VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While this may seem Off Topic, if you're reading this, you're using a computer...or you have magical powers. So, this is relevant to users of this site.

With that said, if you use a Windows computer, have you upgraded to Windows 7?

If so, how did the Upgrade Process go?

Is your "upgraded" computer running better, faster, more reliable?

Would you recommend it to others?

I'll kick it off by stating that I have not yet purchased the upgrade discs. I have multiple computers and use various operating systems. I do know that to upgrade from XP to 7 will take some patience and the computer will require a full backup before installing the new operating system.

I am planning on upgrading a computer that's currently running Vista.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was under the impression that you had to upgrade from XP to Vista...Then you could go to Windows 7. I used it on a computer at school...(night class) I didn't notice anything great about it though...Although I never upgraded to Vista either which, I hear, was a real bummer for those who did... From my little exposure to it, I'm leaning torward...marketing hype.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
It is true you cant go straight from XP to 7
By the time you do you have killed a ton of memory. Ill wait till my next one.
I need to get a new desktop for my business so ill be getting one real soon.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I'm to understand, if you want to go from XP to Windows 7, you have to do a "clean install." That means that it will wipe the hard drive and erase all data. So, you need to first copy all your files to another hard disc, then perform the install. Afterwards, you can simply copy your files (photos, documents, etc.) from the external hard drive back to the computer.

But...yes, there's a but...

Using this method, you'll also have to reinstall all the programs. That's the real P.I.T.A. If you've lost the installation discs...you're out of luck.

For Vista, it's supposed to be a fairly simple process and preserves all the files/programs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Microsoft is becoming like the government... They keep writing meaningless code because that's what a software company does... Just like our state legislature...they keep passing stupid, useless and costly laws...even though we don't need anymore laws...because that's what lawmakers (politicians) do...

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While I'll be the last to defend Microsoft, there's other factors to consider:

Each year, more and more devices are designed to connect to a computer. Whether it's a smartphone or a home theater, the operating systems need to keep up with times. Software is how they do it. Yes, it's profitable for the developers, but it's also costly and time consuming to produce and it's a big gamble.

The good news is that most computers can be upgraded with software, hard drives and maybe some RAM. RAM prices have dropped dramatically over the past few years...and so have hard drives.

If you think about it, our bikes are using the same "formula" as the computer industry.

The Digital Wrench is just another method of eliminating bugs or incompatibilities that surface over time using software. Forgetting the problems with some of the maps, it's just how things are done today.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Andy said:
While this may seem Off Topic, if you're reading this, you're using a computer...or you have magical powers. So, this is relevant to users of this site.

With that said, if you use a Windows computer, have you upgraded to Windows 7?

If so, how did the Upgrade Process go?

Is your "upgraded" computer running better, faster, more reliable?

Would you recommend it to others?

I'll kick it off by stating that I have not yet purchased the upgrade discs. I have multiple computers and use various operating systems. I do know that to upgrade from XP to 7 will take some patience and the computer will require a full backup before installing the new operating system.

I am planning on upgrading a computer that's currently running Vista.
I actually just upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 today. I had a Dell desktop that was running really slow with Vista despite being a dual core processor with 3 megs of memory. It was taking almost 2-1/2 minutes to boot.
I did a custom installation rather than the upgrade. This is the clean install which means you have to reinstall all of your programs. The install went really easily. I had downloaded all of the required Win 7 drivers prior to the installation as advised. I reinstalled all of the programs without incident.
It's hard to say if the system runs quicker. It definitely boots much quicker than before (1/2 minute vs. 2-1/2 minutes). This could be do to the fact that I did a clean install and got rid of a bunch of the crap that had accummulated in Vista.
It's too soon to tell about the reliability. The interface is actually better than before. Got rid of Sidebar which was a resource hog.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Windows 7 may be the greatest thing since sliced bread but WHY DO WE NEED TO UPGRADE EVERY YEAR?? I've used windows 95, 98, millenium, 2000, XP, Vista, did I miss any (I'm sure I did)? We just shouldn't have to CONTINUALLY go thru this. I really feel for business owners that need multiple copies. Like I said 7 may be the greatest but Apple is gaining market share from this continual upgrade philosiphy of microsofts. I built a brand new pc a few months back, microsoft should GIVE ME a free upgrade if Vista is such a POS.

·
Registered
657 Posts
As a long time Mac user. I wish all you Windows users

GOOD LUCK !

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bikendad said:
Windows 7 may be the greatest thing since sliced bread but WHY DO WE NEED TO UPGRADE EVERY YEAR?? I've used windows 95, 98, millenium, 2000, XP, Vista, did I miss any (I'm sure I did)? We just shouldn't have to CONTINUALLY go thru this. I really feel for business owners that need multiple copies. Like I said 7 may be the greatest but Apple is gaining market share from this continual upgrade philosiphy of microsofts. I built a brand new pc a few months back, microsoft should GIVE ME a free upgrade if Vista is such a POS.
Well, not EVERY year...around every few years!

You forgot one...Microsoft Bob!

nd Windows Millenium Edition (ME) was the biggest Dog of them all.

