Ok, Ok, I will quit lurking... if I have to I guess.... | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Ok, Ok, I will quit lurking... if I have to I guess....

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by KDepp, Sep 19, 2013.

1. KDepp

KDepp New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2013 XCT Sunset Red
    Ok, some background is in order.

Spring of 2012 I took the msf course. I had wanted a bike since I was a kid but was too poor and then by the time I could afford something I was married and she was against it. Long story short I wore her down and got my endorsement.

Bike 1
    Had to work quick on this one before momma changed her mind. Had ridden a street glide before and loved it. Knew I wanted a bagger but I am a researcher to the point of ocd. Found vic, liked it and settled on a xc. Trouble was I couldnt find a used one and had to work quick. Found a nice 06 flhx locally. Less than 4k miles. Best part (I thought) it had s&s 106 stroker, mikuni carbs 495 cams rhineharts and oh yeah nitrous. Bought it, had a ball scaring myself silly then found the downside. Heavy clutch, lots of leaks, in short found why the twin cam isnt worth trying tk make 100 horse. I farm and hated having to maintain allthat equipment plus work on that bike constantly.

Bike 2
    Voltage regulator went out "in town" and limped it into the vic dealer. You know the one I didnt buy a bike from. They treated me like family, diagnosedmthe voltage regulator and put my battery on a charger so I could make it home. For free. Also offered to push any bike off the showroom floor for me to 3ide while I waited. So I put 120 miles on 2 new bikes each that afternon. Loved the xr classic le I rode. 3 weeks later I bought it. Bye bye street glide. Loved the new bike to death and rode it 4000 miles in a couple of months.

Bike 3
    Bear with me.
    January 2013
    I am working my other full time job as a professional firefighter. Routine house fire. Almost done with the house and part of the house collapses. On me. Had two thoughts. One is I am always so dang careful and now something is falling on me. Other was wow my knee just went pop. Next thing I know I am trapped. I can move my head left and right bit thats it. Cant look up, cant move. After several guys come and dig me out I seemed ok. Nope. After several knee dislocations over the next few months they decide I need reconstructive knee surgery. Crap. Basically no riding for 2013. Or working. Pr pretty much anything.
    Anyway I decided to treat myself to a new bike when I could ride again. I loved my xr but missed the fairing and stereo of the flhx. So I put a deposit on a chieftan monday morning after the sturgis reveal. For the sake of making a long post slightly less long I changed my mind and bought a xct this week instead. Cant wait for the ok to start riding again.

You all dont know it but all my reading here helped in both my vic purchases. So thank you all and I look forward to contributing now.

2. KDepp

KDepp New Member

2013 XCT Sunset Red

P.S. Sorry for the huge post.

3. jdelliott

jdelliott Member

2004 Victory Kingpin

No need to apologize for the long post - I enjoy reading about how people came to vic. I hope you heal quickly, and am glad you made it out of that situation alive.
    When you do get back on, keep the shiny side up!

4. jgolden

jgolden Member

2009 Vegas 8 ball

Well, our stories mirrored each other until the end of the first paragraph..."endorsement"

My wife wasn't happy until I told her that my painting was going to pay for it entirely.If I couldn't payfor it, it would go. I actually thinkshewasastonished that I actually received the financing! Ha! Started with an '09 Vegas8ball and stuck with it.

Healup!

• Like Like x 1
  5. SuicideCharley

SuicideCharley Member

2013 JUDGE (Nuclear baby)

You lost me at "...some background is in order." HAHA, just kidding grat story. Sorry to hear about being laid up with the knee surgery but it won't be long. How tough is it to sit and stare at a bike you can't ride?! I'd probably have to keep somehwere else for fear of trying to mount up.

6. jgolden

jgolden Member

2009 Vegas 8 ball

Well, our stories mirrored each other until the end of the first paragraph..."endorsement"

My wife wasn't happy until I told her that my painting was going to pay for it entirely. If I couldn't pay for it, it would go. I actually think she was astonished that I actually received the financing! Ha! Started with an '09 Vegas 8ball and stuck with it.

Heal up!

7. alby1600

alby1600 Member

2012cross country touring

congrats on the new ride and good choice BTW,,,lol,the good part of the cct your riding season gets extended by a few months,you are so well sheltered on these bikes plus the heated seats and grips...........beautiful thing. [​IMG]

8. wcato3

wcato3 Well-Known Member

2010 cross roads

Welcome from southern Kentucky

9. KDepp

KDepp New Member

2013 XCT Sunset Red

Dealer is actually keeping it at his shop until I am cleared to ride again. I was worried about the temptation.

10. KDepp

KDepp New Member

2013 XCT Sunset Red

I am hoping to at least get my 500 miles of break Iin this late this fall. Looking forward to the heated stuff for sure. Was actually more excited about that than the trunk and lowers.

11. Oldman47

Oldman47 Well-Known Member

2013 black Vision

Welcome to the forum.
    Stay on top of your physical therapy and get in your fall riding once you get released.
    Unless you are way north near Chicago you will find riding days every month of the year. I am in central Illinois and find I can ride several days in both December and January every year. The rest of the year is no challenge at all.

12. 8_Ball_Joe

8_Ball_Joe Active Member

8 Ball Kingpin 2008

Howdy from Texas heal up and let's ride...Sorry to here about your knee

13. KDepp

KDepp New Member

2013 XCT Sunset Red

Thanks for all the replies. Oldman I actually live 30 miles west of peoria so I am in central Illinois also. I still think I will get my miles in. Guess we'll see.

14. marty

marty Well-Known Member

Vision 8 Ball/2010..blacked out pipes&wind screen,Traxxion Dynamics suspension,Lloyd's cams,controller,intake plate
    Nice intro Welcome aboard

15. Pointman

Pointman Active Member

2020 Road Glide Limited, Stiletto Red, Screaming Eagle intake & Rinehart mufflers || 2012 Cross Country Tour, Sunset Red with Bassani black ceramics.

No doubt!

Heal quick, but proper! No point in doing this more than once!

And - welcome from Indiana!