VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, this is my first post on this forum BTW.
I was sosure that a Harley would be my next bike but since these new Vics have come out, all that has changed. I currently own a Vulcan 1600 Classic but I'll probably be buying a new bike sometime this year.
I'm having the darndest time trying to make up my mind which bike would suit me best, I'm leaning towards the Cross Country since I'm now in my late forties and comfort would be a nice bonus I guess. Plus, I really like the looks of that fairing. I find that the fairing helps balance out the looks of the bike.
The rear end on this bike is huge and with the front fairing, it seems to balance out the whole looks. With only a winshiled or with windshield removed, I'm thinking that maybe it's not quite as nice. But the CR does look good and cheaper too. What's a guy to do?! 8^)
I sat on a Cross Roads at our local Victory dealership and was really impressed with the quality of the stock seat. Is this the same seat as the "touring" seat in Victory's accessories section? I wouldn't want the "low rider" seat. Is the stock seat that's on the Cross bikes this same "touring" seat or is it something different then the two seats listed in the accessories section?
I know one thing, Harley is going tofeel some heatnow that Victory is coming out with these types of bikes. Better engineered, bigger/better motor, better handling/suspension, better stock seat, etc....And quite a bit cheaper too.
In Victory's ads they say that they're $1000.00 cheaper then Harley, well Harleys are way more expensive up here in Atlantic Canada, a Street Glide goes for appx. $23,600 (CAN) and a Cross Country is appx. $20,068. Once you figure in your taxes, the Harley will probably be $4000.00 more expensive.
Thank you Victory for giving us a much more attractive option!

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
I was once in the same place you are in comparing the CC and CR. I decided that for the small price difference I was getting an awful lot more with the CC. Passenger floorboards, fairing, radio, tachometer, cruise control and probably better resale. The CR is a sweet looking bike though and at a great price.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
The question is do you want a faring and radio or a removable windshield? Only you can answer that and it really depends on what type of riding you plan on doing...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Yeah, can see that you get a lot of extras with the CC.
When I was looking at that black Cross Roads the other day, the salesman crunched some numbers and told me that a Cross Roads in midnight cherry with a passenger backrest would run me appx $18,400.00 (CAN) before taxes.
That's $2000.00 less (before taxes) then the standard Road King with cruise control that I seen at the Harley dealership earlier that day. So, the Road King would cost appx. $2400.00 more out the door then this Cross Roads.
Factor in that you get a better overall bike and even looks better then the King IMO for over $2000.00 less! Even though I was really drawn to the Harley brand, I've been given a wake-up call and have come to my senses again.
A Victory is in my sights now!
Don,
As far as the fairing vs. windshield, I think that I'd have to give the nod to the fairing at this point. Although I did manage to make things a whole lot more comfortable on my 1600 Classic by adding some windshield lowers, that made a huge difference. So I suppose doing this on the Cross Roads would be an option.
It's not just a wind issue, it's also a styling issue with that fairing and the extra creature comforts thatadd to the fun.
Primarily, I would use my Cross bike in and around town, weekend afternoon rides out in the country and the odd weekend get-away with the wife. I'd like to be in a position to take off and go on longer trips but at this point in our life, that's not in the game plan, for now anyways.
So, from what I just said, maybe the Cross Roads would make more sense for my purposes. Dang, there I go again, I'm just going in circles here! 8^)
I made a comment about balancing things out with that huge rear-end, I suppose alight-bar at the front of the Cross Roads would beef things up pretty good. That might actually look really bad-ass now that I think about it.
BTW, I should point out that I'm 6 ft. tall, 220 lbs and have adecent reach, so this bike and its handlebar feel quite comfortable and is a good fit for me overall.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Hi Humbucker and welcome to The VOG.

It seems that the consensus among those who have posted here are flocking towards the Cross Country over the Cross Roads. I'm sure that some will disagree with me, but it seems that there's a lot more bang for the buck with the XC over the XR.

Much of it the decision will depend on the type of riding you're looking for. It seems that the Cross Country is much more versatile bike in that it's good in town and on the highway. Also note, that some of the buyers of both models have opted to swap out the stock windshield for one that provides more wind coverage.

My personal feeling is that having a built-in audio system is a great feature in this day and age.

When the weather warms up in your area, be sure to take an extended test ride on both models and you'll be the judge on which one fits the type of riding you prefer.

