VOG Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a quick search but didn't get any results. I did my first oil change this week and want to be sure I've put enough (but not too much) in.

I bought the kit with 6 quarts of oil. According to the '09 manual, I should be putting back 8.75-9.0 pints (4.0-4.25 litres) of oil. First of all, how hard is it to sell oil using the same unit of measure? Luckily I had my iphone with me that told me 4.25 litres is 4.49 quarts (US). So that means I should have 1.5 quarts left over after each oil change and every 4th change is free! (except for the filter)

Anyway, I put in 4 quarts just to be safe and let the bike warm up and measured the oil. It was low. So I put in the other half quart and repeated the process. Still measuring low. I rode it to and from work today, the oil light stayed off. But it's low I'm sure. So, three questions (The first one is most important to me):

1) What is the amount of oil you've found is just right for your '09 Vegas?
2) Why doesn't Victory have a better idea how much oil I need. Their low end is too low and their top end is too low!
3) Why the silly business of warming your engine up, letting it cool down 3-5 minutes before measuring the level? It should be: Pour x amount of oil in, clean the dipstick, put it in, pull it out and measure. They should be able to calculate how much is needed around the engine, oil cooler, etc and adjust for it.

Cheers,
Jason

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow and wow!

Yep, after sitting longer the reading is near spot on (at 4.5, I'm sure 4.6 would be exact)

There's a 5qt jug? Is it really that much cheaper or are you using Amsoil? (ducks head - just kidding). I'll look up the Mazda filter, what are your thoughts on it though? Same as in "it works" or same as in "oem"?

Thanks Kevin

·
Registered
41 Posts
when you drop the filter you may be taking oil from the sump that may not be re filled until the bike is started. This is why you should run the bike then check the level. As for getting the bike up to temp then re checking. Victory wants this because they want to have the full oil level when the oil is expanded. If you filled it to cold mark then ran it for 10 seconds then re adjust it may come back as over full once the oil is good and hot. Letting it cool is more for allowing all the oil to come to rest in the sump for proper measurement. ( and not to be insulting I'm hoping you are checking the bike while level) or as per manual directions. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
445 Posts
From what my local Victory tech tells me, the older ( 5-speed transmission ) bikes take 6 US quarts with a filter change. The newer bikes ( 6-speed transmission ) take 5 quarts with a filter change. I was able to speak with a Victory engineer about this and he explained that the early bikes had so much oil and oil cooler capacity, that the oil was not reaching proper operating temperature for an excessively long time. That is why the newer bikes have slightly less oil and a much smaller oil cooler. Also, from what my tech tells me, the correct procedure is to run the engine until the oil is up to temp ( the oil will expand slightly when hot ) and then to cut the engine off and take a reading immediately afterward. This accounts for the oil that is in the oil lines and cooler that will drain back into the crankcase if you wait long enough. Also, unless you are very, very flexible, checking the oil is much easier with 2 people as the bike must be held vertical ( not on the side stand ) to get an accurate reading. Obviously, if you have a bike lift, like they to in the shop, then it is a one person affair. Following this procedure, my friends 2004 Kingpin ( 5-speed ) and my 2011 Kingpin ( 6-speed ) both show right on the full mark after an oil and filter change.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.