VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dumb question.... I have been on this site for a year now and have heard many complaints about the frequency of oil changes. I never really paid it any mind, Ihave been changing the oil in my bike every 2500 miles and moving on. I happened to look in my service manual (2008 Victory Kingpin/Vegas and on page 2.6 it says to change it every 5000 miles.
Is the book wrong or is what I have been reading wrong? I did notice in the Vision manual it does say 2500 miles...

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
dsjr70 said:
Dumb question.... I have been on this site for a year now and have heard many complaints about the frequency of oil changes. I never really paid it any mind, Ihave been changing the oil in my bike every 2500 miles and moving on. I happened to look in my service manual (2008 Victory Kingpin/Vegas and on page 2.6 it says to change it every 5000 miles.
Is the book wrong or is what I have been reading wrong? I did notice in the Vision manual it does say 2500 miles...
As stated in the manual, Re Oil Change:
Change Oil* (Note One Star)

*Replace at specified interval or annually. If driven in extreme conditions, engine oil and filter should be changed every 2,500 miles
(examples: frequent operation in stop-and-go traffic, short trips, dusty conditions, fully loaded, aggressive riding, high ambient temperatures).

Air FIlter*** (Note 3 Stars Referes to Air filter only)

***Change every 5,000 miles if operated regularly in dusty environments. (*** Referes Only to Air Filter)

In other words change oil every 2,500 Miles.
Change Air Filter every 10,000 miles unless this applies.
***Change every 5,000 miles if operated regularly in dusty environments.
OT

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I typically ride between 2-3,000 miles a month so I have been changing it every month. If I stretched it out to 5k it would have saved me 6 oil change at $103 each

·
Registered
72 Posts

dsjr70 said:
I typically ride between 2-3,000 miles a month so I have been changing it every month. If I stretched it out to 5k it would have saved me 6 oil change at $103 each
The book reads change oil every 2500 miles, so if you ride a lot of highway miles then you you could strech it safely to 3,000 miles in my opinon.
But the 5,000 mile change only applies to the air filter if you are in a dusty area otherwise it is changed at 10,000 miles.
Chu

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AndyNorth said:
dsjr70 said:
The book reads change oil every 2500 miles, so if you ride a lot of highway miles then you you could strech it safely to 3,000 miles in my opinon.
But the 5,000 mile change only applies to the air filter if you are in a dusty area otherwise it is changed at 10,000 miles.
Chu
I just looked at the shop manual again and page 2.6 clearly states every 5000 for the oil and I just pulled out my owners manual and on page 83 it also says the same thing. I also called my dealer yesterday and he confirmed that oil is every 5000.

·
Registered
72 Posts
dsjr70 said:
AndyNorth said:
dsjr70 said:
Chu
I just looked at the shop manual again and page 2.6 clearly states every 5000 for the oil and I just pulled out my owners manual and on page 83 it also says the same thing. I also called my dealer yesterday and he confirmed that oil is every 5000.
My book on page 83 says change the oil every 4,000 ...............Kms LOL and the book I haveis good for the Vegas too.
Check the Polaris site for their manual downloads, I did.
Chu

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't want to get into an oil brand debate but there does seem to be a some confusion on change interval. Actually it depends on which owners manual you look at. The 09 Vegas Kingpin manual has a replace oil every 2500miles(4000Kl.) and the 08 Vegas Kingpin owners manual has a replace oil every 5000miles(8000kl.). Which one is right? Maybe Victory needs some proof reading on the manuals. The 2500 miles is a very short interval compared to any other bike from what I've seen no matter what the brand or type. Maybe Victory could clear this up seeing as that they build the bikes and print the manuals.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

That is even stranger, I can see the Vision and the Vegas being different but dont the Kingpin and the Vegas share the same drivetrain? Agrred, no more oil brand debates, that has gotten old...lol
But seriously, this needs to be cleared up. Monday when I get to the office I will scan the pages out of the shop manual and Owners manual to prove I am not crazy...

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey good catch OT, I would not have thought to check the other years. I wonder which is right. I am meeting my dealer tomorrow at Bikefest and will bring that up to him and see what he says.

·
Registered
752 Posts

I believe the 2008's have lower compression and advanced timing, but I wouldn't think that would make a difference.
Has it been confirmed with Victory that the oil change on the 2008's should be 2500 mi?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The service manual for the 08 Vegas Kingpin has the same interval as the owners manual. The service manual says change oil and filter every 5000 miles unless driven under extreme conditions then the interval is 2500 miles which makes sense. I would guess it's a typo in the other manuals because they wouldn't have the extreme condition note if they wanted it changed at 2500 miles no matter what. I could see it if the Victory engine was high performance and ran extremely hot but that isn't the case. c

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OneThumb said:
What do the Shop Manuals state? Is there a new Shop Manual published every year?
Should Victory call for a recall on their 2008 models?
LOL
OT
The shop manual agrees with the service manual. I talked to my dealer today and he said he would verify on Monday.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.