VOG Forum banner

Oil Cooler blocked by left Fairing.

2932 18
My local dealer showed me how the fairing on the left side, partially obstructs the flow of air through the oil cooler. He said they have been cutting a large notch out of it right behind the cooler so the hot air doesn't bounce back and forth into the cooler, and allows the air to pass through it once only, cooling it more.
Has anyone else heard of this?
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I agree on the testing side and in most cases would say on any product there has been testing, concern and modification. But, I have sat in production and design meetings with an auto manufacturer/importer and seen decisions made with appearance and cost the priority over functionality.
Do you think the intense heat on the right side is intentional?
Do you think the "no charging" issue on the ipod cable is intentional? et al?
But that's why they have warranties, service bulletins and techs. When you do look at the left fairing from the back, it is easy to see how it obstructs a lot of exiting airflow from the oil cooler. Maybe not enough to be concerned with. I dont know. That's why I asked. We all know these puppies run way too hot on the legs, right? It would just be nice to find all the possible ways to cool it more!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
What testing for this mod has your dealer done? What if his design doesn't do as he assumes and you cook your engine? Will he replace it free and quickly? Without proper testing I would not assume he knows what he is talking about. He is a dealer NOT an engineer.
Look at the air dam under your car. Doesn't look like it should do the job but it has been tested and does the job.

·
Registered
72 Posts

I think we're probably the dealer in question here. We have a customer who owns a machine shop and a Vision. He has made a line of custom Victory parts and accessories for us and he came up with this modification not too long ago. He noticed a little overlap of the fairing behind the oil cooler and thought that the cooling could be improved by cutting a notch in the fairing. I've attached a photo of the cut-out fairing on the bike. He's been riding with this modification for about a month and a half so far and he said that he's seeing a 10-15 degree drop in oil temp (keep in mind it's summer in Tucson, AZ with ambient temps around 100 degrees). He also said that his left leg is a lot cooler because of the increased air-flow/decreased turbulence. If anyone has any specific questions I can relay them or put you in touch with our customer. Let me know.
-Carl

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks Carl. Your contribution within the FORUM has always been positive. I appreciate your time and wish all dealers demonstrated the same interactive communication, thinking out-of-the-box, and comittment that AZV does.
BTW, your suggestion of the hwy peg brackets was a winner. Bought em.
Next trip to Tombstone/Bisbee, I'll stop and personally say thanks! Truedat!
SP

·
Registered
811 Posts

Candubrain said:
I have to question that information. there would have been intensive testing of the design by the engineers.[/quote
True Brain, but the flaw in that theory is that the Victory wind tunnel is in Iowa. My right calf would beg to differ. I doubt they tested for 17 plus hr rides in 100 plus temps. There are definitely some bad vortex's created around the engine area. They need to put it back in the tunnel with the heat on. Slowed in construction zones my oil temps went to just under 300 on the dipstick guage. We would never see oil temps like that here in the Great White North.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
bobbyg said:
Candubrain said:
I have to question that information. there would have been intensive testing of the design by the engineers.[/quote
True Brain, but the flaw in that theory is that the Victory wind tunnel is in Iowa. My right calf would beg to differ. I doubt they tested for 17 plus hr rides in 100 plus temps. There are definitely some bad vortex's created around the engine area. They need to put it back in the tunnel with the heat on. Slowed in construction zones my oil temps went to just under 300 on the dipstick guage. We would never see oil temps like that here in the Great White North.
Point taken, but I must wonder if the oil is running cooler, how has that modification changed the air flow around the cylinder heads. I'm no expert, and I accept the findings, but unless you put a thermal imaging gun to the engine, you really don't know.

So you fellow crazy Cannuk where were you? Obviously not Nunavuk! Did you bring the Mrs.?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Candubrain said:
So you fellow crazy Cannuk where were you? Obviously not Nunavuk! Did you bring the Mrs.?
http://thevog.net/forums/display_topic/id_1848/
Left last Wed afternoon and picked Naj up at the Denver airport Friday morning.
She rode over the pass to Las Vegas with me and took a flight home Sunday afternoon.
Found out where the speed limiter kicks in. I think I am going to switch over to Amsoil and see if that makes a difference in the heat and stretch out the service interval. Looks like you had a great trip.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I like her style! How was your butt after that haul? I have found mine has broken in.
Oops, I think I'm hijacking this thread!
check this out before you switch oils.

http://www.Vision-Riders.com/articles.asp?Article=11077&fid=40

Brenda and I are leaving Tuesday for the Blueridge.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Candubrain said:
I like her style! How was your butt after that haul? I have found mine has broken in.
Oops, I think I'm hijacking this thread!
check this out before you switch oils.

http://www.Vision-Riders.com/articles.asp?Article=11077&fid=40

Brenda and I are leaving Tuesday for the Blueridge.
Loyd makes some great points but there isn't a Victory dealer every 2500 miles. Ams is available everywhere.
What butt I can't feel anything from the waist down.
The blueridge is a great ride. We have often run it from Shennandoah National park to Gatlinburg Tn. Have a great time.

·
Registered
247 Posts
bobbyg said:
Candubrain said:
Yeah, everyone knows it don't get hot in IA, humid either. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Whinecooler said:
I agree on the testing side and in most cases would say on any product there has been testing, concern and modification. But, I have sat in production and design meetings with an auto manufacturer/importer and seen decisions made with appearance and cost the priority over functionality.
But that's why they have warranties, service bulletins and techs. When you do look at the left fairing from the back, it is easy to see how it obstructs a lot of exiting airflow from the oil cooler. Maybe not enough to be concerned with. I dont know. That's why I asked. We all know these puppies run way too hot on the legs, right? It would just be nice to find all the possible ways to cool it more!
If your ipod is not charging you might be using the wrong cable I have not had any problems with the one I use.

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
texasgrumpy said:
Whinecooler said:
If your ipod is not charging you might be using the wrong cable I have not had any problems with the one I use.
It charges the older style, you can buy an adapter to make it work with the newer ones.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.