VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Personally, after a lifetime in the new products industry, I don't remember a product that was preceded by the level of hype that Apple's iPad generated.

After watching Steve Job's presentation, the jury is still out on this one. Yes, they will most likely sell a lot of them, but it seems that it's a cross between an Amazon Kindle and an iPhone...or possibly more accurately an iPod Touch on steroids. I'm guessing that this product will be a platform for the future for Apple and that more features will be incorporated into future models. Just a hunch.

Here's Apple's promotional video on the iPad:

One problem I have with E-Books is that they cannot be used on commercial airlines until after the plane clears 10,000 feet as they fall into the category of electronic items. As we know, depending on when and where you're flying, you could be stuck on the tarmac for a while and with an E-Book, you can't use it to read a book, newspaper or magazine to pass the time. So if you're traveling with an E-Book on an airline, what do you do until you reach the "electronics-friendly" altitude? Read the SkyMall catalog?

Yes, the iPad is very cool and it raises the bar for other companies seeking to compete in this category, but for now, until more details are released, I'll keep an open mind and a closed wallet on this one. I will admit that the instant starting and the ten hour battery life are great features, but otherwise, it just seems cool, but not a necessity. However, Apple has pulled off the impossible before, so I'll reserve my full opinion until after I get some hands-on time.

The wild card on the iPad is what type of Applications are headed towards the iPad? Yes, it will work with existing iPhone applications, but I can only guess that some "killer aps" will be coming soon that could make this product more desirable.

So now it's your turn...what's your verdict on the iPad? It will start in price at $500 and start shipping in late March.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
The whole idea of my Itouch is hat is does in a "Small" space. If i want to do what this thing does, ill save my 500 bucks and carry either my laptop or my netbook. They do the same thing and more. It reminds me of those big remotes for the tv, whats the point?

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I see this as a really cool netbook. Not powerful enough to do any serious computing but to surf the web, do email, view movies or read a book it rocks.

One thing they need to address and address quickly is the feud between Jobs and Adobe. Not supporting flash media and not allowing another browser (aka FireFox) will be a MAJOR reason many who would like to have one of these (like me) will never spend the coin.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mjw930 said:
One thing they need to address and address quickly is the feud between Jobs and Adobe. Not supporting flash media and not allowing another browser (aka FireFox) will be a MAJOR reason many who would like to have one of these (like me) will never spend the coin.
Great Point!

If you look back, Apple and Adobe once had a very solid alliance. While I can't figure out why Mr. Jobs (and Apple) won't make the plunge into adding Flash into its products, I can only guess it has something to do with royalty payments. While Apple is used to getting paid by others (the App Store is a prime example), they need to bite the bullet and add Flash to the iPhone and the iPad.

And, I have to say this, the name "iPad" is a bit questionable as it sounds like a feminine hygiene product.

On a related note, I hope Apple's new product sparks an increased interest in these types of products as in a competitive environment, the consumer becomes the winner with lower prices and more bang for the buck.

While the iPad is a first generation product, within a year or two, it could be a very strong category. Personally, this is the first new Apple product in recent memory that doesn't have me reaching for my wallet and placing a pre-order.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
The one thing they have and something no one else has really copied successfully is the touch interface. Forget the name, forget the lack of flash, forget almost every other petty complaint because they pale in comparison when you see how easy, intuitive and seamless the user interface is. The product demos that show the user flipping through web pages, newspapers, photos, etc. with flicks of their fingers or swipes across the screen are simply magical.

I think about how painful I find using a laptop ON MY LAP at an airport with the crappy touch pad interface and the hinged screen just to read an email or surf the web the idea of having an iPhone I don't have to wear reading glasses is pretty compelling.

Luckily I live 70 miles from the closest Apple store so I might be able to make it through the summer without one ;)

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Andy said:
mjw930 said:
Andy said:
And, I have to say this, the name "iPad" is a bit questionable as it sounds like a feminine hygiene product.
You hit it. It sounds - well - odd - as you point out. It probably performs well. But who cares. Really. We have laptops, iPhones, Blackberry's, Droid's, iTouch's ...... it just continues onadnauseum!!! Whew!!!! Enough. I just want a Geisha girl to walk on my back! LOL!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
ddawg said:
Andy said:
mjw930 said:
Andy said:
You hit it. It sounds - well - odd - as you point out. It probably performs well. But who cares. Really. We have laptops, iPhones, Blackberry's, Droid's, iTouch's ...... it just continues onadnauseum!!! Whew!!!! Enough. I just want a Geisha girl to walk on my back! LOL!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- THERE'S AN APP. for that!!, LOL

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
mjw930 said:
I see this as a really cool netbook. Not powerful enough to do any serious computing but to surf the web, do email, view movies or read a book it rocks.
The funny thing is you can pick up a nice Netbook for about half the money !

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Clubford00 said:
mjw930 said:
The funny thing is you can pick up a nice Netbook for about half the money !
Yes, but you still have to flip it open, use the crappy touch pad and deal with marginal graphics. It's not the power or the features that will sell the iPad, it's the experience. I know there are phones that can do more than my iPhone for less money but none of them are as easy or comfortable in use. Apple sells the experience, not the technology.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Apple cultist, I just have an open mind and have gotten well past the pure technology bottleneck that constricts most techno geek's thinking. I'm an R&D engieneer/architect by trade so the technology actually bores me, I'm more into the experience at this point in my life.

Case in point, my wife has a Kindle which really is some crappy technology but it's form factor, presentation and well thought out design makes it a joy to use as a book reader, she doesn't go anywhere without it.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
I can understand that form of thinking. Since i am in the car biz i get to drive everything under the sun. When i get into a Ferrari or lambo now i just think of it as a paycheck, oh sure they are cool and fun to drive but they really are just another box with wheels to me now.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I am a self professed techy and have been a hardcore PC user/builder and Apple has slowly creeped into my world. 1st an iPhone then an iMac. Both have exceeded my expectations with features and usability that I have come to love. I live in a 3 story townhouse and having to hustle to my 3rd floor office is a PITA (despite the fact that I need the excersize.) Browsing on my iPhone is OK in a pinch but is too small for regular surfing. I have been thinking about getting a netbook to use in my living and kitchen areas. Now the iPad would change the game. I used to use a Slate PC for my job so this type of device suits me very well. I will certainly give the iPad a hard look once it's out.

(Noemitz, thanks for the iPad video clip, LMAO!)

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I don't even personally own a Ipod(have a 16gb creative zen that I've had for years). Once the hard drive fails on that not sure where I will go, probably the ipod route. The kids have an I touch which is kind of cool, and Ipod Video, and 8gb Ipod mini, an 8gb ipod Nano and the wife has a shuffle she got free from work. They're nice but other than the touch are nothing but music players. The touch while neat, is impractical for web duties unless in a bind.

My business phone is linked to US Cellular so no option of the Iphone. I've had a few blackberry's over the years but was lucky enough to avoid the coin flip at one point and go back to a normal phone breaking the "everything at my fingertips addiction". Although the new droid has peaked my interest, I've resisted the urge.

On bike trips I've got an old hp pavilion ze4900 notebook that still chugs along just fine. When it dies a netbook will likely replace it and not an ipad.

The ipad is nice but I agree it's nothing more than a touch on steroids.

Now if Google made one with it's 'open source' mentality it'd be a lot more tempting.

As someone eluded to earlier, Apple likes you to use only their or their approved apps only. I like to make my own choices.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.