Also, take a test ride on a Vision too!

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
advntrus said:
dsjr70 said:
The question is do you want a faring and radio or a removable windshield? Only you can answer that and it really depends on what type of riding you plan on doing...
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!....Now you're just sandbagging. Go ahead. Show him the vid. What are you afraid of?
Shawn
Okay...Here's DSJR70's take on the Cross Roads after a test ride:

Here's a Dealer's take on where the Cross Bikes fit into Victory's lineup:

And here's some FAQ's:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Hey, thanks Andy!
Yeah, I had already watched those youtube videos.
The salesman at our local Victory dealership toldme that they were having problems locating Cross Countrys, the only ones that he was bringing in were already pre-sold.
He said he had a decent amount of lattitude to discount the Cross Roads but I should have asked him if it's the same case with the Cross Country. Since the Cross Country is selling like hotcakes, maybe the dealerships are more likely to stick closer to the MSRP and not give as good a deal as they would when trying to sell you a Cross Roads? I'll have to ask the salesman the next time I'm in there.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

As for owners of the Cross Roads swapping out their windshields for taller ones, at the price that they charge for the taller windshield, you might as well just get the Cross Country.
I think that the tall windshield for the CR in Canada is $750.00, yikes!!!
At least the taller windshield for the CC is only about half that much, and maybe you wouldn't even really need it.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Humbucker said:
As for owners of the Cross Roads swapping out their windshields for taller ones, at the price that they charge for the taller windshield, you might as well just get the Cross Country.
I think that the tall windshield for the CR in Canada is $750.00, yikes!!!
At least the taller windshield for the CC is only about half that much, and maybe you wouldn't even really need it.
For replacement windshields for most Vics, check out CeeBaileys.com. A great shield at an affordable price. IMHO, much better than the stock shields.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks for that info Andy!
I'll make sure to check out those CeeBaileys windshields. I would imagine that with a good windshield and decent windshield lowers, the wind problems would be pretty much under control on the CR. I did this on my Vulcan 1600 with pretty good results.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts

dsjr70 said:
Exactly. Is music important? Is protection from wind buffeting on long rides important? If "No' - then the "CR." If "Yes" - then the X-Country.
Of course - finances area big decider. Personally - if you can do it - stretch for the"XC." 200 miles down the road & you'll be smiling & patting yourself on the back.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Tunes while riding is the best!!! Heck just get one of each!!

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Humbucker said:
Hey, thanks Andy!
Yeah, I had already watched those youtube videos.
The salesman at our local Victory dealership toldme that they were having problems locating Cross Countrys, the only ones that he was bringing in were already pre-sold.
He said he had a decent amount of lattitude to discount the Cross Roads but I should have asked him if it's the same case with the Cross Country. Since the Cross Country is selling like hotcakes, maybe the dealerships are more likely to stick closer to the MSRP and not give as good a deal as they would when trying to sell you a Cross Roads? I'll have to ask the salesman the next time I'm in there.
Well since that video came back up, I am not sure if you seen the thread that went with it. The XR is a fine bike and for the type of riding you mentioned it would fit very well. I like the fact on a hot day you can take the windshield off. Add some lowers to it and it feels like a totally different bike. Somebody mentioned the XC with the tach, the XR comes standard with a tach, you just have to cycle through the settings on the speedometer. It is not highly visible like a seperate tach but it is there.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
advntrus said:
dsjr70 said:
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!....Now you're just sandbagging. Go ahead. Show him the vid. What are you afraid of?
Shawn
Troublemaker...lol You know I do a good enough job on my own :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I'd love to get one of each of these bikes but that's not likely to happen.
As far as riding with music, I've never done it. Plus the quiet "helmet time" ain't a bad thing, just listening to the engine, pipes and wind....................
I've only been riding for two years now and my Vulcan 1600 only has a windshield and no tunes. I'd have to try it out for myself to see if I would like it but there's a side to me that's questioning if that's a good idea if it's something that distracts you while your riding. Have any of you fellows found it a little bit unsafe?
So the music, while it might be nice and I would probably really get to like it, isn't a BIG draw for me right now but I'd love to have cruise control and the dealer told me that would probably run me $700-$800 to have them install one on a Cross Roads.
So, right there, the price is creeping up on decking out a Cross Roads.
Either way, you can't go wrong with either bike, I do like the fact that you can change around the Cross Roads by removing the windshield and it's cheaper but if cruise control is a must, then the price will start getting into the price range of a Cross Country.
They're having demos here on June 15th and 16th and my wife and I will definately be there to try out both bikes, I'll have her along on the back to see what she thinks, plus she'll get to ride them for herself too, she did make one demand though, whatever bike we'd get has to be in midnight cherry. 8^)

