VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

3 weeks ago today I was in a rough one. In evening rush hour traffic, on city streets, going my normal route home, a car pulled out from a parking lot, between stopped lanes of traffic. I struck the car at 40ish MPH.

I actually didn't even see the car as it was concealed by the stopped cars in the right 2 lanes. Truthfully, I idn't realize what was happening until I was in the air. By then it was "OH F$#@", I hit the ground and was consumed by pain.

I never lost consciousness or suffered any head trauma (thank goodness), but I did get my ass kicked.
-broken left foot
-broken left pelvis
-lots of trauma to soft tissue on left left
-not broken but mass trauma to left hand
-spider web of micro-fractures in my right pelvis
-micro-fractures in 2 vertebrae
-mild road rash on my left leg

I was wearing a full face helmet, leather gloves, steel toe boots, 501's and a Levi's denim shirt, no jacket tho (temp was 105).

They pinned my left pelvis back together with 2 screws on 8/12. During the surgery I iintubated what they think was stomach acid and contracted pneumonia. Which meant 2 days in ICU on a respirator...super fun. I'm not one to take things lying down, so 2 day after that I was up and moving around with assistance. Funny but my biggest motivation to get up at that point was to not have to use a bed pan.

Insistence to get up proved positive. 7 days after the crash, they kicked me out of the regular hospital and sent me to a rehab facility. With a walker (and a very concerned wife), I walked from my bed to the gurney that was used to transport me across town.

Inpatient rehab is an interesting collection of people. About 75% have a long road of recovery ahead, 20% will never leave until they go to long term care and 5% are like me, short term. Day 1, I saw a therapist and we set up short term and long term goals. I also got the 1st actual shower since the Friday of the crash...best day ever.

Any-who...

I've rambled on enough. So to sum up, I'm home, on the mend and doing 2 sessions of outpatient rehab twice a week. Every day I'm getting stronger. My goal is to be walking unassisted by 9/30.

Sadly, my incredible bike is a total loss.

Now I'm just a Harley owner (tear forms in the corner of my eye). When I'm back to being able to ride, I'll be looking for another Vic.

-Scott

·
Super Moderator
26,095 Posts
I'm sure that will buff out. Lol!

Kidding aside I'm glad you're still with us and have a great attitude. You'll be back in the saddle in no time. I've been injured since last October but at least I've been able to ride. I'm not sure what I'd do if I couldn't. It's had enough I haven't been able to fish.

Keep us posted and kick arse!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thank God you lived to ride again...eventually. I work in an acute rehab unit, and I've treated quite a few bikers in my day. Glad to see you're on the road to recovery. Hard work and a positive will get you far.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
dogomut, sorry for your accident/major Bummer, I high sided in 1980 and was on crutches for 5 months, when,(not if) you go looking for another Vic, look no further than the Victory of Mesa shop, they'll have new vic inventory for a year, and good deals too, good luck and hope you heal fast.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Ouch. Most importantly you will live to see and/or ride another day. Best of luck in your recovery. Bikes can be replaced people can't be.

·
Registered
17,909 Posts
Hello all,

3 weeks ago today I was in a rough one. In evening rush hour traffic, on city streets, going my normal route home, a car pulled out from a parking lot, between stopped lanes of traffic. I struck the car at 40ish MPH.

I actually didn't even see the car as it was concealed by the stopped cars in the right 2 lanes. Truthfully, I idn't realize what was happening until I was in the air. By then it was "OH F$#@", I hit the ground and was consumed by pain.

I never lost consciousness or suffered any head trauma (thank goodness), but I did get my ass kicked.
-broken left foot
-broken left pelvis

I was wearing a full face helmet, leather gloves, steel toe boots, 501's and a Levi's denim shirt, no jacket tho (temp was 105).

They pinned my left pelvis back together with 2 screws on 8/12. During the surgery I iintubated what they think was stomach acid and contracted pneumonia. Which meant 2 days in ICU on a respirator...super fun. I'm not one to take things lying down, so 2 day after that I was up and moving around with assistance. Funny but my biggest motivation to get up at that point was to not have to use a bed pan.

