VOG Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 500 miles after installing the Stage 1's I went to a set of modified pipes, the "Atom Bomb 2 1/4"". I really liked the extra sound and convinced myself the bike was running as well if not better than with the Stage 1 pipes.

Fast forward 3000 miles and a 1200 mile ride up to the Georgia mountains and back in some blistering heat and high loads (80+ mph up and through the mountains) I realized that what sounds good on main street becomes quite boring mile after mile on a long trip.

So, I swapped back the Stage 1 pipes and had a bit of an epiphany, the bike was not running right with the open pipes. In just 100 miles with the Stage 1 pipes on I noticed a smoother running bike, more willing to pull to redline with better low and midrange roll on power not to mention the ability to actually hear the radio on a setting lower than 15!

Kevinx can probably concur based on what he saw with the RPW pipes on a dyno, if you use a pipe with a more open design than the stage 1 you will need a fuel controller and even then my guess is it's iffy that you will get to the same level of midrange power the stage 1 package delivers.

For those who claim the stage 1 isn't worth the money I'm here to tell you it's worth every penny and for those who think they have a good running bike with aftermarket pipes I think I can honestly say you are fooling yourself to justify the money you spent.

The stage 1's will stay and the Atom Bombs will be for sale very shortly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
I agree... I really like the Stage 1. Sure it can be a little louder but you take away the enjoyment of listening to music while you ride. It's all about you and how you enjoy your bike not to impress everyone..WELL it maybe for some... I like to listen to music so the Stage 1 is perfect. I would like to see and test a 2 into 1 exhaust and get a little more low endor see what the numbers are and how it sound. Maybe one day they will make it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,186 Posts
I have to say I'm extremely happy with the way my stage 1 runs. Sometimes wish it was louder but it is nice to be able to hear the radio at 80 mph :).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bigmex said:
I agree... I really like the Stage 1. Sure it can be a little louder but you take away the enjoyment of listening to music while you ride. It's all about you and how you enjoy your bike not to impress everyone..WELL it maybe for some... I like to listen to music so the Stage 1 is perfect. I would like to see and test a 2 into 1 exhaust and get a little more low endor see what the numbers are and how it sound. Maybe one day they will make it.
Actually, what we currently have with he stock headpipe design is a 2 into 1 into 2. The torque benefits usually derived from a 2 into 1 are already dialed into the stock setup. At least that's IMHO :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
for anyone who thought the stage 1s were a waste of money...keep me in mind I will be looking for a discounted set this fall. They are quiet enough to pass the new 'road noise' law and still sound great. Of course I will probably pulled over playing my country music too loud....lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
My stage one pipes are just right for what I want out of the bike. It runs well, it's not too loud to hear the music, and those loud pipes can be very irritating on a long ride. Sorry INFIDEL, you can't have mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts

NFIDEL said:
for anyone who thought the stage 1s were a waste of money...keep me in mind I will be looking for a discounted set this fall. They are quiet enough to pass the new 'road noise' law and still sound great. Of course I will probably pulled over playing my country music too loud....lol
You probably should be!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,186 Posts
elooker said:
My stage one pipes are just right for what I want out of the bike. It runs well, it's not too loud to hear the music, and those loud pipes can be very irritating on a long ride. Sorry INFIDEL, you can't have mine.
+1, another happy stage 1 owner here :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,078 Posts

Not a surprised by your results..
Stage 1 pipeswith theuse ofa stage 1 download is most likely the best combo. I would expect that your Atombombs were too free flowing for the amount of fuel (not enough)you were adding with onlythe stage 1 download.
Atombomb owners should stay with the stock download and add fuel with the VFCIII or a PWC. I can tell you that this setup is no slouch. The VFCIII is alsoa nice way to go in preparation for the mighty VM1 Cams!!
WW
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
"wjw930" Thanks much for your post. It was exactly the kind of information I was looking for before deciding to get Stage 1 or Atoms for my Cross Country. I had 'em on my Kingpin and am again going to now get them on my XC. "elooker" - That's quite an outstanding collection you have there with the Victory and assortment of incredible Italian motorbikes! I also own a Moto Guzzi; a V11 Sport. Seriously thought about a Stelvio but it didn't fit right for the wife and I two up. Gotta love the sporty Italian bikes for zipping around the city and the crazy comfortable Victory for the open country roads, eh?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,500 Posts
I will keep my RPW's. Like them!
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top