Here's some nostalgia for you:

When Bob was launched, I had the pleasure of a one-hour, one-on-one meeting with Bill Gates. He was doing a media tour to tout Bob. I had about one hour of time with this interface before the meeting and I noticed something strange. While one of the features was a checkbook manager, they forgot to add a "print check" feature in it. He was caught off guard by my question and deflected it by asking how many people actually used these types of programs to actually print checks?

That was the same timeframe that M/S was in negotiations to buy Quicken...that deal failed. But, he had access to all of Quickens numbers in the proposed purchase. So I asked him, I don't know, wasn't that contained in the Quicken data?

He became uneasy at first, then started laughing and what was supposed to be a 15 minute meeting, turned into an hour. I have to say, he's a very laid back, but impressive, down home type of guy.

Here's Bob:

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
satxron said:
I still have XP. What does 7 do that I can not do now?
Have more expansion capabilities...64 Bit capable vs 32 Bit.

But honestly, if your XP is running well...if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
The upgrade process from XP to Win7 is pretty painless if you use the migration backup / recovery tool that come with Win 7. It not only restores your files it restores your setting, it even remembered cookies for Firefox.... (this could be good or bad depending on how "dirty" your XP instance is. You could also use a standard file backup and do a completely clean install which I recommend since you really don't need your registry and application file directories cluttered with old crap. Either way you will still need to reload all your applications.

I've been running it for a while both in Beta, MR and finally the real version (Enterprise version) and so far so good. I'm running the 32 bit version on my work laptop and it's roughly 40% faster than XP for most programs including compiles and loads. It also has much better memory management and actually runs in true multi-thread mode vs. the simulated crap in XP.

I run Vista 64 on another PC and I's say Windows 7 is marginally faster but uses about 30% less memory. I will be upgrading my Vista machine in a few weeks.

The interface is as good as MS has every released. Overall I would give this a solid 8 on the 1 to 10 scale but it's still a point or so behind Leopard and Snow Leopard is a solid 11......

·
Registered
531 Posts

Help out the computer illiterate:
I have XP, and lately when I fire it up I get a mssg about my hard drive is going to fail. I keep meaning to go get a new hard drive but now that 7 is out, should I upgrade the whole system, or maybe go the cheaper route and buy an external hard drive?
I am using an Emachine with a 160GB hard drive. I don't really like to spend alot of money on something that is out-dated so soon.That and I don't have much money to begin with. hehe
Thanks, Ron

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
rwilly said:
Help out the computer illiterate:
I have XP, and lately when I fire it up I get a mssg about my hard drive is going to fail. I keep meaning to go get a new hard drive but now that 7 is out, should I upgrade the whole system, or maybe go the cheaper route and buy an external hard drive?
I am using an Emachine with a 160GB hard drive. I don't really like to spend alot of money on something that is out-dated so soon.That and I don't have much money to begin with. hehe
Thanks, Ron
Hey Ron,

It sounds like you might be on the verge of a hard drive failure. If so and if your computer's hard drive crashes, you'll lose all your photos, documents, files, etc.

However, you could be seeing a bogus Spyware message that is prompting you to click on a button or link that could be destructive. I've seen these in the past, but since I started using Trend Micro security a few years ago on my Windows machines, I haven't had any virus/spyware issues. If you want to take a photo of the warning you're seeing on your screen, possibly we can assist you.

Either way, my advice is to Run, don't Walk and get a USB Hard Drive. Once connected, you can copy all your important or personal files onto this hard drive and have a backup in the case of a failure.

While every situation is different, I don't think that by just upgrading the Operating System to Windows 7 will solve your issues. After backing it up, you may need to replace the hard drive and reinstall the full operating system. If you don't have a copy of the current O/S on a disc, you'll probably be best served by picking up a copy of Windows 7 and doing a clean install on the new hard drive.

As you know, we have an Affiliate relationship with Amazon. Here's a link to a page with a wide assortment of USB Hard Discs. Just make sure that the size of the USB Drive you purchase is at least the same size as the computer's hard drive. Of the models listed on the linked page (below), I've had good success with the Western Digital Passport models for backup purposes.

Click Here For USB Hard Drives At The VOG Amazon Store

Also, for Window 7, here's a link to that page as well:

Click Here For Windows 7 At The VOG Amazon Store

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
I'm currently running Vista 64 bit with very few problems other than it's slow at times. Being that I'm running an intel Quad core Q6700 with 4GB's of memory it should not run slow!! If windows 7 will fun faster and smoother I may just consider it. I will first wait and see what problems develop with it and or my financial situation.

·
Registered
11,723 Posts
Have more expansion capabilities...64 Bit capable vs 32 Bit.

But honestly, if your XP is running well...if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
[/quote]

Sooo, what programs are 64 bit that I would need?

·
Registered
531 Posts

Thanks for your help, Andy.
I will get a USB hard drive and copy everything. I will try and get you a pic of the screen. I don't think it's any kind of spyware.
Ron

·
Registered
531 Posts

Kinda late in posting this.
Here is a pic of the screen I get whenI first start the puter. I just click on "f1" and it seems to work fine. I bought a external hardrive and moved all my pics and other stuff over to it just in case. I can't figure out how to move my email addys over but thats not too important. I might try installing a new internal HD if I feel up to it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.