VOG Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was part of a parade yesterday and I added some oil to my 2012 victory Cross Country to avoid over heating. I think I put to much 馃 on the way home the bike would not let me shift up in gears like would only go up to second. Rode home like this for about 5 miles. Is this a sign of to much oil?

Super Moderator
I've never put too much oil in a bike so I don't know what happens. I also do not recall a thread of someone having the same issue.

I'd drain some to get the proper level and go for a test ride.

Registered
Not a sign of too much oil from anything I鈥檝e ever seen or heard. Too much oil could vent out crankcase hose. If your Victory isn鈥檛 shifting correctly check:
The clutch cable adjustment
The shifter linkage
The shifter bushings

That鈥檚 where I鈥檇 start anyway. Please let us know what you find.

Also; what oil, how are you checking the proper oil level, how many miles on this oil and how many miles on the bike?

Registered
Adding oil to prevent overheating is a new one to me.

I agree excessive oil should not cause shifting issues.

Excessive oil should blow out the crankcase breather but that can soak your air filter too along with making a mess.

Follow the process in manual to check oil level then remove some if necessary.
If you don't have a pump to get oil out then just change it all and start over.

• Agree
Reactions: normthenomad

Registered

Registered
A turkey baster and a length of that clear plastic aquarium tubing will draw out exactly the amount you need without releasing the drain plug and getting oil all over hell's half acre.

Registered
Since you were riding a parade, definitely check for proper cable adjustment. You may have overworked the clutch cable. Check to see if it may be starting to fray at the ends.
This was my first thought.

Reactions: Dan050

Registered
  • Agree
Reactions: Bikesofbrads

Registered
The jaso ma rating is specifically for wet clutch applications unlike regular V twin oils for the separate engine / tranny units HD produce

1 - 12 of 12 Posts