I had lots of the questions too when I bought my '08 Vision last year. Here's my data point, maybe it will help.Some of you guys have had years to figure all these mods out and I am grateful to you. I have been reading many of the threads here and am considering a few myself. First, let me say that I am not unhappy with my bike or the power or the comfort and in fact I am pretty darned impressed. But if I can make it a little better for not a lot of coin then let the modds begin.
1. Don't want to change my muffler. (Stock) I am happy at my current db level
2. Will consider Timing wheel--- For a 1-4 % gain in power is it worth it?
3. Will consider Fuel tuner if needed. Bike runs fine without it I think. Engine does get a little buzzy above 3k rpm
My V-rod ran so lean the engine stalled at 3k rpm, Fuel tuner fixed that.
4. Should I disconnect my O2 sensors?
5. Does the muffler matter with these mods and will I need higher octane and I know I will loose mileage with the tuner but what about the timing wheel?
6. Is there any reason not to do the quarter turn throttle ring?
I have a 2011 Vision, I think the 2011 is the same as the 2012. Not sure now because the service manual is for 2012 and up????
It had the Victory S1L2 pipes, paper front filter, and what we assumed to be the factory flash for the pipes. The Vic Shop put in a Ness top filter (Lloyds out of stock at the time), 1/4 turn ring, replaced the IAC hoses, and tuned it with a Maximus.
I was not unhappy with the bike's ability to motivate itself before the tune but it was a very different experience after. Smoother throttle response and the engine spoiled up faster. I averaged about 37mpg over approximately 6k miles on this setup.
I think I attached the dyno sheet.