VOG Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did my own oil change at 2500 M. / 4000 Km. The dealer did the initial service. The shop manual for the 2010 Vic Vision says the oil capacity is 5 U.S. quarts but shows in brackets, 4.5 U.S. quarts for an oil and filter change.
I put my bike on the centre stand on level ground, drained all the oil from the c. case and pulled the filter as well. I added 4.5 quarts, measuring the last half quart into a measuring cup before adding it to the c. case. The Vic oil change kit actually comes with six U.S. quarts.
I did a short test run then checked the dip stick (I have one of the Vic. oil temp sticks). The level linesare very difficult to see so I clean it dry and wrap some blue painters tape above the upper mark to make it easier to see the exact level. Just don't forget to pull the tape off before you go for a ride. It showed way too much oil. I used a hand pump and pumped out about 8 onces then re-checked the level. Still too much! So I pumped out another 8 onces. Now about a eight of an inch above the upper line on the stick. So this brings the total oil installed back downto 4 quarts.
What are other Vic. Vision riders finding that they are putting in during an oil & filter change???

·
Registered
255 Posts

The oil is meant to be drained with the bike on the side stand, not on a center stand or otherwise upright. When draining the old oil and it stops running, pull down on the left handlbar a bit and hold the bike there; you'll be surprised at how much more dirty oil comes out. Then straddle the bike and pull it upright off ther sidestand, tilt it a little to your right (careful, not so much as to risk dropping it...) hold it there for a minute, set it back down on the stand, and pull down on the left handlebar again and hold it down a minute; more dirty oil will drain out. Replace the plug with a new crush washer and the filter. Use a torque wrench on the plug if you don't want to risk twisting it off at some point in the future. Add 4 quarts of fresh oil and check, with the dipstick screwed in and the bike upright. You should then need about 1/4 to a little more than 1/2 of a quart to bring it to full on the dipstick. Start and run the bike a minute or two to get the oil pumped into the filter and the oil cooler. Shut the motor off, let it cool down and the oil drain down into the bottom of the motor for a few minutes. Check it again and adjust if neccessary. You may also want to find the down tube under the fairing on the left side, the one with the plug in the end, and remove the plug with tube over a can or jar to catch the glop and/or water which will drain from the airbox, especially if you've been riding inh the rain recently, then replace the plug. A bit more of a project than some might want to undertake I know. but it will be done right.
P.S. I don't know if you took out more oil after seeing the level 1/8 in. above the full line, but if you didn't---Do. Running too much can be harmfull to you're motor. Draining the oil with the bike upright is doubtless why it was so overfilled....not nearly enough of the old oil; drained out. Since the bike is so new, you may wish to start all over again.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts

I have a Kingpin 09, drain oil on side stand, change filter and add 4 US quarts there is always a little oil that remains in the left cover case that is seperate from the crankcase. Two quarts left over for the next change. Buy 2 Victory kits, 1 extra filter+ copper washer = 3 oil changes.
OT

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I made that mistake the first time I did a change on the XC, dumped 4 1/2 cans of oil in it and it pegged the dipstick. Sucked more the 1/2 a bottle back out then looked at the bottles and realized they were liters, not quarts (Castrol). DOH.

I think Kevin has said it's 4.25 quarts with a filter and if you do the trick to get that last drop out. I suspect that last 1/4 quart is stuck in the cooler.....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just did the first oil and filter change on my 09 Vision on the side stand and it took exactly 4.5 quarts and it was up to the full line after running it and letting the oil draiin back down. Checked it again after 200 miles and had the same reading. Had better make sure that you have it on the side stand when draining oil.

Reactions: Dan in Mt.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
ca95 said:
Just did the first oil and filter change on my 09 Vision on the side stand and it took exactly 4.5 quarts and it was up to the full line after running it and letting the oil draiin back down. Checked it again after 200 miles and had the same reading. Had better make sure that you have it on the side stand when draining oil.
You did check the level with the bike vertical, not on the side stand, right?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

mjw930 said:
ca95 said:
You did check the level with the bike vertical, not on the side stand, right?
Yes. With the bike on the centre stand it is bang on the upper mark on the dip stick. Planning a trip to the east coast to do the Cabot trail in two weeks, so based on the info received here I am off to Peak Powersports today to buy another oil change kit and start fresh. Want nothing but the best for my baby!
Thanks all, for the input and tips!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.