Insistence to get up proved positive. 7 days after the crash, they kicked me out of the regular hospital and sent me to a rehab facility. With a walker (and a very concerned wife), I walked from my bed to the gurney that was used to transport me across town.

Inpatient rehab is an interesting collection of people. About 75% have a long road of recovery ahead, 20% will never leave until they go to long term care and 5% are like me, short term. Day 1, I saw a therapist and we set up short term and long term goals. I also got the 1st actual shower since the Friday of the crash...best day ever.

Any-who...

I've rambled on enough. So to sum up, I'm home, on the mend and doing 2 sessions of outpatient rehab twice a week. Every day I'm getting stronger. My goal is to be walking unassisted by 9/30.

Now I'm just a Harley owner (tear forms in the corner of my eye). When I'm back to being able to ride, I'll be looking for another Vic.

-Scott
Glad you are around to tell us the tale. There are a few Victorys still out there waiting for your return and just get well first...

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Hello all,

-broken left foot
-broken left pelvis

Any-who...

-Scott
thanks for sharing dog, its not all peaches and cream out there and a good dose of reality goes a long way. one of my boys has a titanium rod from his knee to his ankle from a bike accident and he said physical therapy was the best thing since sliced bread, some people try to recover on their own ( like me ) and that doesn't pan out so well at times. wishing you a speedy recovery, and yes a bed pan would motivate the sh!t out of me too,lol. feel free to ramble on any time !

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
Tough. But sound like you might be taking a tougher attitude. Good for you! Still, sorry about your unscheduled dismount, and all the troubles surrounding it. Glad to hear you are and will heal.

Too bad about the bike, but that's the easier part of this, right?! So, is mr./mrs. idiot paying for all of this? Their fault. Wife had a kid cut across traffic and instead of looking, just plowed ahead across about three lanes. She's in the last, and moving about 20ish. She broadsides him and when the cops show up he's all hollering it's her fault. Guess again, Jr. When you're cutting across traffic, if it happens, you caused it. He got the ticket and the bill.

So, a prayer for healing, and continued health. Hate to see a fellow rider go down, love to see em get back up.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Real soon you will be back in the saddle, maybe a Gunner this time around.
Stories for the Grand kids & you'll be there to tell them.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Great spirit dogonmut! I was injured 27 years ago and still fighting it. Rehab is extremely important. I've deloped my own system geared to my exact needs. Dealing with them, bow into trouble, is just the best attitude. Took years before I could ride again. But I do and so will you. Keep that attitude, workouts and love for living and riding. Bikes will always be around. Keep it up. You're in my prayers... Heal well brother...

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Glad your injurys weren't any worst then what you already have to deal with. And full recovery is coming your way. Although I've been there several times therapy does suck but believe me don't buck the system do as they say it really does work. Glad your still with us good luck on the healing hope it comes quickly. You can always shop while your healing !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow, I had an accident many years ago almost exact same scenario and speed. I managed to escape without breaking anything but the flying superman landing sure hurt for a long time. Looks like your apes took a beating and may have contributed to your injuries. Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
Sometimes it's better to fly than splat and die. :hat1:
Glad you made it, and when you get your new Vic make it count! Getting to be less of them!

·
Registered
369 Posts
I like your attitude; that'll promote your healing and recovery faster than all the good care you get from doctors and therapists. There'll be tough days, but your attitude will get you through and you'll be back in no time.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Glad your still on the right side of the grass man, good luck with the rehab. Mine is going good (rear ended aug. 25) .At last mine is fixable, sorry about yours , good luck man.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Ouch that hurt just reading about it...
heal fast man.
I see this all the time. Multiple lanes of traffic and someone turning left.
One guy stops to let the guy turn left and the guy drives out into moving trafic in the other lane.
People are beyond stupid for the most part. Just because one lane stopped to let the guy go doesn't mean the next lane of traffic has stopped. As you know first hand.
I wish people would not stop to let people go on multiple lane roads. Because most are to stupid to check if it's safe to proceed into or across the next lane....
A total DUMB ASS that pulled across your lane....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Looks like we ran into some issues. Please come back and try again later