OK, it's been a week - more questions | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

OK, it's been a week - more questions

Discussion in 'Victory Vision' started by Smokier104, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Smokier104

Smokier104 Active Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    '14 Cross County Tour
    Greetings,

Have had the Vision for a week now. LOVE this bike! Managed to put 1500 miles on her already. However, do have a couple of questions.

1: Have noticed that the engine seems to RATTLE in the top end after riding awhile. Like thin oil, or like loose rockers might sound, or ...?
    Is this just a symptom of needing an oil change? Too thin of an oil?

2: There is a 'whining' down low and front during decel. Pull the clutch and it immediately disappears. It seems "normal" and consistent. Not thinking anything is wrong here, just trying to figure out what it is? Gear lash? Some type of blow-off or pressure relief?

3: @VicVisionBulldog mentioned it: Going slow during fuel fill-up is a must. Did a fast fill-up and was surprised when less than twenty miles later was already off of the FULL mark. Question: Do YOU rock the bike during fill-up or just go slow?

4: If the stereo is MUTED, then the bike turned off, the radio is OFF the next time the bike is started? This is an observation looking for confirmation.

5: Inside the lid of the TRUNK seems like a great place for a cargo net - document holder. I swear I've searched, but haven't found anything. I must be searching using the wrong words. Is there such a thing and what are they called?

Thank you in advance.

Ride safe,
    Smokier

2. ByteN2it

ByteN2it Well-Known Member

'99 V92C & '09 Vision
    1-Could be your trunk? They're known to rattle
    2-Torque compensater, sounds normal
    3-Both
    4-Who cares?
    5-There were net kits for the side bags but not the tour pack-would be easier to make your own as I doubt ypu'll find anything specifically made to fit our bikes.
    Have fun riding-here's one of my Vision tips- scroll through the radio setting & max out the bass, treble, & auto volume settings. Turn up the tunes and a lot of those annoying sounds just disappear in the wind :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. rdeerx

rdeerx Active Member

2015 Victory Cross Country Tour
    #5- I have used pencil bag holders that school kids use. Walmart is a good source.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ByteN2it

ByteN2it Well-Known Member

'99 V92C & '09 Vision
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    1: Have noticed that the engine seems to RATTLE in the top end after riding awhile. Like thin oil, or like loose rockers might sound, or ...?
    Is this just a symptom of needing an oil change? Too thin of an oil?

As long as your oil level is right and it's the correct oil you should be good. Vic motors have their own sound and it takes some getting used to.

2: There is a 'whining' down low and front during decel. Pull the clutch and it immediately disappears. It seems "normal" and consistent. Not thinking anything is wrong here, just trying to figure out what it is? Gear lash? Some type of blow-off or pressure relief?

Could be as mentioned above or the pulley is whining. That's very common in the Vision. My 13 has done it is entire life. Only fix I've seen is replacing the pulley but I haven't as I can't hear it unless my stereo is off and I'm riding next to a wall.

3: @VicVisionBulldog mentioned it: Going slow during fuel fill-up is a must. Did a fast fill-up and was surprised when less than twenty miles later was already off of the FULL mark. Question: Do YOU rock the bike during fill-up or just go slow?

Just a bit. I usually keep a foot on the board and slightly shake it. This seems to help burp it. Still go slow.

4: If the stereo is MUTED, then the bike turned off, the radio is OFF the next time the bike is started? This is an observation looking for confirmation.

Not sure. I'll have to try it.

5: Inside the lid of the TRUNK seems like a great place for a cargo net - document holder. I swear I've searched, but haven't found anything. I must be searching using the wrong words. Is there such a thing and what are they called?

There were two things I an aware of as accessories. One was a carpet mat for the truck and the other was a pouch that went just inside the trunk in the wall with the power port in it. The mat should be available but the other I haven't seen in a good while. It was nothing special, just to pickets I believe.

I have the mat and like it. Dresses the trunk up well and keeps things from sliding around.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    #1 does this happen under load? Could be pinging? Are you running 91 octane fuel?

#3 if the low fuel light comes on while riding (180-90 miles) you should get at least 5 gallons at 200 miles. I got 5.9 in her recently.

#4 I never know what my radio will be on when I start it up. On, off, AUX...

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. kwivrme

kwivrme Active Member

2011 Victory Vision Tour, 2014 Ducati Diavel
    Hello, You can try Witchdoctors Victory parts. They have a trunk organizer tray that would come in handy for you. Also they have a lot of other products you might like...

8. Smokier104

Smokier104 Active Member

'14 Cross County Tour
    Greetings All,
    Thanks for the responses, very informative and helpful.
    It is probably the VIC sound, and am still getting accustomed to it. Did the 5K Oil with Rotella T6 15w40 and a WIX. No miles since.
    Do not believe it is PINGING, and yes running 91 Oct without Ethanol (as much as possible on the no E).

OK, just curious as to what it might be. Again, don't think there is a problem, just trying classify the sound and file in my head as 'normal'.

Ride safe,
    Smokier

9. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    91 octane without crapanol? Lucky bloke...

Noticed an occasional rattle on start-up, if not straight up and they are a noisy engine and the oil plays a role. Waiting for the oil pros to show up as soon as the see the “O” word, and alot of good observations in reference to the subject...

They are awesome engines with little issue and get better with age, how many total miles?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Smokier104

Smokier104 Active Member

'14 Cross County Tour
    Greetings,

Just did the 5k service (4988 miles).

Ride safe,
    Smokier

11. FoFo

FoFo Well-Known Member

2010 Victory Cross Roads
    Similar symptoms from belt being too tight. Check when cold.

12. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    Baby cycle still, you as well and got better after 10K miles. Either I got used to her or her to me...

13. YENRABSRIDE

YENRABSRIDE Well-Known Member

2013 VISION TOUR, 2013 TRIUMPH SPEED TRIPLE, 2015 YAMAHA FJR1300ES, 2015 KAWASAKI ZX14R, 2016 KTM 1190 ADV, and 2019 TRIUMPH SCRAMBLER 1200XC
    The first time I rode with a half-helmet in Sturgis in 2015, I realized that all the mechanical ruckus was coming from my Vision. Apparently the Vic 106 makes a lot of mechanical noise, along with the whining sound of the belt drive. The Vision is my only bike I have to get off in order to fill up the tank since I do have to rock the bike back and forth to fill the tank. Something about filling the left side of the tank and then the right side. Having the Vision for almost 6 years now, and I still get strange looks and questions. Still running like a champ!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1