VOG Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what people are using and how you mount them (Pictures?)
Im looking at a Flip HD ot the 3rd gen. Vado HD
Cheap and fairly good quality.
Has anyone used these?
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a Vado HD and it takes pretty good quality video for what it is, a low end camcorder. My Panasonic TZ digital camera has HD video capability and it takes better quality video, but not light years better. I've mounted both of them with a Ram Mount handlebar camera mount base. This mount is about as solid as you can get for a bike. Some advice: Mount the camera behind your windshield and shoot through it. You will get some weird reflections off of it occasionally, but when the camera is out is the wind it flutters, for lack of a better term, and makes some really vomit inducing, unwatchable video. This is due to the wind and the cameras shape, flat. Even when behind the shield the video is rather shaky and distorted whenever you're on the gas at all because of the bikes vibrations. The Panasonic is a little better in that regard because of its smaller frontal area, heavier weight, and because it has optical image stabilization, which helps get rid of the shakiness. The mini camcorders don't have optical image stabilization. To be honest I think a helmet mount with a low profile camera would take the best possible video because you won't get the bikes vibes coming through, but my looking like a dweeb line stops at the handlebars.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a lipstick cam as well but there are a lot of wires and stuff and the camcorder has to be either in a pocket or saddle bag.
Ive been researching the Contour HD and i think im going to go with that. Helmet mounting looks like a breeze and the video quality reviews look fine for what i plan.
Has anyone used the Contour HD at all? Feedback?
Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
The Contour HD is popular in the paintball world.

I'm looking for a dual purpose camera that I can use to record the kid's games but also attache to a motorcycle or paintball helmet. Any suggestions for that??? It would just need a view finder/display, zoom capabilities and have accessories to attach it to something.

What about external mics or bluetooth integration so you can record your narrations while on the road? Anyone doing that? What are you using? Do you have pictures of your set up?

I guess I could drill a hole in the top of my helmet and run a bolt into the tripod attachment of the camera:) I'm sure the helmet manufacturer would not recommend that...

·
Registered
423 Posts
I want a Contour HD 1080, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I am concerned about not being able to see what is recorded until you get back home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.