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

Now don't forget the most important thing here...
These motorcycles are " NOT " touring motorcycles.
They are great " around town " bikes, go to the store for bread or milk, but " PLEASE " do not confuse these bikes with " REAL " touring models, you know, the " Vision " or the " Kingpin Tour "
Of course this is only my attempt at sarcastic humor :)
You can't go wrong with either choice, I prefer the wind in my face, no tunes, others prefer to be more protected from the elements, listening to their favorite music crusing on the highway.
Test ride them both, look at them side by each, two nice machines, in my mind.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

Ha!!! No, I still do stick to everything I said in the video. It is missing to many features to be considered a true touring bike by definition (not my definition). There were just a few things I didnt know about the bike when I road it. The biggest were that the lower controls are adjustable, bringing them back to me would have made it more pleasurable. The bars are still to far away for someone my height. The guages are to small for my taste but I would love that guage on my Vegas to make it look clean. I still dont like (and this goes for all Vic's except the Vision) all the cable clutter at the handlebars. For what we pay for these bikes they could route them through the bars like my Honda. Dirty air??? A ton of it in the stock form, road one with the lowers a few weeks later and it was more pleasant, combine it with a shorter shield and it might be perfect. If you are 6' it probably is perfect, unfortunetely I am short. Performance is typical for a Vic, well above average.
I still stick by "it's not for me" but I also stick by that if I had to own one Victory product it would be the XR. There is nothing on the bike that is not fixable and I really like that I can remove the windshield. ALthough the Vision is growing on me more and more each day, I may flounder on that last statement...lol
Oh, I'm not worried about going to heaven, I'm Catholic, all I have to do is go to Confession and say a few Hail Mary's and all is good...lol

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Humbucker said:
I'd love to get one of each of these bikes but that's not likely to happen.
As far as riding with music, I've never done it. Plus the quiet "helmet time" ain't a bad thing, just listening to the engine, pipes and wind....................
I've only been riding for two years now and my Vulcan 1600 only has a windshield and no tunes. I'd have to try it out for myself to see if I would like it but there's a side to me that's questioning if that's a good idea if it's something that distracts you while your riding. Have any of you fellows found it a little bit unsafe?
Like you I never road with music and always thought it was a useless option. I get on a bike to get away from everything. Then I bought the Vision and the radio hasnt been off since I got it. I dont find it distracting, I actually find it keeps me more aware. I use the XM radio and it works great on long trips to keep you from flipping and scanning for a station.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
spider said:
Now don't forget the most important thing here...
These motorcycles are " NOT " touring motorcycles.
They are great " around town " bikes, go to the store for bread or milk, but " PLEASE " do not confuse these bikes with " REAL " touring models, you know, the " Vision " or the " Kingpin Tour "
Of course this is only my attempt at sarcastic humor :)
You can't go wrong with either choice, I prefer the wind in my face, no tunes, others prefer to be more protected from the elements, listening to their favorite music crusing on the highway.
Test ride them both, look at them side by each, two nice machines, in my mind.
Ahhhh!!! Troublemaker #2, I only said the XR wasnt a touring bike, not both.... Gonna start calling you Bubba...lol

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Istill stick by "it's not for me" but I also stick by that if I had to own one Victory product it would be the XR. There is nothing on the bike that is not fixable and I really like that I can remove the windshield.
Thanks for that opinion Don. So, if you could have only one Victory motorcycle, the Cross Roads would be your pick? You obviously have a lot of experience with motorcycles, so that's a pretty darned good plug for the cross Roads!
It just seemslike there ain't a whole lot of interest out there inthe various motorcycle forums and media for the Cross Roads, it's mostly all about the Cross Country.
If I were to go with the Cross Roads, I suppose that I could be happy enough with a simple throttle lock rather then going for a real cruise control. It's just that my wrist gets cramped after an hour or two of steady riding, a throttle lock is good enough to give the wrist a quick break every now and then.
The real test is going to be on the demo rides this coming June. I can't wait!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.