VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought this up on another tread and looking for input since there are allot of car people on this site. As most of you know I went away this weekend and let my wife use my CL while her car was getting a new top. Well I am losing my beloved car and in the market for a new one. I did look at a Lexus IS-F today and it is alittle to small for four people. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I ruled out Cadilac already even though the CTS-V was nice it just doesn't feel right.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I have an AMG CL65 and loved it. I would like another one but with the change in the economy I cant really afford another one. It has to be a bigger four door because I do allot of entertaining. Not sure of any Italian cars that fit the bill (not available over here anyway). I like BMW's and Mercedes but am open to anything... No Dean no mini vans...
I know pretty much anything I pick is going backwards but it needs to be affordable unless someone has a crystal ball that can tell me when everything is turning around... Oh the Presidents news conference is starting lets see what happens with this...lol

·
Registered
457 Posts

so place for 5 adults and a big boot?
But it doesn't need to be a high SUV? Because then your options widen to estates as well. Which are like SUV's for people who never go anywhere else but on tarmac ;) If you see my point
estate = suv for 90% of the people.
Unless you want the practicallity of a higher seat (to get in and out when having backproblems and such)

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Toyota Venza, ----Room for the crew, good milage, taller but not too tall, still handles well, good looking Toyota reliability, wont break the bank for a service and price starting just over 25k

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No SUV's, big, comfortable, good ride and fast. Going to look at Audi's tomorrow. I sort of like the A8 but thespread is MSRP is huge.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rider_eu said:
(r)s6 avant then
bmw 5/7
another mercedes
If you're going that route, I could recommend almost anything really. It's up to you
Just want to keep an open mind, there are so many specialty models that I dont know about. Like the IS-F, I never thought Lexus would build something like that. Basically a four door muscle car that doesnt turn well and rides like a brick. The CTS-V was a very nice ride and fastbut I had two Cad's previously and did not have good luck with quality. I know there are other things out there just not familiar enough.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Check out the Jaguar XF. It's comfortable, fast, agile, fast, lots of features, fast, cool and did I say, FAST? They have a supercharged version, but personally, the stock engine is still FAST enough for me. It's also a rear wheel drive car and delivers a nice ride.

My favorite feature is the Adaptive Cruise Control that uses a front mounted Radar system to automatically keep a safe distance from the car in front of you. It will accelerate to the set speed or brake down to 15mph. It's very cool, not only on the highway, as it will slow you down if someone gets in your lane and speed up when the path is clear, but also in slow moving traffic as it will keep you moving...and all you have to do is steer.

They did a nice job making the dash uncluttered while delivering a lot of features. When starting the car, the round shifter rises from the console and the A/C vents open...it's quite a show!

While many cars these days have control buttons on the steering wheel, this is one of the few that can be used without taking your eyes off the road. The voice recognition also works very well...unlike other models I tested.

I drove a few models in this category and I really wanted to like the Lincoln MKS as it has the best electronics interface I've ever seen (the Ford/Microsoft Sync System). But, having a car that size with front wheel drive as well as that bucktooth front grill kind of killed it for me. Also, that car was not designed for vertically challenged drivers as when the seat is elevated, your knees hit the bottom of the steering column. Taller drivers would probably never notice that flaw. In the case of a front end collision, your knee caps would probably take a beating.

During the shopping process, I also drove the Hyundai Genesis. I almost bought that one as the ride was amazing...better than the two aforementioned vehicles. I just didn't like the interior as well as the others...and the exterior looked like a Mercedes knock off on the front and a Beemer on the back...very strange. The salespeople were way too pushy. After I said "no thank you", they sent "the manager" to follow me through the parking lot to offer additional incentives. This was after they told me I'd be lucky to be able to get one as they were selling as soon as they hit the lot. Yeah, right! But if you like the style, it's a great car.

I'm also car shopping to replace my second car. I just test drove a Volvo XC-70 and loved the seats. This will by my "utility" car for hauling the dogs, golf clubs or trips to Costo.

Does anyone have any input on the Volvo XC-70? Since I don't live in a snowy area, I could go with the V70 as the all wheel drive is not that important to me...but I like the look of the XC-70 better than the V model.

And DSJR, you're correct, there's a bunch of car guys (and ladies) on this site. After all, if you're into bikes, you're probably into cars too.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
I've made another observation about buying cars lately. I've noticed that in some of the dealerships, there are more salespeople in their 60's...some of them who were previously retired and working for some extra cash.

My observation is they are much more patient and more willing to state they do not know an answer to a specific question as opposed to making up an incorrect answer. I can appreciate it when someone openly admits they don't know an answer, but will take the time to get you the correct response.

