.

I think Tiny Tim did say it best, God bless us....EVERYONE !
Merry Holiday season everyone, and may GOD bless.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Good man Don! I'm sure he will enjoy the bike but your friendship will mean even more.

I'm guessing that you will enjoy watching him enjoy the bike about as much as he will.

Nice !!!!!!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Don't know if this will help, but here goes~

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24830

I've got a lot of parts in great condition that are just sitting there since putting on the new goodies.

I've got:

-Seat
-Passenger Seat
-Front Fender
-Rear Fender
-Handlebars

Think thats it, if you want them come and get em! Willing to take a donation, but if not, there free!

Devon is in Temecula, CA but free is free! Contact him thru Pashnit.
~~~~~

Great story indeed as I have been the recent recipient of Pay It Fowards and YES it did make a difference not only to my bike and me but my overall Moral.

As of now my budget is flucked. My way of contributing back is helping our others with chores or encouragement. Not getting depressed and staying positive is the key to success. I also consider "Success" not neccesarily monetary. Although $$$ make it alot eaiser, I've seen a lot of pisspoorexcuses of human beings that had loot. I'd rather be a good person than a rich person. (OMG I said that~ I'm buying lotto tickets tomorrow for that. I'll share if I hit big!)

Seriously I wish you friend well. I wish us all well. Times are really tuff and not looking up too soon. Being there for your friends is so much more fulfilling.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Putter said:
Good man Don! I'm sure he will enjoy the bike but your friendship will mean even more.

I'm guessing that you will enjoy watching him enjoy the bike about as much as he will.

Nice !!!!!!
Unfortunetely I will not to get to see to much enjoyment. That is the sad part, he finally left for GA yesterday, but we will get to see each other over some holidays...
Don

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.