OK, hear come the same old Mod questions (LLoydz timing wheel) (Fuel tuner) | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

OK, hear come the same old Mod questions (LLoydz timing wheel) (Fuel tuner)

Discussion in 'Victory Vision' started by Deltaflash, May 7, 2018.

1. Deltaflash

Deltaflash Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Vision, Vrod, Vstrom
    Some of you guys have had years to figure all these mods out and I am grateful to you. I have been reading many of the threads here and am considering a few myself. First, let me say that I am not unhappy with my bike or the power or the comfort and in fact I am pretty darned impressed. But if I can make it a little better for not a lot of coin then let the modds begin.

1. Don't want to change my muffler. (Stock) I am happy at my current db level

2. Will consider Timing wheel--- For a 1-4 % gain in power is it worth it?

3. Will consider Fuel tuner if needed. Bike runs fine without it I think. Engine does get a little buzzy above 3k rpm
    My V-rod ran so lean the engine stalled at 3k rpm, Fuel tuner fixed that.

4. Should I disconnect my O2 sensors?

5. Does the muffler matter with these mods and will I need higher octane and I know I will loose mileage with the tuner but what about the timing wheel?

6. Is there any reason not to do the quarter turn throttle ring?

I have a 2011 Vision, I think the 2011 is the same as the 2012. Not sure now because the service manual is for 2012 and up????

Thanks

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Azvestor

Azvestor Member

2017 Victory Octane, 2012 Victory Vision
    I own a 2012 Vision. My suggestions are as follows:

1. Don't want to change my muffler. (Stock) I am happy at my current db level

I felt the same way and for that reason did not change my pipes.

2. Will consider Timing wheel--- For a 1-4 % gain in power is it worth it?

Don't bother for the reasons set forth below.

3. Will consider Fuel tuner if needed. Bike runs fine without it I think. Engine does get a little buzzy above 3k rpm
    My V-rod ran so lean the engine stalled at 3k rpm, Fuel tuner fixed that.

Strongly recommend the Maximus Tuner. My recollection is I paid about $375.00 for the tuner, and about the same for the tune about 9 month ago. It was all done remotely so I didn't even have to take it to the shop. Ryan at 801 MotoWorx did everything. 801motoworx.com. You will need to purchase the Lloydz upper air filter to maximize your gains, but 801 MotoWorx can sell you that as well. The timing wheel is not required as the Maximus can make adjustments all the way down to 500 rpm. I thought my bike ran great until I had the modified tune installed. Now it is much smoother at all rpm's, but particularly in the lower rpm's, pulls stronger and generally is just a lot more enjoyable to ride.

4. Should I disconnect my O2 sensors?

No. The O2 sensor outputs are utilized by the Maximus to control air fuel ratios.

5. Does the muffler matter with these mods and will I need higher octane and I know I will loose mileage with the tuner but what about the timing wheel?

I didn't change my mufflers and mine runs great. It was suggested that I use 89 rather than 87 octane. My mileage did increase a little.

6. Is there any reason not to do the quarter turn throttle ring?

I had it on my bike initially but I found it difficult to finely adjust the throttle when driving at slow speeds through a parking lot, or when reducing throttle to maintain momentum but not increase my speed. It seemed the throttle was either on or off - no middle ground. Resulted in a lot of surge. Admittedly things may be different now that I have the Maximus tuner.

I have a 2011 Vision, I think the 2011 is the same as the 2012. Not sure now because the service manual is for 2012 and up?

If it sounds like I'm banging the drum for Maximus and 801 MotoWorx I am. I was completely satisfied with the entire process, and Ryan is a great guy to work with.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. mobear66

mobear66 Well-Known Member

Victory XC FCP
    Ok I will take my turn in the rabbit hole. IMHO #1 you can keep your stock pipes, I did but I took out the baffles cuz I don't want a jetsons bike. #2 its not really about power gain as much as it is about low end launch and more so the lugging at slow speeds that it helps control. It only helps uop to 2500 rpm if I remember correctly. #3 If your going to keep stock no you don't need a tuner. If you change your air filter (recommended) and another thing like exhaust or cams you will need one. #4 is a subject of great debate my personal opinion is un plug them bike runs a lil richer. #5 I only run 91 or better stock or modified just my preference on my bike. You will not loose mileage unless you big cam it up and ride like an asshole or me whichever you choose to call it. #6 is worth the 25 or so bucks it will make that throttle and response seem smoother and helps with cruise control.

Lastly for $400 you can get the maximus tuner or dynojet power vision which will take the place of something like the timing wheel and will allow for tuning along the way as you add upgrades like cams and air filters. Most of us use the older set ups cuz its what was available but that has changed and it can be done now without the loop around the ECU.

• Like Like x 1
  4. wvrider1

wvrider1 Well-Known Member

Goldmist/Black 14 XCT
    If you are happy with the mufflers, keep them. If I was starting fresh I would get a Maximus as well, no need for timing wheel as it does it through the ECM. A stock Victory will benefit from some kind of fuel tuner. They run lean. Might consider air filters, a UD pulley, and I love my 1/4 turn ring. YMMV

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. vision_nut

vision_nut Moderator Staff Member Moderator

vision 08
    Timing wheel is great for riding two up. Best performance up grade for the money.

No need to change mufflers.

1/4 turn just means you don't have to twist throttle so far to get up to 60 70 miles a hour.

