VOG Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I ordered the Chrome Luggage rack with backrest yesterday from Kewlmetal. Much less expensive ($399.00)plus backrest ($185.00) and larger than the Victory option. They are backordered for 3 weeks, but I will post pics when I get it in and installed.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Must be back ordered on other things to, cause I ordered a few items about two weeks ago and still no show. Thanks for the reminder....now where did I put that number.........

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
their racks are larger than the one's available for Kingpin/Vegas models, however they're much smaller than the factory ones for the Cross Bikes. The price is better but I'm not getting anything until I see a trunk option for my Cross bikes.

I do like the kewlmetal stuff and have owned stuff of the stuff over the years but I personally don't think this setup does the Cross bikes justice.

The factory pieces are fantastic but way overpriced.

·
Registered
233 Posts

I know this post is old, but Im currious to know if anyone else ordered this set up? I got mine about a month or so ago and the back rest did not opperate as described. The item description claimed that the backrest would adjust "for a solo riderand a passenger". The funny thing is that the back rest was actually a couple inches too short to work for the solo rider.
After I received the rack and backrest and noticed there was a problem, I began looking at the pics in the advertisement, the bike showing how it worked wasnt even a Cross Bike. Guess that explains why it didnt work!
Any who, anyone looking to purchase this set-up may want to make sure they have fixed this problem.
Oh, and the method for holding the backrest is a lame set screw that is not flush with the luggage rack. So your stuck with a nice looking luggage rackthat hasa set screwsitting about a half inch above the plane of the luggage rack. Perfect for getting in the way of things you want to tie down.
Just wanted to make sure that my fellow Vic owners dont get stuck with this problem.
Travis

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, since my original post Feb 3rd I have had nothing but delays and problems with Kewlmetal.I called on the original due date (sometime in feb) and was told it had gone to chrome and would ship shortly. Then a series of weekly calls for another 3 or 4 weeks yielded the same excuse. Finally in April, I threatened to cancel the order, so it miraculously got back from chroming and got shipped. I did not have any install issues on the unit I got, so the problem must be fixed. However, there was no set screw in the package, so I called and asked customer service to send me one, they said the would. In the meantime, I asked what size the threads were so I could use something temporarily. They said 8mm so I went out and got an 8mm bolt.....too fat...wouldn't screw in, So I took the rack off and took it into the screw company and asked them to figure out what the thread size was.They took it in te back, then brought it back and sad it'sprobably 8mm, but there was metal crud in the thread and nothing would fit till I tapped it out. So I bought a decent $5.00 8mm tap, and after tapping out the hole,the bolt I bought fit, although it sticks up very high. In the meantime I never got the set screw from Kewlmetal, which I had to assume would look and fit better than the bolt I bought. So I called again and they said we'll send you one. two weeks later, still no bolt, this time I emailed and asked WTF was going on, all I wanted was a simple set screw that was left out of my shipment. They said they were definitley sending another one. That was about a week ago, still no screw. Bottom line is, the chrome luggage rack is nice, but everything else about the order, process, communication, etc has SUCKED.

·
Registered
233 Posts
so it looks like you got the back rest. Does your back rest extend out for a solo rider, Or am I the only one they screwed up on? Again, mine was about two inches short of reaching the driver sitting position. Im still pissed they didnt measure it out correctly. Seems like poor product development/research.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
while I'm not going to make excuses for Kewlmetal since they messed up a couple of my orders recently they do try and fix them and have successfully for me. You need to e-mail big joe directly ([email protected]).

Personally I think they're experiencing 'growing pains' and I'm not sure Joe even knows about it.

Just don't go over to the VMC and post anything negative about them, you'll get lambasted until the end of creation.

However I do firmly believe if you contact Joe at the e-mail address tell him your experiences and disappointments in an honest and professional way(no need to cuss up a storm or personal attacks) he'll fix all your problems with their products.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Funny thing is all the issues that everyone had I have also experienced, (wrong luggage rack sent, solo back rest bar is to short, and no set screw for the back rest.) contacted them by email and phone conversations a number of times. I'll try Joes email and maybe that will help. Keep you posted.

·
Registered
698 Posts

I ordered the Kewl Metal risers for my XR from Cruiser Customizing (CC) since they had them on sale. Ship date originally said 4/5. I decided to email Kewl Metal to make sure they were still making the risers since they didn't appear on their website anymore and they responded that they are not currently making them. I then sent an email to CC informing them of this and asked if they had any of the risers in stock or if I should cancel my order. They said they tried checking with Kewl Metal, but did not get a response. I see a pattern of poor communication and limited production issues and have a feeling I won't be getting the risers I ordered although CC says they think they will be able to make good on my order. I'll give it a few weeks and then cancel my order if needed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.