VOG Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently sold 2 bikes that I had for 5 years, to try to find a touring bike that would work for both myself and my wife, We purchased a 2010 XCT. We like the overall feel of the ride. I rode it home 300 miles the first day. My passenger however found the footboards to high and the the seat not nearly as comfortable as her sofa on the Goldwing. Can anyone help me find anything that will help with both situations. We ride about 300 miles max per day and usually no more than 5 days in a row. Thanks

·
Registered
304 Posts
I had a seat made for the xct that raised us up a couple inches. So many aftermarket seats actually lower the riding position. I'm 6'5" with a 36" inseam and the stock seat was too low. Don't know about the '10, but my '12 has adjustable passenger floorboards...3 positions. I also took the padding out of the rear trunk backrest so mom's butt can slide back a little further and let the upper part be a lumbar support. It works...

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
I put an Ultimate seat on mine, and have been doing sometimes over 700 mile 8-12 hours days, and maybe a bit uncomfortable the last hour at times.
One thing is the seat does move the driver forward and down a touch from a stock non XCT seat so I had to move my shifter and brake controls to the forward position.
The other thing is the seat is wide enough for the bags to rub when they close, and the seat may get squished down far enough to touch the bag lids while riding.
Great seat, but Russell Day Long is supposed to be even better, but hundreds more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you. I have ordered the 2012 mounting brackets, to replaces the non-adjustable ones on the 2010, that I have. I have read online much about the Ultimate, the Russell day long, and the BMS saddle. Only the ultimate seems to not require the seat pan. I also wonder how much customizing each will do for any given seat. Thank you in advance for your input. I am anxious to ride more this season.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Not sure who but I have herd of a couple places if you ride your bike there they custom fit the seat while you wait. Or they make the seat you ride it for a bit and then they make some tweaks while you wait, something like that.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Kuryakyn Part#7016 - I added these pegs for my wife to provide a 2nd riding position. They are meant for a Honda GW. The holes don't quite align to the CXT passenger peg mounting holes. I used a dremmel on the CXT holes to widen them and they mount just fine. They are lower and more forward which will help for a tall person.
In the down position, they can hit your legs if you are walking the bike around. Just keep they up until you are on the road.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
We've put a Russells seat on our last 2 bikes. When we got our 2011 XC I arraigned for a drive-in seat upgrade. My wife wasn't with me, so my seat was perfect but hers was not quite right. A few months later we were riding to Oregon so we stopped into the Russells facility in Northern California and they found that my wifes seat needed to be an inch higher and the sweet spot an inch back. We got the seat back to them and it came back perfect. We can ride "Day-Long" day after day. They will make changes to the seat for the first year free.
Another friend that has a Russells had the passenger portion upgraded twice until his wife was happy. They were minor changes, but made all the difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to eveyone that replied, I was able to find ajustable mounts and lower passenger foots boards. Have ordered RDL, but sadly won't have it until mid November, so won't get much of a chance to see how it does. I have been riding in 80-100 degree weather and have experienced a lot of heat on the right side, especially on the inside of my leg. Have looked on the blog for things I can do to relieve that heat. All suggestions would be helpful. I have disconnected the 02 sensors, and wrapped what I was able of the exhaust. It is still very hot. I suspect that it is still running very lean. Help

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
Do you Know of any mods?

If it's still stock ? Get a Lloyd's air filter and a Maximus Turner. With a laptop and a couple of tools to swap out the filter it's all plug and play.

Other than that pull your foot back on the board to raise your thigh away from the rear jug.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I 2nd getting a tuner to adjust lean.

If that doesn't help, maybe look at victoryonly.com Ripper Designer heat shields for under your seat to deflect heat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to BobB and Jmstang. I am ordering parts now. I have a Motorworx 801 tuning shop locally that specializes in the 106 tuning and claims to tune directly through the ecu. Am I still better off with a add on tuner that is adjustable?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.