Disconnecting the 02's will richen up the fuel and give you more power. Its worth it

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Poseidon

Poseidon Well-Known Member

2016 Victory Magnum 2013 Suzuki M109R.... 2017 Kawasaki Concours
    I have a slightly different opinion than everyone else. Personally, I would say just keep it stock with what it seems you are wanting. Once you start down the performance upgrade path, you are going to want the next item on the list. If you are going to do the upgrades, do them all at once and save some money. There is a very good recipe for Vision performance posted in several locations on this site. Just follow that recipe and you will be extremely happy. It will require a change of exhaust, but something like the wrapped D&D's or the Tri-ovals are not that loud. There may be some others that get recommended by other members as well.

Just to run down your list...
    Intake - no point if you are not changing exhaust tuning and / or cams.
    Tuning - no point if you are not doing the above and don't have an issue with the heat from the motor.
    Timing wheel - No point if you go with the Maximus tuner
    O2 sensors - again, if heat is not an issue and you are not doing anything else, why bother.
    1/4 turn throttle - If you currently feel like a kid on a 1980's motocross bike at the starting line with your right elbow pointed to the sky so you can then point it to the ground for a full throttle launch, get the ring!!! if that doesn't describe you and you are more interested in fine throttle control at slow parking lot speeds, don't get it. You won't like it! :fie:

If you do want more power, get the Lloydz cams, Lloydz intake, Maximus tuner, or PCV with timing wheel, 804 Motorsports K&N front filter, One of the slip on pipes I mentioned above, or another pipe that will flow the exhaust enough to keep up with the intake and cams, Have it Dyno tuned, and be completely amazed at the transformation your bike has made!!! Oh, and if you do all that, get the 1/4 turn throttle ring so you can enjoy all that power with a shorter twist of the throttle! :hihi:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    I feel the Lloyd's top filter and the Maximus stage one tune download will be money well spent.

Doing just that on my XC feels better (butt Dyno) than my Vision with a PC-V, timing wheel, top filter and Dyno tune.

@TechnoSupport can walk you through the process or you can contact 801 MotoWorx for product and tune as stated earlier.

• Like Like x 1
  8. md2420

md2420 Well-Known Member

2014 Vision
    @Poseidon i agree with all of your points and advice except for the exhaust. Everything I’ve read on this forum and feedback from the gurus says that the stock Vision exhaust is not a restriction when adding more power.

Sounds to me like the OP likes his quiet exhaust and he can add all of those power options (including cams) without the stock pipes getting in the way of performance.

@Oldman47 has a pretty good setup with his stock exhaust and it makes quite decent power without cams.

The only thing I would say though is I’d try the Maximus over the PCV & wheel. Many of us already had the PCV, wheel or both prior to the Maximus coming on the market.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. bikendad

bikendad Well-Known Member

2010 Victory Cross Country
    Here's my 2 cents. Get a Lloydz top filter. Also get the Maximus tuner and load their stage 1 tune, no timing gear needed. Leave the O2's connected if you go with a Maximus. Yes you want the 1/4 turn throttle, one of the best mods I've done.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. BoilerMan

BoilerMan Well-Known Member

2020 Harley FLHCS 114.
    If I was starting fresh I would go with the Maximus Tuner and a tune along with a Lloydz top air filter and a 801 motorworx front filter with bracket. The 1/4 turn ring is cheap enough that if you try it and don't like it it's not that big a deal. Vision stock exhaust seems to work well, so if you like it keep it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. ScabbyDoo

ScabbyDoo Active Member

2014 CrossCountry
    Adding a PVcx to my CC but having it dynoed rather than do canned maps and adjustments. This will not be for a stock bike but one with a Stage-1. Additional info and tune follow-up can be viewed HERE

• Like Like x 2
  12. Okie with a Vision

Okie with a Vision Active Member

2013 Vision
    To each his own as far as boosting the engine.. One thing is I have the big Honkers on and will change them out to stock for any long rides and back to Honkers for in state riding. Why run the risk of getting stopped in another state cuz I'm makin too much racket!!! I don't have the quarter turn ring and was wondering if I would even like it. reading here has helped me make my mind up. NAH, I can do without it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Deltaflash

Deltaflash Well-Known Member

Vision, Vrod, Vstrom
    I want to thank everybody for their input. There are a lot of different ways to go and I will consider all of them. Lots of good knowledge on this forum. I will let you guys know what I go with. Thanks a bunch

• Like Like x 2
  14. NOEMTZ

NOEMTZ Well-Known Member

Victory & Indian
    Can help with the Maximus, complete tune or simple "stage 1" ECU flash and lloydz top filter if needed. ph. 832-473-2959
    www.noemtz.com

• Like Like x 2
  15. igotdart

igotdart Member

2008 Vision
    I had lots of the questions too when I bought my '08 Vision last year. Here's my data point, maybe it will help.

It had the Victory S1L2 pipes, paper front filter, and what we assumed to be the factory flash for the pipes. The Vic Shop put in a Ness top filter (Lloyds out of stock at the time), 1/4 turn ring, replaced the IAC hoses, and tuned it with a Maximus.

I was not unhappy with the bike's ability to motivate itself before the tune but it was a very different experience after. Smoother throttle response and the engine spoiled up faster. I averaged about 37mpg over approximately 6k miles on this setup.

I think I attached the dyno sheet.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1