Years ago, I purchased a Toyota Avalon and the salesperson would have said the car could fly just to make a sale. A knowledgeable consumer is their worst enemy!

These days, with all the info online, just going to Edmunds.com or KBB.com, there's a world of info at our fingertips. Being an educated consumer is not that difficult these days.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I probably will look at the Jag, I had the X Type R and traded it in on the Mercedes. It looks like Jag has made allot of improvements. The Type R was fast but it after I bought it and really looked at it, it reminded me of a Ford Taurus (well Ford did own it) and for the price I really expected a true Jaguar motor. The motor was identicle to a supercharged Mustang Cobra, except it was about 40k more then the Cobrta...lol But that XF looks good, would you or do you know if it is bigger then the Lexus IS-F. The Lexus was about the size of an Altima and I need something a little bigger so people over 5' can sit in the back.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
dsjr70 said:
Do you know if it is bigger then the Lexus IS-F. The Lexus was about the size of an Altima and I need something a little bigger so people over 5' can sit in the back.
Yes, it's larger than the IS-F. The back seat room is okay if you're not hauling around basketball players. The size is one thing I like about it as it's not a small car and it's not too big. Kinda like Goldilocks and the Three Bears! If the XF was a bike, it would be like a Vision...smooth when you want it and fast when you kick it in. It has a sport-shifting mode that when used with the paddle shifters can deliver some G-force. It's fun on the Turnpike twisty exits!

I had a Vanden Plas a few years ago (before they went to the jelly bean style) and I enjoyed that car a lot. It was very smooth and much quicker that it looked. The back seat passengers loved the burled wood fold-down tray tables! (Pass the Gray Poupon please!).

When it's time to trade this car, I may try out a Lexus LS460...or whatever it will be called when that time arrives. As I get older, smoother is better. I was in one last weekend with the electrically reclining rear seats...very cool!

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
dsjr70 said:
Andy,
If you need a good utility vehicle may I recommend the Brabus G V12 S BiTurbo...
When I was at a dealer today, they also had Hummers. They are giving those things away these days. I'd get one, but the rear tailgate is too tall for my German Shepherd to jump in and out. Since I don't drive the car a lot, mileage is not that important to me. I've put about the same amount of miles on my bike as I did my car in the past year.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wish Brabus would start giving these away... It's only about 500k...lol But its over 600hp with 0-60 under 5 seconds... Just a little over the top for a off road vehicle. But seriously, I think I might short list the Audi and the Jag. I really wish I could get over my fear of the Cad's, the CTS-V was sweet, but I just had to many problems in the past.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
dsjr70 said:
I wish Brabus would start giving these away... It's only about 500k...lol But its over 600hp with 0-60 under 5 seconds... Just a little over the top for a off road vehicle. But seriously, I think I might short list the Audi and the Jag. I really wish I could get over my fear of the Cad's, the CTS-V was sweet, but I just had to many problems in the past.
For GM, I can only predict that only Cadillac and Chevy will survive. When I bought the Jag last year, I also drove the DTS. I like land yachts, but like the Lincoln, having front wheel drive on that size of a car kind of ruined it for me. Also, while there was a lot of inventory, the majority of them were the base models. I think it's safe to say that I like GADGETS!

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Andy said:
dsjr70 said:
Andy,
If you need a good utility vehicle may I recommend the Brabus G V12 S BiTurbo...
When I was at a dealer today, they also had Hummers. They are giving those things away these days. I'd get one, but the rear tailgate is too tall for my German Shepherd to jump in and out. Since I don't drive the car a lot, mileage is not that important to me. I've put about the same amount of miles on my bike as I did my car in the past year.
Looks like a Mercedes G wagon. If thats what your into, the Benz is about 410K cheaper

·
Registered
457 Posts
Clubford00 said:
Looks like a Mercedes G wagon. If thats what your into, the Benz is about 410K cheaper
Brabus and AMG are the in-house tuners of Mercedes. So it's no coincidence it looks like a G wagon, it started out as one.
From what i've heard, the 'black' series are totally from another planet...
As for GM: indeed, they're not realising it themselves today, but only Chevy and Cadillac are viable in the future.
dsjr70 said:
Basically a four door muscle car that doesnt turn well and rides like a brick.
Don't they all? ;)
Andy said:
I'd get one, but the rear tailgate is too tall for my German Shepherd to jump in and out.
For a big and healthy dog like yours? Strange :) How tall is the tailgate on a hummer? 5'? :) Get the dog a ladder ;)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.