VOG Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you familiar with shade tree adjusting the TPS on early V92Cs via shorting engine diagnostic plug pins B & E with a paper clip per that Vic Shop video, I've invented a TPS adjustment access switch using a couple of common items costing about $20 total. These are: a single pole single throw [SPST] toggle switch [$5] and the female electrical plug [$17] which mates with the 5 pin male electrical plug that is the diagnostic port on these bikes. That plug is actually the headlight plug from a 1998 Pontiac G6, available on E-Bay.

Fotos follow:

01. The diagnostic plug is under here

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Tire Hood Automotive tire

02. It looks like this

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle door Bumper

03. Diagnostic plug with pins labelled

Automotive lighting Electrical wiring Cable Gas Electronic engineering

04. New female plug with pins labelled

Input device Gadget Toy Font Gas

Note that male and female plugs are mirror images. Do NOT accidentally wire pin B to D on the female plug.

05. SPST toggle switch

Camera lens Camera accessory Digital camera Automotive lighting Cameras & optics

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Part 2...

06. Completed switch, simply solder the two parts together and shrink insulate the connections. Also, secure the unused wires to ensure they do not short each other or anything else. Then plug the male and female plugs together.

Cable Electrical supply Jewellery Circle Wire

07. Drill a hole [0.5 inch in this case] in the rear wall of the pseudo batter box that houses the ECM

Automotive tire Wood Grey Gas Motor vehicle

08. Mount the switch end of the tool

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Flash photography Bumper Gas

Note that "ON" means the adjustment function is engaged, and "OFF" means adjustment function is disengaged for actual riding.

I can now adjust the TPS without removing the seat or right side cover. I just reach between them and flick a switch.

This modification took less time than writing this post about it.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Pretty much the same thing I came up with. Mines an old guitar on/off pedal wired to a plug, I think it was from a trailer connection or something-can't remember its been too long. Has an LED light when it's in diagnostic mode. Both are a big step up from a paper clip, just need a long screwdriver & a good ear :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, that's cool. I actually have that same guitar pedal.

Yep, a long screwdriver and a good ear. Recent patient TPS tinkering/adjusting has my V92C running better than new with better fuel mileage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.