VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone explain the frequent oil change schedule on the Victory bikes. I've owned lots of bikes before but never had one that required oil changes at 2500 miles!!

I like riding long distances and on a decent trip that will require me to find a dealer and get a couple of oil changes on the road. What's up with that?

What happens if the oil is not changed quite as frequently as suggested?

Will a full synthetic or synthetic blend help go longer between changes?

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Moose381 said:
Can anyone explain the frequent oil change schedule on the Victory bikes. I've owned lots of bikes before but never had one that required oil changes at 2500 miles!!

oil and air cooled, wet sump. I agree it seems a little too frequent but maybe the oil takes a beating. Try doing a used oil analysis and see what the data returns.

I like riding long distances and on a decent trip that will require me to find a dealer and get a couple of oil changes on the road. What's up with that?

Maybe nothing, maybe you'll burn up some bearings. In either case you'll have to decide. However I've gone much longer on oil changes than the recommended with no ill effects. I cannot however recommend you do the same since driving styles/conditions change from area to area and person to person.

there's no proof of any benefit I've ever seen. Maybe try a used oil analysis and see what it tells you.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Moose381 said:

Because they said too. Seems to work, I have never had any issues.
Vic oil is a synthetic blend
I have always changed at 2500 and 3000 when I use the Blend. Amsoil is what I normally run is at 3-3500.
Bring a filter and do it on the side of the road or at any dealer.

• Winner
Reactions: Visiondale

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
I'll leave the "why" part to someone with more technical knowledge of the engines and transmissions, but I will comment on the long range trip question. The bikes can definitely run longer than the 2500 mile requirement. Last year several of us took a trip to Key West from Chicago (~3200 miles) without the oil change in the middle of the trip. I actually had about 700 miles on the oil before I left on that trip and did not feel like changing it so soon, so by the time I got back and had the oil changed I had logged about 4000 miles on that oil. Everything was just perfect at that change. I personally change my oil about every 3000 miles. Others with a strong technical knowledge may disagree with that decision but that is my take. I know others riding Visions are pushing their oil changes out somewhat but that is completely a personal choice.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The only problem I can see is if your bike is under warranty and something happens to the engine. I would think they could use that to void the warranty if they wanted to.

·
Registered
233 Posts
So does changing your own oil void the warranty? If not how do you document it; take a picture of the odometer? Spending three bills for scheduled service every couple months is getting kinda old!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I have a maintenance log book for each vehicle-save all my receipts and document all work done, self performed & by dealer It has proven time & time again to be valuable- evaluating different brand of tires, batteries, brake pads, etc. plus it adds to the retail value of the vehicle & is absolutely a valid document in any warranty dispute.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I agree with you. $275 is lot every time you get the oil changed. I am going to change my own after the first service. I can see where you would want to take it back to the dealer for some of the maintenance items, but certainly not a simple oil and filter change. I am going to keep the receipt for the oil change kit and take a picture of the odometer with the date stamp on it. Print the picture and staple it to the receipt.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ultimately I think when one has a mechanical failure while under warranty it's people like Kevinx who work as a wrench for the dealer who will make a determination whether your failure will be covered under warranty or not. Even following the recommended service schedule does not put you under the "blanket" of warranty coverage. And I still cant figure out why my 08 kingpin has an oil change interval of 5000 mile and other models are less? What gives..........

·
Registered
2,518 Posts

onerider said:
And I still cant figure out why my 08 kingpin has an oil change interval of 5000 mile and other models are less? What gives..........
Victory went to 5000mile intervals on their 08 bikes, but if you read the fine print they reccomend earlier if in not ideal conditions. On another thread here a couple guys stated that they noticed more noise and clutch issues with longer change intervals, especially if they were in hot climates.

Reactions: BlackDragon

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
There has to be some common sense that enters into your decision of when to change your oil. If you're doing a lot of highway miles, your engine stays relatively cool then I would think it's safe to go much longer than the 2500. However if you're sitting in a lot of city traffic at high temperatures cooking that oil, I would want it out of there possibly even sooner than 2500 miles.

• Winner
Reactions: BlackDragon

·
Registered
71 Posts
I change synthetic oil every 5000 miles regardless of time. Jet engines use Mobil 2 and you never change the oil, you add after every flight.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Back in the 70's when Mobil 1 came out oil changes were done every 25,000 miles and those engines were a lot dirtier than today's engines.

·
Registered
71 Posts
On my cars is every 10,000 miles like every 2 to 3 years. My last Acura had 325,000 when I got rid of it.
I don't drive much anymore like 3 to 5 thousand miles a year. Never had a problem with oil.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
On my cars is every 10,000 miles like every 2 to 3 years. My last Acura had 325,000 when I got rid of it.
I don't drive much anymore like 3 to 5 thousand miles a year. Never had a problem with oil.
Your car is liquid cooled and doesn't have the manual trans gears and geared primary drive sheering your oil to hell.

• Winner
Reactions: nickr914

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
yah.. even the later model vics w/ the cross cut gears I wouldn't wanna go past 10K no matter what kind of wunderkinder oil you're using. If you listen to your bike it'll tell you when it's time to change the oil.. gets notchy shifting.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Your car is liquid cooled and doesn't have the manual trans gears and geared primary drive sheering your oil to hell.
I didn't realized that. You are correct.

Reactions: bikendad

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
4000 miles OR when the shifting starts getting notchy.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.