VOG Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both my front and rear tires are nearing their maximum tread already and I only have 7,500 miles on them. I am not burning rubber or anything wacky (except yeah it is Arizona sun!). But this seems ridiculous to have to replace your tires "with every other oil change". Anyone else have this same experience?

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

Funny, we were having this conversation yesterday and I told someone that I am happy when I get over 7000 miles out of a set of tires. I used to average about 3500 on my sportbikes.

·
Registered
59 Posts

My Hammer has 13,750 miles and my second set of Dunlop EliteIII tires are done! Well actually the front may have few miles left but the rear is bad. I don't drive crazy or too aggresive. Sounds pretty normal for most states. Only exception is FLA. Sounds like the guys get almost double.
I'm going to switch to Metzlers this month and give them a try.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Getting a flat tire on a car is a pain.

Having a flat tire on a bike is another story...especially if it occurs at speed. I tend to stay on the side of caution and replace the tires sooner than later.

It would be nice to see future models incorporate air sensors that display the air pressure on the gauge cluster as riding with the incorrect pressure not only affects handling, but can shorten tire life as well.

On a related note, has anyone tried Nitrous on bike tires? I use it in my car's tires and they seems to maintain air pressure more consistently and wear more evenly.

·
Registered
609 Posts
My buddy has a 240 on his bike and he can't even get 9000km (5600 miles) on his. By contrast, my business partner's chopper has 10000km (6200 miles) on his 280 Metzeler and they're more than 50% left.

·
Registered
326 Posts

Run your tire pressures on the higher of the two recommendations and that seems to help with extendingwear. On my 04 Vegas, 07 Jackpot, and 07 Hammer, they each listed 2 sets of recommended tire pressures based on rider/passenger weight.
I've consistantly gotten better miliage running the higher recommendation. On these bikes it was 38 front and 41 rear that I run. Check your owners manual for yours but it's probably the same for all the Vegas, Kingpin, Hammer, Jackpots, not sure of the Visions and the new CR/CC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.