VOG Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking a trip on the Vic to Owen Sound in Canada next month and so need an enhanced drivers license to cross the border from Michigan into Canada. I brought my birth certificate, drivers license and social security card to the Secretary of State office. After waiting for an hour I was finally called up, handed them the form they had given me along with my birth certificate and drivers license. I asked if they would like to see my social security card and I was told NO. The lady then called over another lady to do my "interview" so they would know that I'm not a terrorist. She picked up my birth certificate and looked it over asking me my mothers maiden name and my fathers middle name. This was the extent of the interview. 1 more thing, the lady that interviewed me was from the middle east and was wearing a full head scarf. I feel so much safer now!

·
Registered
423 Posts
That makes me feel safer too. I also feel much better about the Mosque at Ground Zero.

·
Registered
814 Posts

A couple of years ago when flying back into Canada from Hawaii we had to land in Vancouver before flying on to Toronto. Everyone we saw workingin the airport was wearing a turban. When we finally made it to Toronto everyone we encountered at the Toronto airport hada foriegn accent (no not Canadian). So I know what you mean.
Recently at my father's funeral I was given his father and mother's passports from when they arrived as immigrants from the Ukraine. Thinking back to those people I seen at the airports I guess we just got here before they did. I hope they work tomake this place a little bit better just like my ancestors did.
Nepper's nickel

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

bikendad said:
Taking a trip on the Vic to Owen Sound in Canada next month and so need an enhanced drivers license to cross the border from Michigan into Canada. I brought my birth certificate, drivers license and social security card to the Secretary of State office. After waiting for an hour I was finally called up, handed them the form they had given me along with my birth certificate and drivers license. I asked if they would like to see my social security card and I was told NO. The lady then called over another lady to do my "interview" so they would know that I'm not a terrorist. She picked up my birth certificate and looked it over asking me my mothers maiden name and my fathers middle name. This was the extent of the interview. 1 more thing, the lady that interviewed me was from the middle east and was wearing a full head scarf. I feel so much safer now!
Just got mine by priority post today !
I went for my " interview " last week, filled out a bunch of paperwork, no witnesses required, guess they just believed what I wrote down.
I think it's a crock of ****, $40 canadian, now I can come visit you all ;)
My other drivers licence seemed fine to me, if this really is for security, maby they need to change the procedure.
I've got nothing to hide, but they did'nt ask anyway.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
spider said:
bikendad said:
Just got mine by priority post today !
I went for my " interview " last week, filled out a bunch of paperwork, no witnesses required, guess they just believed what I wrote down.
I think it's a crock of ****, $40 canadian, now I can come visit you all ;)
My other drivers licence seemed fine to me, if this really is for security, maby they need to change the procedure.
I've got nothing to hide, but they did'nt ask anyway.
EXACTLY, they knew just as much about me with the old license and I wouldn't be out $50!

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
When I bought the Vision I knew I would be heading to Canada from time to time so when faced with the "Enhanced Drivers " or a passport I opted for Passport it cost less when you factor in it is good for ten years vs the DL wich has to be renewed every 4 years

Reactions: 009Tazman64

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

Trekwolf164 said:
When I bought the Vision I knew I would be heading to Canada from time to time so when faced with the "Enhanced Drivers " or a passport I opted for Passport it cost less when you factor in it is good for ten years vs the DL wich has to be renewed every 4 years
Canadian passports only good for 5 years.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
spider said:
Trekwolf164 said:
Canadian passports only good for 5 years.
Oh so the DL may be the better buy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.